Info on flight boots

If you look up the boots on that list they are either the standard Belleviles or knock-off Belleviles. With the exception of the Danners ($300 is a bit steep IMO).

Thread bump because I'm looking for something other than the Belleviles. I'm not sure what the process is behind approving boots for flight, but I'm leaning towards contracting/political motivations.

I have a green and tan pair of Danners and will never wear another Bellevile again.

Belleville 693 if you have to have something flight certified. I can't stand walking on pillows or the feel of heavy boots.

Our supply system says they cannot order these for us, been that way for almost a year because they have to buy them with a credit card. Logic was that they had to order our green boots via stock number which means we get McRae or Welco brand. Great thing is they are each about a half size off so when you order an 11 and get Welco, they are a half size too big, so you order a 10.5 and get McRae now they are a half size too small. You ask for another pair and are told you already have your 2 pairs, no boots for you. Awesome.

We would be overjoyed to get Belleviles. I think we are the only squadron in the Air Force doing this but apparently it's "the rule". If anyone has any info to help me plead my case I would appreciate it.

Sledy

Outstanding! Good caveat.

But,... for the sake of "splitting hairs",... that aircraft was not originally designed for the military (i.e. not "mil-spec").

post-7065-0-99073300-1368457206_thumb.jp

Use the pedals here all of the time AND designed to be mil-spec

• Upvote 2

• 7 months later...

How about just wear whatever puke green boots you want until someone calls you out? In that event, go into the attic and get down your issued puke green flight-approved boots until the compliance inspection is over or the shoe clerk that called you out departs the fix. Then resume normal ops.

Edit: unless you're a UPT stud. In which case, do whatever the hell they tell you to do and wear what they tell you to wear for a year or so. You'll manage, and you'll certainly have bigger fish to fry and need not highlight yourself over a pair of puke green Nike boots.

Edited by Champ Kind

No one cares. That being said, if someone does care, there is no reason to highlight yourself. Also, I don't really know the difference of the boots, but I bet someone smarter than me knows what I need for an ejection seat. Recommend Bellevilles.

It sounds like most people are getting away with non-reg boots in the operational Air Force. How about at UPT? Since at the end of the day, UPT is AETC, do they care more if you follow the reg previously cited in this thread?

This past week at XL some of the T-1 students were sent back to fetch flight issued boots before they were allowed to fly.....

I'm following Champ Kind's advice and just closeting my good boots until I leave this place......

Edited by HeyWatchThis

No one cares. That being said, if someone does care, there is no reason to highlight yourself. Also, I don't really know the difference of the boots, but I bet someone smarter than me knows what I need for an ejection seat. Recommend Bellevilles.

The difference is that flight boots aren't supposed to melt to your feet if they get a little fire on them. No one cares because your boots won't melt to their feet.

The difference is that flight boots aren't supposed to melt to your feet if they get a little fire on them. No one cares because your boots won't melt to their feet.

Funny because I just checked the specs on the Bellevilles they issue at UPT and they aren't fire resistant.

Edited by Fuzz

It's an AF policy, did you really expect it to make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not in the slightest, I was just pointing out that his idea about wearing Bellevilles over Nike or Oakley boots because they wouldn't melt to you feet was wrong, nevermind the fact that your nomex flight suit only has a flame resistant lifespan of a couple dozen washes before it starts to break down. Bottom line, yes our equipment is good and it serves a valuable purpose but you also must understand its limits.

I would speculate the "authorized flight boots" probably has something to do with some political deal that Belleville managed to get.

Bellevilles are not the only authorized flight boots, just the cheapest so those are the ones that tend to get issued.

They just sent an email out claiming basically 3 Belleville models, a Delco boot and Danner were the only approved boots.....are there any others because I am now wearing my issued boots and my ankle/knees are killing me from just wearing them around for a day...

I'm more than willing to buy my own decent pair as long as it gets me past the DOs boot inspection desk when we step....

They just sent an email out claiming basically 3 Belleville models, a Delco boot and Danner were the only approved boots.....are there any others because I am now wearing my issued boots and my ankle/knees are killing me from just wearing them around for a day...

I'm more than willing to buy my own decent pair as long as it gets me past the DOs boot inspection desk when we step....

They're issuing Wellco boots down here BTW. And the Toners are requiring wear of AF issue sunglasses too. AETC. Just shut up and color.

Not to mention people running around in bags and Nike boots look really dumb anyways.

Bellevilles are not the only authorized flight boots, just the cheapest so those are the ones that tend to get issued.

You are correct, although I looked and I could only find the FWU-3(8)/Ps in black leather and Addison is closed. So technically by the AFE AFI, Bellevilles are the only authorized flight boots that you can actually wear.

ETA: I stand corrected per the memo Loadsmith posted below.

Edited by Fuzz

• 4 months later...

Thread revival. I just picked up a pair of (issued) Belleville 693s.

First impression is that they are more comfortable than the 690s and have more of an athletic shoe feel. The tongue of the boot is somewhat thick but doesn't bother me. If you want to try something different from the 690 but still flight approved (that you can probably get your unit to pay for, they're only $40 more) I recommend the 693s.

Also, if you can't try a pair on and have to order them through supply, I recommend sizing up by 1/2 a size.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

You're one of the few people I've seen who likes them. The gortex lining makes them way thicker (sts)...everyone in my sqdn has had to go up at least 1.5 sizes because of it or deal with having no circulation to their feet.

I'm just happy I can still wear my Rocky's...hopefully the waiver gets approved again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk