Undergraduate Navigator Training (UNT) info

Guest canucope1

Thats pretty what I thought, but what I don't get is my buddy who got CSO at the same time as me has ASBC and IFS dates where I don't. I have my money betting that these dates are going to change

Just sit tight. The black-hearted monster that is AFPC is fickle, and it will feed you a little something every now and then just to string you along. Dates will trickle out over the next couple of months or so. And again, while I didn't go to ASBC, I had friends that did. Just be flexible (sts). If you get an IFS or ASBC date, you can more or less take that one to the bank. Other than that, things do change.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well I just got word that I report to Randolph on 12 May , any tips and advice on the move? Also, what is the training syllabus like? Are they moving towards what the new program is going to be like (little t-6 time?) or are they sticking with the prior syllabus from the past couple years at Randolph?

Well I just got word that I report to Randolph on 12 May , any tips and advice on the move? Also, what is the training syllabus like? Are they moving towards what the new program is going to be like (little t-6 time?) or are they sticking with the prior syllabus from the past couple years at Randolph?

Sweet man, enjoy it when you get down there. Single or married? If you're single expect dorms if married then find a townhouse or apartment somewhere nearby (Schertz, Universal City, etc.).

The syllabus is still relatively the same, but it's been slowly evolving for a few years (my understanding from the student perspective). As of now you should be getting a lot more time in the Ops phases (read: EWO stuff) than people that went through even a year or so ago, so even if it sucks look at it as a good thing since we'll all have to know EWO stuff eventually (or so the AF thinks...)

No T-6 time, same flight regime of T-43s and T-1s right at the end. The tone rides were a lot of fun.

If you have more questions, PM me and I can hook up up with a stud who's currently about 1/2 way done at RND and she can give you the most up-to-date info.

Still no T-6 time, that won't happen until PCola. Right now we are moving to the "CSOIII" syllabus which, as NSplayer said is a little more EWO intensive in that they added ADS (analyzing signals using their various parameters manually, etc) to the Ops phase in an effort to give studs a better understanding of EWO basics. My guess is that is going to turn off a fair amount of people off to EWO because I just finished it and wanted to gouge my eyes out.

Let me know if you have anything else you are curious about

My guess is that is going to turn off a fair amount of people off to EWO because I just finished it and wanted to gouge my eyes out.

Let me know if you have anything else you are curious about

The first day of OPS A made me want to punch small woodland creatures.

6 weeks of the stuff was bad enough (for people that didn't want to go that route)... and the last I heard was that they were making OPS like 8-9 weeks long with CSOIII (I feel bad for the classes that have to go through that). Also what I've heard with CSOIII was that the out and backs were getting moved to Advanced NAV because they didn't like the huge gap of not flying between Intermediate and the cross country and also that the 8000 series is going away because it serves no purpose at all

The first day of OPS A made me want to punch small woodland creatures.

6 weeks of the stuff was bad enough (for people that didn't want to go that route)... and the last I heard was that they were making OPS like 8-9 weeks long with CSOIII (I feel bad for the classes that have to go through that). Also what I've heard with CSOIII was that the out and backs were getting moved to Advanced NAV because they didn't like the huge gap of not flying between Intermediate and the cross country and also that the 8000 series is going away because it serves no purpose at all

2 on the Ops A. If I had wanted a degree in EE, I would've gotten one.

they added ADS to the Ops phase

Yeah, definitely going to turn more guys away, but the fun part of EWO school are the later phases...

As far as tips for the move...

(This is mostly for single guys) When you pack your stuff up and head out, plan on staying in a 400 sq ft apartment with a community kitchen. Anything you would want with you, be sure to have the movers pack together and annotate appropriately on your moving inventory. Anything you wouldn't want clogging up your space, have put in another box. If you get stuck in the dorms, and can't fit all your stuff in the dorm room, you will have two options:

#1 get a partial delivery of your stuff and put the rest in long term storage (meaning no-touchie during your time at nav school....1-2yrs). You will need to be able to identify the boxes/items you want delivered off the inventory Joe Schmo made from the moving company. You will need to plan ahead or you will end up with your 200 beer mug collection in a room the size of a hotel room.

#2 get a full delivery and foot the bill yourself for a storage locker/friend's garage and have access to it during your time there.

You will have a locker cage about 5x5x5 ft to put stuff in like bikes, golf clubs, etc. at the dorms, so you will have some storage, but not enough if you have any furniture or anything.

Thanks for all of the great info, but what are the dorms like? What comes furnished with them? Also what is OPS A, I'm guessing its EWO stuff?

The dorms have a bed, dresser, desk, side table, chair, small kitchen with fridge and microwave, and a bathroom. Like a decent hotel room. I didn't live there though since I'm married but I thought they were ok.

All the OPS phases are EWO stuff...on the syllabus I went through there was Ops A, B, and C all in a row over the course of a month or so and then Integration later on that had some more EWO stuff in the academics. I thought it blew chunks but some people loved it. Hard to know ahead of time...I went in wanting to be an EWO slightly and ended up choosing Nav with gusto at the scarf drop (when you track either nav or EWO).

