Hurlburt info

Murph

On 2/6/2013 at 7:23 PM, Hella-Copters said:

We're a family looking for a new-ish (< 10 years) 3/2 house on a decent sized lot (> 1/4 acre) in the 250k - 300k range. Also something with rental potential in the future. Would prefer < 30 minute commute. Would like to be not too far from shopping/parks/restaurants, etc. Basically a nice suburb with a strip mall or something...

Brand new home in Navarre can be had for less than that for sure. With the market picking up there is finally new construction again. I live right by Navarre High School, good school district, sidewalks in my neighborhood (try finding that in Holley by the Sea), walking distance to a park, sports fields, and the YMCA. Great for wife and kids.

And seriously...if you've ever spend any time living in a real city you will laugh when people complain about traffic on 98. I can count on one hand the number of times it's been horrible in 4+ years but my baseline is DC so take it FWIW. I find the aircrew schedule (i.e. not 0900-1730) is very conducive to missing the worst of the traffic.

P.S. - If you're looking to move-in sometime in July-August and want to rent vs. buy I've got a great place in mind you should check out!

Edited by nsplayr

• 4 years later...
Thread resurrection.  Moving this Summer.  Any updated info on the living situation at Hurby?  Has the new overpass at the main gate improved traffic on 98?

The overpass has helped with general traffic on 98 in front of the base but morning/afternoon traffic going into/out of base is still backed up and that will never change.

The housing situation hasn't changed a ton in the 6 years since we've moved here...live east of the base if you can but there are still some nice areas in Navarre if you're ok with the traffic

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

2 hours ago, HU&W said:

Thread resurrection.  Moving this Summer.  Any updated info on the living situation at Hurby?  Has the new overpass at the main gate improved traffic on 98?

Overpass hasn't done shit.  I am moving away from Navarre this summer.  Shoot me a PM if you want info on our house.

I can't speak to the family piece as I have no kids, but FWB and Mary Esther tend to have older homes.  That being said, I would much rather live in the FWB/ME area over Navarre right now given the commute time and proximity to the Destin Pass.  I fish offshore so anytime I could shave off my commute while still being faster offshore is a win/win.  If I could do it all over I would have purchased a smaller/older home in Destin.  We were actually looking to purchase a home in Destin with water access but that has since dried up given that we'll be heading to our white jet tour.

4 hours ago, HU&W said:

Awesome gouge.  Thx guys.  Are FWB/Mary Esther decent enough for a family, or is the drive (either direction) worthwhile?

Mary Esther Manor (my neighborhood), I would estimate that about 80% of the residents are either active duty or retired military. This is a very low crime area, it's located just east of Hurl Fld, and it's about a 4 or 5 minute drive to either of Hurl Flds main gates. Current property values (2017) mostly range from 180K to 300K (most in the 200k range).

2013 video I found of this neighborhood;

Note-If you have kids/something to consider; Location of registered sexual predators/offenders in this AO.

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Fort-Walton-Beach-Florida.html

http://www.city-data.com/so/so-Mary-Esther-Florida.html

Edited by waveshaper

5 hours ago, HU&W said:

Awesome gouge.  Thx guys.  Are FWB/Mary Esther decent enough for a family, or is the drive (either direction) worthwhile?

FWB/ME are fine for families...driving to navarre every day would take years off my life why choose to have a shitty commute home?

On 4/2/2017 at 0:57 PM, Standby said:

Overpass hasn't done shit.  I am moving away from Navarre this summer.  Shoot me a PM if you want info on our house.

Absolute lie.  Prior to the overpass it could take 30 minutes just to get off the base, now traffic flows off base, the issue is the merge onto highway 98 and the fact that the lights are not synchronized on highway 98.  That being said the state is wrapping up a multi-million dollar study and effort to synchronize the lights on highway 98 which will have a big impact.  Regardless, from Hurlburt to the far west side of Holley by the Sea is 30 minutes, 40 on a bad day.

Other things to consider:

1.  Schools - FWB school are ungood.  Some of the elementary schools are good but overall FWB schools get a 6 out of 10 rating.  Navarre and Niceville are ranked much higher, both have incredible sports programs which act as a pipeline to some great schools (UNC, Auburn, Miami, Harvard to name a few recent scholarships).  Niceville has a better AP program and there is a really good charter school in Okalossa County.  I won't post all the details but we have been exceptionally happy with the Navarre schools.

2.  Housing - As discussed the FWB homes are much older (1970's), so for the price you won't get the modern conveniences many folks want (big closets, granite counters, three car garages), unless it is a remodel.  There is a LOT of new construction in Navarre so you are far more likely to find or built something to suit your tastes. 

3.  Crime - All three areas have seen a spike in petty crime and drug usage, FWB is having some gang issues.

4.  Water Sport - Standby pointed out that he likes to go deep sea fishing, that is a tougher prospect in Navarre because you have to go to Destin (nightmare traffic in the summer with all the tourists).  There used to be a pass through the barrier islands to the Gulf of Mexico but it was filled in by a hurricane many years ago.  Newly elected Congressman Matt Gaetz just sponsored legislation to reopen the pass.  If it is approved it will certainly change the dynamic of Navarre and already increasing home values will go much higher...something to consider as you invest in a home.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Absolute lie...30 minutes, 40 on a bad day.

