Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Sorry, but this really gets under my skin...dudes need to sack up...you want your bosses to listen to you but you always blame the environment as to why you cannot provide feedback. Having been a Sq/CC, I am sure there are dudes who were "afraid" to come see me, but from the looks of my overcrowded calendar, there were just as many, if not more, who were ready, willing and able to come sit down and chat about anything under the sun, including telling me where they thought things were going terribly wrong.

What you are saying is that the Sq/CC is damned if he does do an interview and damned if he doesn't. Maybe it won't help the one guy who decided to get out but if there are systemic issues at that Commanders level then he can do something to fix them for the next guy, right? Change things to make the organization better?

Stop with the pissing and moaning about how no one listens. I have never had a boss that was not willing to listen in more than 12 assignments. We may not have seen eye to eye and when we sat behind closed doors, they knew exactly where I was coming from. Sometimes they changed things, sometimes they didn't.

I did not want a bunch of Yes, men in my organization. However, we all have to remember that some decisions are made for the betterment of the AF and the unit and when they do individual bitches take a back seat. Other times, that is not the case.

I have never once been scared to be blunt with a commander on any level... especially behind closed doors, but I'd say I am most definitely the exception these days. I would do it on almost a weekly basis with my last OG/CC where at the end of the day when it was just the two of us left in the office I'd ask him if we could close the door and talk. After doing this 2-3 times he asked me why I kept telling him all of this negative shit and I said that I was telling him all the things he didn't want to hear (in private), but probably needed to hear. It wasn't anything about him, it was mostly telling him what I was hearing from the line guys. He said, "...and that is why I need you working for me!" The next day at the end of the OG Staff meeting he did the around the room thing but said, "OK guys... you just spent 45 mins telling me what I wanted to hear, now we're going to spend the next 15 mins where you tell me what I don't want to hear." He was a great Commander!

i don't think anyone is confused about the fact that the "needs of the AF" come first. From everything that I've seen you post I'm guessing that you would be a guy that would be great to work for/with, but I'd say that lately the actions you said you have taken as a Commander would put you in the minority (same with Liquid). I don't need to tell you that just one comment of the Chang variety saying "if you don't like it then just leave because you are lucky to be here" will make almost everyone keep quiet for fear of rocking the boat (no strat, bad jobs, no push for XYZ opportunity). Unfortunately I've seen way more Changs than Herks in the past 10 yrs or so. The Bonus isn't going to convice most people to stay (many on here have said it was not a factor at all in their decision)... its just an added extra for those who decided for one reason or another to stay.

Edited by Rusty Pipes

That is what it takes...most people are just trying to do the best they can for their people and the AF. They will take any and all feedback that they can get.

Many of my bosses have always had a "trusted agent" that they could get the ground truth from.

I agree that very few people are swayed by the bonus.

Do you have facts to prove that? I've seen otherwise...folks are flowing out and assignments to return to fly are still dropping.

Yup. I've only seen 2 dudes actually escape AFSOC in nearly 7 years. Not saying there aren't more, and I can't speak to the RPA side of the house, but like I said, I only know of 2. I do know, however, that a lot of guys have tried. I hope guys are getting more opportunities to move on, especially from RPAs, but I can tell you that AFSOC will not let you go without a serious fight.

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty...

You know, I truly hope you get promoted on your Lt Col IPZ board in two years & subsequently get picked for Squadron CC. Maybe then, you'll be able to display your superior leadership skills & solve all of the Air Force's problems.

Rusty, Rusty, Rusty...

You know, I truly hope you get promoted on your Lt Col IPZ board in two years & subsequently get picked for Squadron CC. Maybe then, you'll be able to display your superior leadership skills & solve all of the Air Force's problems.

Translation: Fix the mess made by shoe clerk ass hats who sit around and tell themselves they are Warriors all day. Chang you have obviously displayed such leadership qualities since you started trolling on here... you must have got your Masters as a 2 Lt!!!

Nah, I finished my Masters as a senior Captain. Worked out great- I put away the distractions (such as blogs) and actually had extra time with my family!

Work-life balance Rusty...put away the blog for a few days, and give your wife and kids a hug with the extra 5 hours that are suddenly free in your schedule. Heck, you'd even have enough time to go back to school & get one of those "real" Masters you're always pining after!

Okay, so that's likely to piss you off more. I'm sorry. You just come across to everyone as such an angry, bitter person because you weren't granted "select" status at your 2009 board, and it's too easy to give you crap. I really do hope you'll discover the good that you've done in your career, because I'm sure it's substantial. The honest truth, though, is there's nothing anyone on this board can say to you that takes your pain away of "getting screwed" at the board.

You just come across to everyone as such an angry, bitter person because you weren't granted "select" status at your 2009 board, and it's too easy to give you crap. I really do hope you'll discover the good that you've done in your career, because I'm sure it's substantial. The honest truth, though, is there's nothing anyone on this board can say to you that takes your pain away of "getting screwed" at the board.

I'm glad you can speak for everyone on here. BTW... I have no idea what you are talking about when you say I wasn't granted "select" status on the 2009 board. I've never talked about me being a select or non-select for any board and wasn't involved with any board for anything in 2009. I am very well aware of the good I've done in my career and hopefully you'll be glad to hear that anyone who has ever known/worked/flown with me would be laughing their asses off if they heard you describe me as a bitter or angry person.

