Info on flight boots

I am an "other" service guy who is going some place where I need brown desert boots. I have been told that there are some specific brown desert boots approved for aviation duties and these are not the normal grunt boots. My unit must MIPR purchase these and my flight suits from the AF supply system. Can anyone give me some boot names or NSN's or some info I can provide to my S4 type? Do they come in hot weather and cold weather types? Thanks.

I would recommend calling the nearest AF base with deployable flyers (when in doubt, Seymour will do) and talk to their supply guys. If they don't have the names and NSN's, they can surely steer you in the right direction.

If you have trouble doing that, PM me and I can try to hunt them down.

Guest SuperStallionIP

Try Belleville Boots on Google. That should give you a website. They should have NSN somewhere on there or a POC to get the NSN. They have the standard steel-toed flight boots in tan suede.

• 7 months later...

This might be a dumb question, but is there any reg that says what students have to wear? Like if the regular leather ones are available, I HAVE to wear those regardless if I own other ones? Just wondering if there's some stupid stando thing (reminded of back in the day people said they had to wear low quarters w/ flightsuits at Hondo...just wondering if it's something like that, except not nearly as bad).

Guest rotorhead

The Air Force flying system is run 50% by life support, 50% by the 1CO's.

According to

AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-301 VOLUME 1

19 JULY 2002

FLYING OPERATIONS

AIRCREW LIFE SUPPORT (ALS) PROGRAM:

6.2.5. Flight Boots. The primary aircrew boots, as authorized in AS 016, are the FWU-3/P, FWU-8/P

and the lightweight model 700, 770, and 790 Belleville® Aircrew Boot. Lace-up zipper inserts may be used. Boots, flying, extreme cold, Sorrel Premium, Mukluks, as well as vapor barrier thermal are authorized for wear during winter flight operations at the discretion of unit commander.

• 5 months later...

In order to defeat a REMF, I need the regulation where it says aircrew aren't supposed to wear steel-toe boots. Anyone know where that is or what the reg specifically says?

[ 01. September 2006, 05:42: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest rotorhead

I've flown with various ones, with Matterhorns my favorite...but you'd be surprised that in most circles, Matterhorns, Danners, etc., are all NOT AUTHORIZED.

From AFI 11-=301v1:

6.2.5. Flight Boots. The primary aircrew boots, as authorized in AS 016, are the FWU-3/P, FWU-8/P

and the lightweight model 700, 770, and 790 Belleville® Aircrew Boot. Lace-up zipper inserts may be used. Boots, flying, extreme cold, Sorrel Premium, Mukluks, as well as vapor barrier thermal are authorized for wear during winter flight operations at the discretion of unit commander.

Originally posted by Disco:

In order to defeat a REMF, I need the regulation where it says aircrew aren't supposed to wear steel-toe boots. Anyone know where that is or what the reg specifically says?

Is the guy trying to get you to wear steel-toe boots? I don't know specifically where it is written, but like the others above point out, there are only certain boots authorized in AS 016 and I don't think any of them are steel-toe boots. Could be wrong.

I've been told by 3 or 4 life support people that steel toe boots ARE NOT authorized to fly in b/c the steel could melt to your feet in case of a fire...something you don't want - at least that's the AF's opinion on the matter.

Guest 89 Ride
Originally posted by brabus:

I've been told by 3 or 4 life support people that steel toe boots ARE NOT authorized to fly in b/c the steel could melt to your feet in case of a fire...something you don't want - at least that's the AF's opinion on the matter.

If it's hot enough to melt steel, then I'm pretty sure you've got bigger problems, like what sauce to pair with your charred foot. I've also been told by life support troops that steel toes aren't authorized but never been given an answer as to why. I do know that the Navy requires their flyers to wear steel toes. Anyone who went through API in P’cola can tell you about trying to tread water with steel-toed boots on. Tons-O-fun

[ 20. August 2006, 12:54: Message edited by: 89 Ride ]

• 3 months later...
Guest SpectrePilot

You can go ahead and laugh your arse off at my starting this silly topic, but I honestly wonder if anybody can help:

There's a few of us around who still appreciate a well-worn pair of traditional issue flight boots--the plain-toe, flat-soled, boot with the laces that wrap around and go under the leather flap. (Not Bellevilles or those cheezy new tennis-shoe hybrids.)