You must sit in a different queue than I do.  Main gate from 1530-1730 is gridlocked.  I don't even try to leave during this time window as it takes me 45-60 minutes, without fail, and I'm east of the bridge.  I will say that the morning traffic is almost non-existent now (precluding accidents) most days regardless of time.  The evening traffic is atrocious.  To put it into perspective, it takes me 15 minutes door-to-door during the wee hours in the morning or if I flew the midnight land time sortie.

Here's to hoping that the OR survey will yield improved traffic flow.

• Upvote 2

I used to leave the HQ building and it would take 6-7 iterations of the light just to turn left onto Cody from Independence, then another 5-6 minutes to get off base.  Now you can get onto independence in 1/3 the time.  The current issue is the merge mainly because of the light at Whispering Pines.  After that light I can usually do 65-70MPH until just before Walmart where again the traffic lights are not synced.  Last week was different because it was Springbreak, but I left the 19th SOS at 1630 and pulled into my driveway at 1654.

As you pointed out, the overpass almost completely cured the morning commute.

• Upvote 1

If you're considering Destin, make sure you factor the Brooks Bridge construction that is coming.... Downtown Fort Walton Beach is great if you have no kids. It's open container Thursday thru Sunday, Art Walks, Farmer's Market, Bars, and a few restaurants. Very walkable. Very good compromise over the bridge construction that may take years. I stress DOWNTOWN Fort Walton Beach (Entertainment district), not greater Fort Walton Beach. There's still some gentrification to complete. The work continues.

Main gate sucks if you try to head to Navarre at 1630. 1730? Hardly any traffic. The overpass helped traffic flow off base a little but it helped FWB through traffic a lot.

That being said Navarre isn't exciting, but pcola has quite a bit to offer and the Navarre Beach is never packed. You can get more home for your money and the town is trying to bring in more businesses.

To each their own however. 98 sucks either way you go.

• Upvote 1

Hell, even pre-overpass I never had huge issues with traffic on the aircrew schedule. Coming in at 0430 for a first-go, no traffic. Flew a third-go last night and coming in closer to 0930, no traffic. No matter what shift I flew I'd try to never leave between 1545 and 1715, which was easily achievable, and would also result in no traffic.*

*no traffic = minimal/reasonable, no more than a normal populated area

Post overpass I don't drive it every day but I visit frequently and I say it's helped noticeably in terms of both getting on base in the morning and well as getting off base in the afternoon.

I thought Navarre was great for family life for all the reasons others have said: more house for the money, new construction available if desired, better schools, closer to Pensacola, Navarre beach was always more enjoyable and less crowded than Destin or Okaloosa Island.

It's truly a Hatfields vs McCoy's on west-of-base vs east-of-base. Pros and cons to both for sure.

My best advice for HRT inbounds is to live directly on the water if you can afford it. A friend of mine has a great setup where you can launch SUPs, kayaks and jet skis directly from his dock and you're smiling 30 seconds later. I've been on the water more in the handful of times I've visited him than the 4+ years I lived in NWFL simply do to zero barriers to entry for water activities. I lived about 1 mile from amazing white sand beaches but went far less often than you'd think.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 2

Homeowners insurance rates are very high in Florida, particularly if you live in a hurricane storm surge/flood zone. Property elevation/location/type construction is critical in reducing insurance costs. Note; A Cat 3 hurricanes will flood portions of HWY 98 (expect large sections of HWY 98 and other costal roads to be washed out), all of Okaloosa Island and Navarre Beach will be underwater, expect some of the bridges to be taken out and even areas way back in the bayous will get about 15 feet of tidal surge.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/publicmapping/

A wind mitigation Inspection will save you big bucks on insurance. Look for these construction features (Hip roof and roof covering are the biggest money savers).  Note; Two story houses will suffer significantly more wind damage on the second floor (more exposure to the wind) then a single story house, particularly if the second story house is surrounded by single story homes. Trees; you don't want any large trees within striking distance on the east side of your home.

http://www.floridacentralhomeinspections.com/content/how-can-wind-mitigation-inspection-save-you-insurance

