Closing Topics

Stiffler

I am trying to understand why everyone calls for a topic to be closed when they dont have a use for it anymore. The 172 rage deal, I had something I wanted to add, but now its closed. I was reading another one where after about 12 posts, someone wanted it closed.

Why would you close a topic unless it is one that is not relevant or is offensive? Otherwise, if it bothers you that much, quit clicking on it to read it.

Watch, this one will get closed;)

Kinz

A thread usually gets closed when it becomes:

A) a pissing contest and/or flame war

B) pointless and unproductive and therefore a waste of server bytes

C) a chat room conversation btw two or less parties...

D) irrelevant: this is a mil aviation forum after all

The list goes on--you get the point.

In other words, to your above comment, you're probably right...

That makes sense, especially the server bytes part. However, the 172 rage one was obviously generating alot of interest/discussion. Why close it?

Oh well;) Bush won, and I get to fly tomorrow. Im happy

Kinz

[ 09. November 2004, 21:25: Message edited by: ToBeKC135Pilot ]

flyinjunky - that was an excellent, lucid, and well thought out statement - kudos!

I just spent the last several nights trying to prune/trim/release portions of this site to meet my more than 200% breach of my memory limit. Finally, I am back in the good graces of my webhost!

The biggest reason I close topics (the other moderators can close them as well...) is when the value of the thread has diminished to near zero. That may be a subjective metric, however, that is the direction that I would like this forum to take.

When there ends up being a bunch of senseless nonsense is when users start leaving and going elsewhere.