Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

It's in the news, it has to be true:

Air Force aims to land more top guns amid pilot shortage

http://www.latimes.c...0,2152468.story

That number seems low, but it is in the news.

Interesting, but simply cannot be true considering what GC and Liquid have passed on BODN. "There's nothing to see here boys, what pilot shortage?" I think the next few years are going to be an awakening when the exodus starts. Who knows, maybe the AF will actually see that SOF/mobility are short-manned also and offer up stupid-sized bonuses for all... don't count on many taking it when we can bail and spend time with family - and make more cash - and deal with less BS - and not be accused of (insert random sexual assault/alcohol related incident here) - and not check absurd boxes to get promoted - etc, etc, etc...

• Upvote 1

Take a peek at APC for hiring stats on each Major Legacy airline. Of the six posted, five are hiring or planning on hiring in 2013. Included in this is Delta and United, both of which are hiring a considerable amount now. For those lacking the hours or competitive resumes, have no fear. American Eagle is picking up 600+ this year.

I'm not raving about airlines, I don't think I have any desire to go that way. Facts are facts. The USAF has porked it away and the airlines will need the bodies. it will be funny as hell to watch.

American Eagle is picking up 600+ this year.

Won't happen. There is a massive shortage of qualified pilots that have ATP mins (willing to work for regional wages). Back in March, the Captain in charge of hiring at American Eagle said they had 5, yes 5, qualified applicants on file.

I predict that hiring at every major and most LCCs will be in full swing by Spring 2014. Now's a good time to get out.

Won't happen. There is a massive shortage of qualified pilots that have ATP mins (willing to work for regional wages). Back in March, the Captain in charge of hiring at American Eagle said they had 5, yes 5, qualified applicants on file.

I predict that hiring at every major and most LCCs will be in full swing by Spring 2014. Now's a good time to get out.

'11Xs won't separate until the bonus comes out," (according to an unnamed source at 'the pentagon') so we're good. The Air Force will just wait until late 2014 to release the bonus for next year to keep guys in long enough to miss the spring hiring boom. We got this covered! Oh, and as a teaser, I hear the bonus is going up for all MWSs with a bigger 'up front' amount...AAAAND I heard the stripper rumor is back on the table. Don't go separating too soon or you'll miss out!

(Disclaimer: None of this is true...but if I was CSAF...it would be almost 70% true...probably 69% or so)

Trying to figure out taxes my ACP pay that just got depositied: looks like they witheld out 30.27% by my calculations. Any of you tax experts know why this would be higher than the 28% max I was expecting to be taken? Made about a 4k difference.

Interesting, but simply cannot be true considering what GC and Liquid have passed on BODN. "There's nothing to see here boys, what pilot shortage?" I think the next few years are going to be an awakening when the exodus starts. Who knows, maybe the AF will actually see that SOF/mobility are short-manned also and offer up stupid-sized bonuses for all... don't count on many taking it when we can bail and spend time with family - and make more cash - and deal with less BS - and not be accused of (insert random sexual assault/alcohol related incident here) - and not check absurd boxes to get promoted - etc, etc, etc...

Lets make one thing clear here, the bonus is not stupid-sized, it's the same bonus, just over a longer period. All smoke and mirrors man. I got a 1 million dollar bonus from the Air Force when I signed up, they just spread it out over 12 years.

Yup, the issue here is all about money, it has nothing to do with quality of life, one does not equal the other.

Trying to figure out taxes my ACP pay that just got depositied: looks like they witheld out 30.27% by my calculations. Any of you tax experts know why this would be higher than the 28% max I was expecting to be taken? Made about a 4k difference.

Any % going to TSP? What about state taxes?

• Upvote 1

I love how the picture features a helicopter pilot in an article about fighter pilot retention. That's how you know AOL put some thought into that piece.

What's even better is that it's not even an Air Force helicopter.

9 years, that's a lot of 365's. But who are we kidding, the only people who are going to take this already have their futures written for them and were going to stay in anyway.

I'd say that the vast majority of the guys taking the bonus are the guys who were going to stay in anyway. Though I'd be willing to bet that a lot of guys on the fence can be swayed to stay in with a nice a bonus.

But as I have said before, as far as Big Blue is concerned, it's not all about changing guys' minds to stay in vs get out...I think it's more about getting a commitment from guys so that they can't drop papers at the moment they don't like their next assignment/deployment. It's hard to manage a force when a guy will separate just because you gave him a 365, after all, somebody has to take the deployment. I'm not making excuses for the Air Force not being able to more effectively manage their rated guys, just saying that the bonus helps them do it better vs without the bonus....and then leave it up to AFPC/Big Blue to screw up the rest.

