Info on flight boots

Quick questions from a standard confused LT :thumbsup:

I'm getting to casual at VN next week and will be in ABUs for several months prior to UPT. I'm on a bit of a budget due to the 6 months "off" I received after commissioning and I only own standard black leathers issued to me as a cadet. Two questions:

1. Should I buy puke greens or deserts to wear with my ABUs for a few months? I was wondering if I should get deserts because 1. I might actually need them for deploying a few years down the road and 2. I can wear them with ABUs until 2011 (right?). I guess I see no reason in buying both long term. If pukes will be standard in the sand container however, then it's a moot point and I'll buy pukes.

2. If it turns out I need pukes anyway. How soon will they be issued to me? When I start flying, or can I get them within a couple days of arriving at VN and thus be set up to wear ABUs? Again, what's the sense in buying them now when I can just wear blues for a few days and then get them issued to me.

Thanks guys.

If I were you, I would just wear the BDU's that you got when you were in ROTC. As long as you have a set of BDU's for now, I would wait on getting the ABU's untill 2011. But if you feel so inclined to get some ABU's I would just go ahead and get the green boots. Cause you will get the tan boots issued from your flying squadron along with your dessert flight suits. But by the time you get MR we might not be over there much longer.

2. If it turns out I need pukes anyway. How soon will they be issued to me? When I start flying, or can I get them within a couple days of arriving at VN and thus be set up to wear ABUs? Again, what's the sense in buying them now when I can just wear blues for a few days and then get them issued to me.

You won't get equipment issue (including boots) until 1-2 weeks prior to UPT start date. You will be issued flight suits for IFS (if applicable), but not boots (you'll have to wear whatever boots you have, even if not flight approved).

They are still issuing black boots to studs at Vance with no plans on "upgrading" to the pukes AFAIK.

Just wear BDUs and use the boots you have...no idea why you'd want to buy ABUs if you're going to be in flight suits and blues in a few short months. But, most casuals here seem to buy the ABUs, and you're probably going to have to buy the boots to match if that's what you want.

BTW, buy any uniform stuff you need before you get here...the BX here is pathetic.

• 4 months later...
Like the person who started the thread, I've got the old issued solid leather boots with the speed laces, sliders, and velcro flap at the top. I snapped a lace and lost one of the metal sliders (keepers, holders, I dunno...). I can't find them online. Does anyone know where to get them?

I can't even find the boots themselves online. They're Cove Shoe Company all-leather, no insulation boots that were issued to me in 1996. I've kept them in fantastic condition and they fit like a silk glove. I'd be crushed if I couldn't wear them. The soles are getting really worn and I'd like to have another pair to save wear and tear on my others. I've seen a thousand types of boots online, but can't find this one. Anyone have ideas?

Have you gone to supply? I was told that supply was not issuing them anymore and only issuing crappy Bellvilles. When I threw my old boot clad foot onto the desk and said, “do you have any more of these?” The supply clerk said, yeah, we just thought no one wanted them anymore. The newest ones I have are made by Addison Shoe Company, the # on the inside of the boot is SP0100-050D-0380, Manufactured July 25, 2005.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Speaking of which, anybody know where to get a pair of Addisons? I think my base supply has them, but their lazy asses won't go check if they have my size in stock. Any suggestions?

Yep. First, get a letter from your supply guy for a new pair of boots. Second, physically go over to supply, don't call. Third, go over and tell Amn Snuffy or Mr. Jones to go check. If they won't speak to their supervisor.

Edited by Herk Driver

• 1 month later...

If it's hot enough to melt steel, then I'm pretty sure you've got bigger problems, like what sauce to pair with your charred foot. I've also been told by life support troops that steel toes aren't authorized but never been given an answer as to why. I do know that the Navy requires their flyers to wear steel toes. Anyone who went through API in P’cola can tell you about trying to tread water with steel-toed boots on. Tons-O-fun

[ 20. August 2006, 12:54: Message edited by: 89 Ride ]

I was told the reason was if you eject, the steel toe could catch something and chop off your toes. Of course, if you catch something like that in a non-steel-toed boot, I'm guessing you're going to lose your toes anyway.

