Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

I took the one year bonus, $30k. Paid in two installments: 25+5.

First installment paid today: $18.75k, so taxed at a 25% rate.  Second install should arrive in the next few weeks.

18 months left before I hit 20 years, so it was a no-brainer. 

From submitting my app to the first chunk of money in the bank was 21 days. 

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, g2s said:

First installment paid today: $18.75k, so taxed at a 25% rate.  Second install should arrive in the next few weeks.

Gamble invest it all in Titan Medical.

40 minutes ago, g2s said:

Guard or reserve bonus?

1 hour ago, HU&W said:

I think the short bonus may exist to give the perception of fixing the bonus take rate.  Take rate was so low...increased take rate 300%; promote now!

This

The report issued on bonus take rates only breaks it down into bonus takers / total eligible.  If they continue it to match previous years, then the 1 year bonus takers will fix the glitch. 

1 hour ago, NKAWTG said:

This

The report issued on bonus take rates only breaks it down into bonus takers / total eligible.  If they continue it to match previous years, then the 1 year bonus takers will fix the glitch. 

They'll either have to present a breakdown or change their target percentage.  IIRC, HAF's goal is to retain ~65%.  If they start meeting the 65%, while still having a shortage due to guys taking and then bailing after a 1-2 year contract, Congress is going to have a serious wtf chat with leadership.  In the past few years, with the 5 and 9 year options being offered simultaneously, there was less fidelity lost by lumping the two together for reporting purposes.  Not differentiating between a 1-year and a 9-year contract will cause a gross misrepresentation. 

Found this in the Personnel Subcommittee's Markup of the 2018 NDAA:

"Section 6XX—Increase in Maximum Amount of Aviation Bonus for 12-Month Period

of Obligated Service

This section would amend section 334(c)(1)(B) of title 37, United States

Code, to increase the statutory limits for the aviation retention bonus to $50,000

and allow the Secretary concerned the flexibility to increase the aviation incentive

pay limit set forth in regulations issued by the Secretary of Defense under section

374 of title 37, United States Code. The Secretary of Defense should revise

applicable regulations as required."

4 hours ago, HU&W said:

I think the short bonus may exist to give the perception of fixing the bonus take rate.  Take rate was so low...increased take rate 300%; promote now!

I think the short bonus is a "stop the bleeding" measure. Because it's proven that the AF won't meet long-term retention goals with the 5 or 9 yr bonuses, then the short term bonus hopefully keeps enough dudes around to maintain current readiness, while planning for future force structure. 

1 hour ago, 3PAARO said:

I think the short bonus is a "stop the bleeding" measure. Because it's proven that the AF won't meet long-term retention goals with the 5 or 9 yr bonuses, then the short term bonus hopefully keeps enough dudes around to maintain current readiness, while planning for future force structure.

I really hope that the leadership knows this won't work.  I am watching entire year groups punch out .  At one base, in one squadron alone, I've heard that 9 of 12 bonus eligibles are separating after their 10 year ADSC...all instructors if the rumor mill is accurate.

2 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I really hope that the leadership knows this won't work.  I am watching entire year groups punch out .  At one base, in one squadron alone, I've heard that 9 of 12 bonus eligibles are separating after their 10 year ADSC...all instructors if the rumor mill is accurate.

I agree it won't work, just stating what I think is the reasoning behind it. We're handing out water wings as the Titanic sinks. 

6 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Truth.. Last time I was at Altus a few years ago my EP kept checking his phone during full stops.  I finally asked him about it and he was waiting to hear if his VSP was approved.  Apparently they had 15 or 20 guys apply in the 58th.  The AF lost some true talent from that pool of IPs.

Edited by MDDieselPilot
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, g2s said:

Why the two installments as opposed to one? 

When this summer does the flight pay raise happen??

Anyone have any insight on which year groups will be changed and how much?

I would assume it's only gonna be the over 6 and over 14, since that's the demographic they're targeting for retention.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anyone have any insight on which year groups will be changed and how much?

I would assume it's only gonna be the over 6 and over 14, since that's the demographic they're targeting for retention.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised to see the lower year groups see a bump as well. ACIP is paid to RPA pilots and Army WOs as well, and they don't have a ten-year commitment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is this you say? I've heard nothing of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

It was mentioned in the AvB announcement:

"The Air Force is also looking at additional monetary incentives for aviation, especially those targeted at mid-career aviators. The fiscal 2017 NDAA provided authorization to increase Aviation Incentive Pay, commonly known as monthly flight pay, which the service plans to increase this summer."

6 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

It was mentioned in the AvB announcement:

"The Air Force is also looking at additional monetary incentives for aviation, especially those targeted at mid-career aviators. The fiscal 2017 NDAA provided authorization to increase Aviation Incentive Pay, commonly known as monthly flight pay, which the service plans to increase this summer."

Yep this...why aren't people talking about this?  It's summer now and I haven't heard anything but I hope this happens soon

3 hours ago, pilotguy said:

Yep this...why aren't people talking about this?  It's summer now and I haven't heard anything but I hope this happens soon

Probably because the pay bump for 14 year guys will be less than a typical yearly bump in pay due to inflation, and likely no better for the 6 year level.  I mean, I'll take it, but $160 bump is a fancy dinner somewhere.

• Upvote 1