Also what is OPS A, I'm guessing its EWO stuff?

Ops A is basically your radar theory type stuff - PRI, PD, RF range, blah blah... Ops B you get in to the "beeps & squeaks" stuff and in to analyzing different signals from early warning to direct threat type stuff that can shoot you down and their parameters and operating capabilities (range, altitude limits, etc). Ops C is trying to put some of your knowledge to use in a few low threat sims where you fly some different B-1 missions and try to put a string of bombs on target.

Once you track EWO, you begin with basically an advanced Ops B (ADS) and learn to distinguish a shit ton more signals for a few weeks. Drewpey said it right in that it is after ADS that you finally start enjoying yourself and get in to different sims doing electronic support (RC-135s), self protect (B-1s kinda) and electronic jamming (EA-6B/EC-130 kinda).

Ops A is basically your radar theory type stuff - PRI, PD, RF range, blah blah... Ops B you get in to the "beeps & squeaks" stuff and in to analyzing different signals from early warning to direct threat type stuff that can shoot you down and their parameters and operating capabilities (range, altitude limits, etc). Ops C is trying to put some of your knowledge to use in a few low threat sims where you fly some different B-1 missions and try to put a string of bombs on target.

Once you track EWO, you begin with basically an advanced Ops B (ADS) and learn to distinguish a shit ton more signals for a few weeks. Drewpey said it right in that it is after ADS that you finally start enjoying yourself and get in to different sims doing electronic support (RC-135s), self protect (B-1s kinda) and electronic jamming (EA-6B/EC-130 kinda).

Unless the course has changed significantly since I was there last November, Self-Protect is BUFFs, not BONEs. Managing 8 jammers in different spectrums manually? BUFFs. Keeping an eye on the computer running your jammers for you? BONEs.

Unless the course has changed significantly since I was there last November, Self-Protect is BUFFs, not BONEs. Managing 8 jammers in different spectrums manually? BUFFs. Keeping an eye on the computer running your jammers for you? BONEs.

Ya, I was just referring to what airframes they are kinda-sorta having us mimic for purposes of the sims, for SP the goal is to infil/exfil at 10k msl or so while jamming and countering threats. Break right, chaff.... blah blah... 8 days allotted for this now kinda limits the extent of how far we get in to the stuff and we mostly are expected to rely on the TJS to make sure it is jamming what it is supposed to be jamming.

E/A-6B? We have those things? I thought they were just Navy/Marine.

We don't, traditionally it has been a joint position with the Navy at Whidbey NAS but as far as I have heard, the gig is basically up since the Navy is beginning to get the Growler online.

Some of the other dudes on here can probably provide more insight in to whether or not that is even an option anymore.

Guest bctrem
Ya, I was just referring to what airframes they are kinda-sorta having us mimic for purposes of the sims, for SP the goal is to infil/exfil at 10k msl or so while jamming and countering threats. Break right, chaff.... blah blah... 8 days allotted for this now kinda limits the extent of how far we get in to the stuff and we mostly are expected to rely on the TJS to make sure it is jamming what it is supposed to be jamming.

We don't, traditionally it has been a joint position with the Navy at Whidbey NAS but as far as I have heard, the gig is basically up since the Navy is beginning to get the Growler online.

Some of the other dudes on here can probably provide more insight in to whether or not that is even an option anymore.

Hey does anyone know if the hours you get as a Navigator count towards FAA certifications like a PPL or Instrument Rating?

Hey does anyone know if the hours you get as a Navigator count towards FAA certifications like a PPL or Instrument Rating?

No...you aren't serving as a pilot so no time counted as a pilot. You log flight hours obviously but not towards a PPL or instrument rating.

Hey does anyone know if hours I accrue playing Microsoft Flight Simulator count towards FAA certifications like a PPL or Instrument Rating? I am really really good at the game...

Hey does anyone know if hours I accrue playing Microsoft Flight Simulator count towards FAA certifications like a PPL or Instrument Rating? I am really really good at the game...

...I'm sorry, for a second I thought that was a serious question...wait...it was, wasn't it?

Slap yourself.

Guest 3Timer

How is UNT training being filtered now with slots? Pensecola, I heard was backd up and I hear they are sending alot of people through Randolph. Will inidividuals that complete the training at Randolph eventually have the chance to get into on of the two frames only offered at Pensecola at this time? I understand the needs of the AF and that they are trying to consolidate the program where everyone learns the same, hence that is why everyone next year will be going to Pensecola. People who have already been through or have seen the transitions, can you provide so more insight or thought on how UNT will work in the future? Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like all FY09 commissionees are going to Pensacola. All the CSOs at my det have dates for Pensacola and the one that was slated for Randolph has been moved to Pensacola. My CSO class start date is 13 July 2010 with ASBC and IFS obviously before that. It will be a while before I start, but I'll try to provide updates to this thread as I go through the process so that any FY10 folks can get a heads up of how the new program works.