1. Roof Covering: inspectors want to know when the roof was installed and does if it meets building codes. In Florida, the code standard was updated in 2001.
  2. Roof Deck Attachment: inspectors will determine what type of roof decking is used and how it’s attached to the underlying structure, like if it’s nailed or stapled down. If nails are used, nail length and spacing between each will also be noted.
  3. Roof to Wall Attachment: the roof attachments become the focus here: are trusses attached with nails or hurricane clips? Are the wraps single or double? The more secure your roof, the better impact on your wallet!
  4. Roof Geometry: is your roof hip or not? Nope, the inspector won’t care how cool it is, just how it’s shaped - a hip roof resembles that of a pyramid, and is a definite qualifier for a discount.
  5. Gable End Bracing: if the roof is a gable style, an inspector will review if the gable ends are braced to Florida Building Code standards. Gable ends measuring more than 48 inches tall should be braced for reinforcement, and inspectors will be checking for this qualification for discount.
  6. Wall Construction Type: Inspectors will review the construction materials used on your home for framing, reinforcement, and outer fascia, and at what percentages. Steel reinforced concrete block homes may yield a better discount than one with a plywood-only frame and plastic siding.
  7. Secondary Water Barrier: This is a newer item for roofs. If your roof was installed or upgraded before 2008, it’s fairly unlikely you’ll have this sort of barrier. As with most newer features, photo documentation, at a minimum, will be required for a discount in this area.
  8. Opening Protection: Here, inspectors are looking for shutters and installed-protection devices from wind-born debris for doors and windows. They will also be checking the rating of the devices, if you have them (as in- are they hurricane-rated?). 100% of all openings need to be covered with Hurricane rated protection to qualify for this discount.
Edited by waveshaper
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all.  This thread's turned into a goldmine of info and addressed questions I didn't even know I had.  It's good to have the diverse expertise of the BODN community to lean on.  I think we've narrowed our search on Navarre, Niceville, and possibly Gulf Breeze.  Thx again!

• Upvote 1

If you live west of base and want to hit up Pensacola instead of driving all the way to Destin, but avoid 98, there's a great drive from Navarre beach all the way to a Pensacola beach. It's low traffic and a much more pleasant way of getting there than dealing with 98. It's been open for quite some time but I'm surprised how many people I meet who live here and don't know about it

39 minutes ago, hispeed7721 said:

If you live west of base and want to hit up Pensacola instead of driving all the way to Destin, but avoid 98, there's a great drive from Navarre beach all the way to a Pensacola beach. It's low traffic and a much more pleasant way of getting there than dealing with 98. It's been open for quite some time but I'm surprised how many people I meet who live here and don't know about it

The drive on 399 along the beach from Navarre to Pensacola is amazing.  There are several pulloffs with parking that will give you almost complete solitude on an incredible beach, also great for surf fishing if you are into that.

27 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

The drive on 399 along the beach from Navarre to Pensacola is amazing.  There are several pulloffs with parking that will give you almost complete solitude on an incredible beach, also great for surf fishing if you are into that.

It's also one of those places where turtles and birds have more rights than humans. We took routine motorcycle trips on the road and late night romps in the sports car but just be careful.  Lots of blown sand across the road and the speed limits are low.  Even lower during bird nesting season.

A little known secret. Navarre Beach also has this GEM, rated the 43rd top Nude Beach on planet earth. When you cross the Navarre bridge go east toward Eglin AFB property.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZZq5AQAAQBAJ&pg=PT8&lpg=PT8&dq=navarre+nude+beach&source=bl&ots=Oso2krnZSW&sig=xsoadY76lhUXZeNozJWyXtm4H3Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOm_zI1Y3TAhXKwFQKHaV5A9Q4HhDoAQgsMAM#v=onepage&q=navarre nude beach&f=false

Top 10 Nude Beaches For Swingers In Florida (Navarre Beach is #8) as of 2015;

8. The Navarre Beach

The Navarre Beach is by far one of the most popular nudist beaches in Florida. However, the daily security patrol sets the disrobing rules, so they vary day to day, this is why caution is advised. Keep your clothes next to you if you plan on sunbathing naked on Navarre Beach, just in case the patrol comes!

http://www.swingers.org/top-10-nude-beaches-for-swingers-in-florida/

• 3 months later...
On 4/5/2017 at 6:42 AM, waveshaper said:

Homeowners insurance rates are very high in Florida, particularly if you live in a hurricane storm surge/flood zone. Property elevation/location/type construction is critical in reducing insurance costs. Note; A Cat 3 hurricanes will flood portions of HWY 98 (expect large sections of HWY 98 and other costal roads to be washed out), all of Okaloosa Island and Navarre Beach will be underwater, expect some of the bridges to be taken out and even areas way back in the bayous will get about 15 feet of tidal surge.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/publicmapping/

A wind mitigation Inspection will save you big bucks on insurance. Look for these construction features (Hip roof and roof covering are the biggest money savers).  Note; Two story houses will suffer significantly more wind damage on the second floor (more exposure to the wind) then a single story house, particularly if the second story house is surrounded by single story homes. Trees; you don't want any large trees within striking distance on the east side of your home.

http://www.floridacentralhomeinspections.com/content/how-can-wind-mitigation-inspection-save-you-insurance

1. Roof...

Thanks wave for these specific recommendations.  I followed your recommendations to the letter and got a $2k/yr discount on homeowners insurance.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, HU&W said:

Thanks wave for these specific recommendations.  I followed your recommendations to the letter and got a $2k/yr discount on homeowners insurance.

Welcome to the Gulf Coast...Where did you end up buying?