Problem is, after a few years those thin little "speed laces" break. Where the fvck can I get new ones like that? I still have the sliders-- just need the long, thin laces.

Don't say "get new boots". Two problems with that: (A) I'm at a Navy base-- no AF flight equipment issue here. (B) I don't want new boots! The older the better in regards to footwear...

Guest lukeabledsoe

For $1.50 you can get flight boot laces at the BX. They're not as thin as the laces that come with the boots but they still work. The 60" laces work best for my boots. I've never been able to get the issued laces to last more than 6 months or so. These are a cheap, quick replacement.

Guest Rainman A-10

S&C,

No way I would pay some asspipe $20 for a pair of boot laces.

For free you can go to life support and cut off a length of "boot lace" from the spool on the bench. It's green but turns black enough when you put a little polish on your boot after you put the new laces in. Works good and lasts a long time. I always had a spare set of "life support laces" tucked into my helmet bag just in case I snapped a lace on a deployment to some stinkystan.

Not sure about the Navy life support shops.

Technique only.

• 4 months later...

I personally hate those issued flight boots. The majority of studs wear them, but they feel like you're walking on cement...and I hate having to deal w/ inserts. So I bought some of the bellevilles (http://www.copshoes.com/p-BEL700.html). They're pretty darn comfortable and worth the money. Mine have held up great to all the abuse. But, if you don't want to spend the cash, just deal w/ the issued ones. You may not mind them.

After trying the full suite of boots I can vouch for the Oakleys being the very best - lightest, most support, Nike-Air-like feeling.

I wear the black Oakleys at home and the desert Oakleys when forward -- I highly recommend them. Yes, they do appear to be a little less rugged than the Bellevilles or other brands - but well worth-it for the comfort.

Caveat - probably NOT approved by Air Etcetera (AETC) fun-haters.

The new Air Force BDUs (also called Field Activity Garb or FAGs) will require some fruity new GREEN boots -- sounds like a military contractor conspiracy forcing 400,000 airmen to buy new boots when they all already have a closet full of serviceable boots at home... Probably has something to do with a company in some congressman's district selling the boots to the military for billions of dollars...

Danners are the bomb. I went up to AK last year to augment with the 210th Det 1 up at Eielson, and the first time I almost fell on my ass (it was late Mar) the first comment I got was "Those must be Bellevilles." ###### Bellevilles. After getting a nice pair of insulated waterproof tan Danners for the recent trip to OEF, I'm never going back. It was like walking on pillows and the best part was my feet NEVER got cold on the pedals.

• 7 months later...

As of a few months ago you could get the original Bellevilles at the clothing store on base. Belleville changed the formula a year or so ago and started putting the running shoe style sole on the boot which, IMHO, totally F'd up the boot. Just recently I found the original boot with the tri-layer sole at clothing sales. I hated to spend the money but I bought a pair since, to me, it is one of the most comfortable boots I've worn. The lady working there said that the black boots will be obsolete or extremely hard to find in the near future. I may go back and buy another pair with that in mind.

I was told this week that the green boots are not authorized for flying yet. Is this true?

The Bellville 690 is approved for flying.

On a separate note, I'm getting tired of seeing people running around base in BDU's with green boots. They may not have a set of ABU's yet, but they're so damn excited to drink the kool-aid that they'll run out to buy the Bellvilles as soon as AAFES stocks them.

While it's true that most squadrons will only issue the pukies now, it also seems that quite a few shoeclerks in the AF tend to have catastrophic boot malfunctions and need a new pair the same day the pukies become available.

HD

• 10 months later...

Quick questions from a standard confused LT :thumbsup:

I'm getting to casual at VN next week and will be in ABUs for several months prior to UPT. I'm on a bit of a budget due to the 6 months "off" I received after commissioning and I only own standard black leathers issued to me as a cadet. Two questions:

1. Should I buy puke greens or deserts to wear with my ABUs for a few months? I was wondering if I should get deserts because 1. I might actually need them for deploying a few years down the road and 2. I can wear them with ABUs until 2011 (right?). I guess I see no reason in buying both long term. If pukes will be standard in the sand container however, then it's a moot point and I'll buy pukes.

2. If it turns out I need pukes anyway. How soon will they be issued to me? When I start flying, or can I get them within a couple days of arriving at VN and thus be set up to wear ABUs? Again, what's the sense in buying them now when I can just wear blues for a few days and then get them issued to me.

Thanks guys.