Anyone want to guess on the total take for the current eligibles? The percentage I heard today (thus far) is barely double digits.

Correct. 12ish percent to be exact. I'm sure that 50% are waiting to submit their paperwork over the next couple of months.

Edit: Yes, I realize the numbers in the attachment reflect finalized agreements.

post-6663-0-99545600-1374641290_thumb.pn

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions from that. There could be 400 applications processing for all we know.

Bob's voicemail message says he has a backlog of more than 250 applications to build. Expect the numbers to jump to closer to 50% take rate within a month to 6 weeks if everyone that started one finalizes it.

Any % going to TSP? What about state taxes?

No state taxes, I have TSP pulled from base pay (10%) so this doesn;t make sense. Only thing I could think of was SS and medicare (hadn;t figured on them) but I ran the numbers and can;t make anything add up to the amount witheld.

No state taxes, I have TSP pulled from base pay (10%) so this doesn;t make sense. Only thing I could think of was SS and medicare (hadn;t figured on them) but I ran the numbers and can;t make anything add up to the amount witheld.

Did you take the 11f 50% up front or the 25k per year for 5 years? If so, what is the actual dollar amount you got deposited and we can help look at the math.

Did you take the 11f 50% up front or the 25k per year for 5 years? If so, what is the actual dollar amount you got deposited and we can help look at the math.

50% up front until 20yrs which ends Nov 2021. Just checked my LES, ACP was $104,583.33....I'm guessing something must be pro-rated since I'm only committed until 20YASD- Nov 8 2021 but I can't make the math work to make sense. Heres what I can make work but it assumes pro-rated for FY13 and FY21 and I have been overpaid a year.

Paid $104,583 x 2= $209,166 total ACP = 8 years and 132 days (25k/12 = $2083 bonus per month) ($2083/30 = $69.43 per day on the bonus)

Signed the bonus 27 June 13, new ADSC is 9 Nov 2021 which IF pro rated would = 7 years and 132 days on the bonus.

I can't help but think that 132 days is not coincidence but I thought the if any proration was done I'd be paid for 8 years and 39 days = 202,707.

Did I miss a proration note in the ACP verbiage?

50% up front until 20yrs which ends Nov 2021. Just checked my LES, ACP was $104,583.33....I'm guessing something must be pro-rated since I'm only committed until 20YASD- Nov 8 2021 but I can't make the math work to make sense. Heres what I can make work but it assumes pro-rated for FY13 and FY21 and I have been overpaid a year.

Paid $104,583 x 2= $209,166 total ACP = 8 years and 132 days (25k/12 = $2083 bonus per month) ($2083/30 = $69.43 per day on the bonus)

Signed the bonus 27 June 13, new ADSC is 9 Nov 2021 which IF pro rated would = 7 years and 132 days on the bonus.

I can't help but think that 132 days is not coincidence but I thought the if any proration was done I'd be paid for 8 years and 39 days = 202,707.

Did I miss a proration note in the ACP verbiage?

This brings up some good points. I didn't see anything about proration and was wondering how that would affect me as well. My aviation start date was January 02.

I have only done the AMS application but haven't received an actual agreement to sign yet.

I will go take a look at the message again to see if it describes proration.

50% up front until 20yrs which ends Nov 2021. Just checked my LES, ACP was $104,583.33....

Just out of curiosity man, what are your financial plans with the half up front $$? And if you don't wish the share the info, that's cool too.

Just out of curiosity man, what are your financial plans with the half up front $$? And if you don't wish the share the info, that's cool too.

Not 100% sure but leaning towards putting it on my mortage for a rental property. I only have a 3.375% rate but its the highest loan I have so I figure I could pocket an extra $200 per month in interest savings that way.

I thought about doing the 25K per year but I think inflation is bound to creep up and eat away. Did the math and the 1/2 up front made sense for my tax bracket.

Got any ideas?

This brings up some good points. I didn't see anything about proration and was wondering how that would affect me as well. My aviation start date was January 02.

I have only done the AMS application but haven't received an actual agreement to sign yet.

I will go take a look at the message again to see if it describes proration.

Just figured out the math. Accepted the agreement on 27 June....the only way to get the full $225K is to stay in until 27 June 2022 in my case.....but my 20YAS is up 9 Nov 2021.

So BL is the 9 year contract is based off acceptance date on the website.......which now brings me to question whether you can actually get the full $225K or if at 20YAS they say, thanks, ######-off, gotcha to sign.

In my opinion misleading, I figured that it was $225K period. Would have taken it regardless, I am just now groomed to expect shady shit from the USAF.