What is a Herk AMP ?

Guest justaflyer

Guest street

I was reading through a thread about air surperiority waning (F-15s V. Indian AF) and the "J" model C-130 was brought up with its problems and then the Herk AMP was mentioned. Was is the AMP version Hercules?

Guest street

Simple enough, thanks. Everytime I think I am beginning to get a handle on the acronyms another one throws me

Guest AirGuardian

The AMP is an attempt to consolidate all the variants of C-130s(13 of them initially) into 2 main models. Basically an integration program to meet GATM requirements through "glass cockpit" technology and offering military mission enhancements in the process. So the plan is the "J" model and the "X or M" model or whatever they keep naming the updated variant! Trying to get away from the E's, H's, etc... Huge program with all the tails involved!

[ 30. June 2004, 11:33: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

Air Guardian, So we're looking at getting J model engines on all models? Doesn't seem likely. Right now (or until recently) I had to deal with T-56-7s, and two versions of -15s...just be happy to consolidate down to one version of -15s.

Guest AirGuardian

Yeah the engine thing would be nice,

As far as getting all "J's,", what I meant was that the AMP unless changed, only encompassed the avionics package/flight deck modifications to consolidate all existing C-130's other than "J" models with the same crew deck/cockpit package! That way the certification to fly each type of variant and all the separate support required to maintain different types of avionics/flight displays were alike! I did hear an initiative to place "J" model props on the Schenectady Ski-Birds (IceCap mission) to give them more capability when they are running the pole missions, but not really sure if that's in the works. Engine commonality was not the initial intent unless you have heard anything different, it was upfront issues that were deemed important at the time of initial concept!

C-5 AMP for example is the cockpit upgrade; whereas, the C-5 RERP is the Re-engining Revitalization Program which is aimed at the engine upgrade on C-5s. Last time I checked they were going to install KC-10/former DC-10 type engines on them for reliability sake! So look for a C-130 RERP for any changes to the C-130 powerplant!

[ 01. July 2004, 09:54: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

I kind of hope that won't be an issue for me, but I'm with you know. I'd have taken common avionics between the aircraft too. Probably won't effect AFSOC birds though (who I'm currently with)...they seem to do their own thing any way. We had a hell of a time even canning within the same MDS (MC-130Ps) becuase each one was modded a little differently depending on the system. There was a rumor that they were going to re-engine all the MCs with J model engines, but as I suspected, it was just a rumor. Hope the C-5 gets its re-engine, I hear those are responsible for a good portion of it's down time. They talked about doing that with the BUFF (putting 4 C-17 engines on it in place of the 8 TF-33s), but it never materialized...no one wants to spend that kind of money on a 50 year old bomber.

Guest AirGuardian

Your absolutely correct regarding the AFSOC birds,

They have their own money for special modifications and they do as they please and rightfully so! Just way too many slap ons/add ons that complicate things during an integeration process. Don't really need to muck it up more for the special birds! Good point!

Guest Pogo

The last I heard was that the Buff was getting new engines, but 8 not 4. The thought of asymetric thrust if 1 engine went was too much if they only had 2 per wing. There was a PDF going round with all the reasoning for re-engining. I seem to remember the drive for new engines was that gas from tankers is 17.5x the cost of it from a hydrant on the ground. Newer engines mean lower fuel burn rates, so fewer tankers needed. Could all be BS though? I'm sure Cameron can correct us