Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DeHavilland

Info on flight boots

What does the brain trust know about excellent black flight boots?

USAF Approved preferably but not required. 

Need to be ejection rated or not? Prior to the most recent uniform guidance, Solomon makes some good boots that a lot of AFSOC folks wore that were nice.

• Thanks 1

I seem to recall the Navy's flight boots had steel toes... but the AF didn't allow steel toes in theirs.  Am I remembering that right?

I just broke out a pair of new-old-stock Addisons that I've been hoarding for like 15 years so I can get out of the "warbird-pilot-athletic-shoes-and-flight-suit" club.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

I seem to recall the Navy's flight boots had steel toes... but the AF didn't allow steel toes in theirs.  Am I remembering that right?

Correct Huggy, steel toes are not approved for flight in the AF, and I think Navy required it only if you had ops on carrier flight decks. (It’s been a long long time since NAS Corpus Christi though!)

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe we are on another iteration of this.  My first black leather boots were broken in (in basic training) and worn forever. Super comfortable and awesome.  Now after another decade my green boots are getting broken in and we have to change again?!

Can someone please cite the last steel toe injury that came from an aircraft egress?  They keep good records at AFSC.  I would bet $100 there has never been one for the last 20 years.

If we get in a shooting war, I am grabbing my black boots.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billy pilgrim said:

I can’t believe we are on another iteration of this.  My first black leather boots were broken in (in basic training) and worn forever. Super comfortable and awesome.  Now after another decade my green boots are getting broken in and we have to change again?!

Can someone please cite the last steel toe injury that came from an aircraft egress?  They keep good records at AFSC.  I would bet $100 there has never been one for the last 20 years.

If we get in a shooting war, I am grabbing my black boots.

I can envision the Chiefs chasing after you now

Just get your green boots that are super comfy dusty as shit and you should be good to go. I don't think i've seen two boots that look the same color yet.

• Like 1