Info on flight boots

Figured I would dig up an old thread rather than start a new one.

Does anybody know if Rocky boots (I assume the S2V) is authorized to wear for flight? Is there some kind of documentation stating that you can or is there some type of waiver? Perhaps MAJCOM specific?

Anybody have anything stating you can wear them in ACC?

They are approved for flight. Pretty much all of rescue wears them. The approval for everything not on the official STF letters is MAJCOM level. The STF letters are found on the Air Force Uniform Office's portal page.

Figured I would dig up an old thread rather than start a new one.

Does anybody know if Rocky boots (I assume the S2V) is authorized to wear for flight? Is there some kind of documentation stating that you can or is there some type of waiver? Perhaps MAJCOM specific?

Anybody have anything stating you can wear them in ACC?

They are not approved unless specifically on a Acceptance of Risk letter signed by your MAJCOM, which has to be resigned and updated every FY.

They are approved for flight. Pretty much all of rescue wears them. The approval for everything not on the official STF letters is MAJCOM level. The STF letters are found on the Air Force Uniform Office's portal page.

All of Rescue wears them because they've been thrown on the above mentioned AoR letter. They are not blanket approved for flight across the AF, unless something has changed in the past 6-9 months that I missed (totally possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

Any new boots... approved or not... that come recommended?

Im looking for the "lightest" I can find. 

The TR103 is a minimalist boot, but the reviews online are very mixed, and I would expect better before buying it. 

3 hours ago, Homestar said:

I just ordered a pair of the Nikes that should be here next week. Tired of the 15 lb ones I was issued. Should have bought lighter boots years ago

Just bought a pair of Nikes, so far they are great, still breaking them in since they are cowhide leather instead of sued (due to changes in Army requirements). 

Rocky's are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, but the Oakley's are a close second...having them issued makes them even more comfortable.

Do people really care about boots?

There was a brief time in my last squadron at Hurlburt when a Good Idea Fairy decided that boots should be a mandatory item on checkrides but that only lasted about 48 hours.

10 hours ago, hispeed7721 said:

Rocky's are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, but the Oakley's are a close second...having them issued makes them even more comfortable.

There was a brief time in my last squadron at Hurlburt when a Good Idea Fairy decided that boots should be a mandatory item on checkrides but that only lasted about 48 hours.

I'll bet you guys were stoked when you regained the ability to wear high heels on check rides in the aircraft.

• Downvote 1

I'm still holding on to my two favorite pairs of black boots, just in case we're allowed to wear them again.  Every green boot I've tried is an abomination.

Maybe I'm just old.

• Upvote 1