There are lots of good things that we do in the AF, but there are lots of other things that are straight up FUBAR! Sometimes you just need to call the ugly baby ugly and tell the boss that despite the good intentions sometimes his great idea just isn't that great (obviously tactfully and never in public). I have no problem if someone tells me my idea sucks or my way of doing things doesn't work anymore... if anyone else has a better way of doing something then lets do it that way! I'm not worried about trying to get promoted or going to school or getting some made up strat on my OPR... I have no interest at all in becoming a General; I've worked directly for several (3 Generals and an SES 3 Star equiv) and I most definitely don't want their jobs. Maybe that is why I have had no problem being very blunt with them and also why they have all asked what I thought about things because they knew they weren't going to get a BS answer. I most certainly want this to be the best AF we can have and think we have outstanding people at every level. I agree that you need to come to your boss with solutions, I just think in certain areas everyone knows that what we are doing doesn't make sense, but they don't want to say anything because it was the boss' idea.

Edited by Rusty Pipes

Fair enough- good response.

Oh shit... Did Chang and I just quasi agree on something?!? Hey, I know everyone on here wants things to get better... and there are lots of different opinions on how to make that happen; some good and some bad. I don't see any major changes that are going to make a difference for me before I start hopefully collecting a wake up check and starting career #2 in a few years, but there has to be a medium between the numbers game and the actual people making the mission happen day in and day out.

Because as soon as you "turn your back" on Big Blue, you're dead to it.

I knew that!

When I was talking to my bro's in the squadron before I dropped my separation paperwork, a few of them thought that my decision to exit would surely catch someone's attention at my base...I knew it wouldn't and that no one would say shit...I was right!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Just went all in filled out the application on AMS for the 11F/20 YAS $. Bob's machine says there are already over 250 turned in so far. Anybody gotten the actual contract to sign yet?

Submitted mine on 27 June...still pending. An 11R submitted for the normal 5 yr option on the same day and had the money in less than a week.

Edited by di1630

I admit that I am a total retard when it comes to filing taxes. I've done a little reading on max income to contribute to Roth IRAs. Anybody thought about if taking the 11F 50% up front if it will push them beyond that limit? I see that in 2012 the max for married filing jointly is 173K.

Edited by epsilon

Jaded--copy that. I don't want this thread to go the way of taxes so I will shut up for now. On another note, anybody figured/guestimated what the actual net payment will be after taxes if and 11F takes 50% up front?

Jaded--copy that. I don't want this thread to go the way of taxes so I will shut up for now. On another note, anybody figured/guestimated what the actual net payment will be after taxes if and 11F takes 50% up front?

82.1K is a good starting point assuming 28% taken out.

Depends on your situation. For me, with a wife who works part time, 2 kids and a house, 10% base to TSP, my taxable income will fall into the 28% bracket for the bonus portion. Part of the bonus $ (about (70k) will be taxed at 25% and the other 42.5k will be taxed into the 28% bracket.

Unless you have a wife working full time in a good paying job or you have som elarge form of alternate income, you probably won't see anything worse than 28% for a portion of your income.

BL, assume 28% taken out = $82.1k and thats about right for net but in the end, probably less.

82.1K is a good starting point assuming 28% taken out.

Depends on your situation. For me, with a wife who works part time, 2 kids and a house, 10% base to TSP, my taxable income will fall into the 28% bracket for the bonus portion. Part of the bonus $ (about (70k) will be taxed at 25% and the other 42.5k will be taxed into the 28% bracket.

Unless you have a wife working full time in a good paying job or you have som elarge form of alternate income, you probably won't see anything worse than 28% for a portion of your income.

BL, assume 28% taken out = $82.1k and thats about right for net but in the end, probably less.

Almost correct. When you do your Taxes that statemnt is true. When they write the check to you they tax it all in the highest bracket.

Almost correct. When you do your Taxes that statemnt is true. When they write the check to you they tax it all in the highest bracket.

So sm I correct in assuming that the full 28% will be taken up front out and I'll see the rest as a refund at tax time?

So sm I correct in assuming that the full 28% will be taken up front out and I'll see the rest as a refund at tax time?

Yes, that is how they were doing it with the 25K per year. However, I would not put it past them to go ahead and tax it at 33 to pay for Obama Care.

In the end, you just do the math on the check you get, trying to figure out their math ahead of time will just give you a headache.

Edited by Butters

The $112,500 up front will most likely take you out of the running for the Roth IRA. However, there is a legal way around it. In tax year 2013, contribute your $5,500 (or $11,000 if filing jointly) into a non-deductible IRA. In tax year 2014 (regardless of your 2014 income), recategorize your non-deductible IRA into a Roth IRA (paying the applicable taxes), and boom goes the dynamite.

It's in the news, it has to be true:

Air Force aims to land more top guns amid pilot shortage

http://www.latimes.c...0,2152468.story

US Airways and American are anticipating the retirement of more than 2,100 pilots within five years because of the mandatory retirement age of 65.

In all, 153 fighter pilots were permanently reassigned to drones.

That number seems low, but it is in the news.