Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT) info

Guest MLH

We had two fail it, they just had to take it again after Tweets if they ended up going to 38's, so I guess the rules are still the same.

I think the strike navs have to do it too...

If you are lifting weights and keeping in shape, you will have no problems with it. The biggest challenge is the fact that the reps are so slow. Try it someday and gage your progress. Most of my class got over 200, including me, and if I can do it...

• 1 month later...
Guest eagledriver

I was looking at the standards for the Fighter Aircrew Conditioning Test (FACT). One of them says that you must do 10 reps of .35 body weight for the arm curl. Does this mean 2 arms using the bar to curl or a one arm curl? Just wanna know if I should start hitting the gym soon. Thanks.

Guest future16driver

When doing the FACT, is Bar Weight factored in

i.e. your curling two 10's on each side with a 20 lbs. bar, is that considered 40 or 60

May sound dumb but just curious

I have taken the FACT test twice. It is a requirement at my guard unit before interviewing with the board. It is not that big of a deal, but it isnt the easiest thing in the world either. We dont have to max it out, but it is strongly encouraged because you can bet your competition is trying. Everything for the strength portion is pretty easy. All machines: Squats, curl, lat pull down, bench, i think there is another but I forget. The endurance is the tricky part. It is a running clock of 5 minutes. You have a minute to do a min or max of pushups, crunches, and squats of your own body weight. Max is 50. So 50 pushups in a minute, rest a minute, 50 crunches in a minute, rest a minute and 50 squats of your own bodyweight in a minute. The squats are the tough ones. Both times I missed 1 rep on the squats...49 and the time ran out. Maxed everything else. Max for the weights is 15.

Guest greg999

I've heard the FACT is administered for all UPT students early in phase I, and that it is administered again before track select for those that want to compete for 38s. If one passes the early FACT and wishes to compete for 38s, does one have to take the FACT again before track select? If the first test is failed, can the second be passed and qaulify one for 38 competition?

Guest Luke

There IS a machine, like I said its one of those where you put the pin in the weight plates. I was 200 lbs, so they put the pin in at 200 lbs. I wish there was no machine. It is one of those thats not straight up and down, but on a diagonal. A place for your feet to go , and you put the "sled" on your shoulders, and just go to town. like I said, its not easy!!

Guest Skid27

At UPT, you do not use a machine for the squats during the endurance portion. You just squat, touch your ankles (STS) and stand back up. The full test is curls, bench, lat pulldowns, squats (on a machine) and leg curls. Then pushups, crunches, and boot slappers. Everyone takes it during academics, and you have to pass. If you track 38s you don't have to do it again.

[ 04. May 2004, 10:37: Message edited by: Skid27 ]

Guest Luke

Again, it is not a "squat". I was wrong in saying that. It is a hack squat. They call it a leg press, but its not because in that your legs move not your body. In this your body moves. you go to a 90 degree in your legs. I wasnt feelin that great afterwards, I can tell you that.

Guest Luke

All right, here it is, for all the non believers. The AETC instructions on administering the FACT test. I cut out all the other stuff that is known. Notice on the endurance portion, it says the leg press is to be done the same as the strength portion leg press.

BY ORDER OF THE COMMANDER AETC INSTRUCTION 11-406

AIR EDUCATION AND TRAINING 2 OCTOBER 2000

COMMAND

Flying Operations

!FIGHTER AIRCREW CONDITIONING PROGRAM (FACP)

COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY

NOTICE: This publication is available digitally on the HQ AETC Publishing WWW site at: http://

www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/im.

AETCI11-406 2 OCTOBER 2000 5

Figure 1. Strength Event Requirements.

4. Leg Press:

4.1. Adjust starting position of sled to obtain 90-degree angle at knees.

4.2. Adjust body position on sled so head, shoulders, and elbows remain in contact with pads and knees

are aligned with toes. (Maintain a foot position that keeps toes at or above height of knees.)

4.3. Start movement by straightening legs smoothly.

4.4. Only those repetitions where legs extend to approximate full extension will count. (Do not lock out

knees.)

6 AETCI11-406 2 OCTOBER 2000

9. Muscular Endurance Events:

9.1. This portion of the test measures the subject's ability to perform repeated muscle movements for a

given period of time. Individuals are required to complete a minimum number of repetitions within a 60-

second timeframe. A rest period between the strength and endurance portions of test will be provided,

but the endurance and strength portions of test must be accomplished during the same session. A 60-

second rest period will be provided between events, but no resting is permitted while performing an

event. If the test subject stops for more than 1 second during an event, the event is over.

9.2. Record the total number of repetitions for each event in Section III of AF Form 1705 and write the

total score in Section IV. Individuals must complete the minimum repetitions in each event to pass this

test. (Mark "0" in total score if minimum is not achieved.) The requirements to complete a repetition for

each event are shown in Figure 2.

Figure 2. Muscular Endurance Event Requirements.

3. Leg Press:

3.1. Starting position and basic mechanics are the same as for the strength test, but with a 1.0 weight

factor (subject's body weight) and no slow-speed lift requirements as specified in strength tests.

3.2. After test administrator says "go," start repetition by straightening legs.

3.3. Pause briefly in the full-extension position. (Do not lock out knees.)

3.4. Return to starting position (90-degree angle at knees).

3.5. Only those repetitions (up to maximum) completed in 60 seconds will count.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gearupgal

Just curious...are the standards the same for male/female? I don't care...just need to know what I need to start working for. I'd imagine they are...which is cool. We wanted equality...we got it. :-D wooooohoo! Peace!

I know the FACT test has arm curls, bench press, lat pulls, leg press, and leg curls....but what type of machine or free weights do they use for each of these excercises? Is the arm curl like a preacher curl, etc. Also, are the crunches situps or just crunches? Thanks so much!

Guest kirkhac

All machines are cybex machines. The crunches are just crunches. Your calves are up on a bench and your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. All you need to do is cross your arms over your chest and touch your elbows to your leg somewhere. It is really easy to max even if you suck at sit-ups.

Guest beylund

How many folks coming to UPT just plain suck, physically? I hear the FACT is a pretty big deal there if you want in to fighters, does it weed out many folks? Also, is there a seperate standard for females? Thanks

No, there's not a separate standard for females - it goes by a percentage of your body weight as far as how much you have to lift.

• 7 months later...
Guest cmlbaseball

I did a search for the FACT test found a great website (http://www.columbus.af.mil/mdg/ptu/FACT.htm) by far the best info out their on this test, but it doesn't say if during the test the excersises are consecutive and no break between. Im curious as I start to prepare now for it. Example being the PFT having breaks between events, does the FACT require you to go from one event to the next immediatly??? Thanks!

It is usually given in the first few weeks of Phase I. You don't have to pass it until the end of UPT I believe and that's only if you go T-38s. Otherwise I don't think you ever really have to pass it, but it really isn't that difficult.

It is not a times event, however there are the six second reps so 10 reps (the required min) would be a one minute exercise. Then a one minute break. Then the next exercise, then a one minute break...etc....

What Lucky said about the 1+15 thinig with p/u is correct.

Hopefully this clears up any confusion.