Also, there is NO truth to the myth that a steel toe boot will cut your toes off if you drop something heavy enough on it. Once you're to the point of bending the steel in the toe, you are talking about powdering your toe bones without a steel toe.

• 3 weeks later...

I was told the reason was if you eject, the steel toe could catch something and chop off your toes. Of course, if you catch something like that in a non-steel-toed boot, I'm guessing you're going to lose your toes anyway.

Also, there is NO truth to the myth that a steel toe boot will cut your toes off if you drop something heavy enough on it. Once you're to the point of bending the steel in the toe, you are talking about powdering your toe bones without a steel toe.

Mythbusters calls busted to this myth

• 5 months later...

Just got issued some lace-in zipper flight boots but have no idea how to lace in the zipper without it looking like a bag of ass. Anybody have any techniques they would like to share. Or should i just ditch the zipper and get some longer laces. Disclaimer: I did not use the search function.

thanks, fast

Guest Safe&Clear

I installed those zipper-things when I was at the....ahem.. Academy-- (insert snide comment here.) And much like the velcro sneakers I wore in 7th grade, I try to bury the memory. It was just a GAY idea!

Go with the "speed laces" that wrap around the top like they issued for oh-so-many years, if you can still get em. Otherwise I guess you're stuck with the green suede sh!t I've been seeing on the newbies-- I guess they have standard laces which just means a few extra seconds in the morning?

• 9 months later...

Thread revival. Anyone know where to get the extremely thin laces that were issued with boots from Addison Shoe Company. I've got a pair of their boots that I absolutely adore (fits like a glove) and the laces are shot. Addison closed their doors 3 years ago, and I'm having no luck finding the ultra thin laces that go with the foldover tops, velcro boots with the speedlace and the metal cinch. I'm checking surplus stores, but no luck so far. If you've got any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thread revival. Anyone know where to get the extremely thin laces that were issued with boots from Addison Shoe Company. I've got a pair of their boots that I absolutely adore (fits like a glove) and the laces are shot. Addison closed their doors 3 years ago, and I'm having no luck finding the ultra thin laces that go with the foldover tops, velcro boots with the speedlace and the metal cinch. I'm checking surplus stores, but no luck so far. If you've got any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have three pairs of those and love em too. Replaced laces with regular boot laces just fine. BX and Mil clothing used to have those laces--good luck with the search. May also want to try shoetreemarketplace.com.

Edited by Learjetter

I was able to find some string in life support that looks identical to the laces. Just cut to length and burn the ends to keep from unraveling.

Guest markmanning

My lifesupport made new laces for mine - talk with them. They have various types of string, rope, thread etc. The lifesupport guys made the new lace the exact length and used a heat gun to burn the ends and keep them from fraying. Can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

My lifesupport made new laces for mine - talk with them. They have various types of string, rope, thread etc. The lifesupport guys made the new lace the exact length and used a heat gun to burn the ends and keep them from fraying. Can't tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

That's what I did. Works good, lasts a long time, free. The life support "laces" were green half the time but the only people that said anything were the same people that noticed I didn't wear flight gloves...and I gave them all the same response.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There was an ALO in my SERE class that swore by 'em. Said it was like wearing a pair of really tall sneakers. He wore them through the entire JTAC schoolhouse, i.e. wallowing through the swamps of northern FL, so they appear to be pretty durable.

Those Nike boots (in tan) seem to be the boot of choice for the Army SF guys in Iraq if that tells you anything. They say they're good boots, and I'd wear them if I wasn't too cheap to buy my own. Personally, I'll take whatever Uncle Sam is issuing that day.

• 9 months later...

The way I see it, the boots were free, but I paid $149 to never polish again. Well worth it. Plus they are incomparably more comfortable than the shoddy pieces of shit I was issued at UPT. Now that mine are broken in, they're so soft that every step feels like walking on angel tits.