Flying Scarf/Scarves

Well, now I know what I'm going to do with my scarf when/if I have to go back to AETC. Goin2UPT, you unknowningly have started an outstanding thread.

Ryder1587, the scarf is something that started out having a functional purpose. Later on, it not only served no purpose but had to be removed before flying. It's uncomfortable, it's a pain in the a$$ and it looks . The only time I've been required to wear one was in AETC.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most current folks think the scarf is .

The scarf has been rammed down our throats (sts) almost non-stop for the past 15 years. A former squadron commander I had would "fine" you if you didn't have it on at the club at nellis. A sure fire way to keep us out of the club.

Guest SnakeT38

The scarf and what its good for........

After a "weekend" of "filling squares" that somehow included a long night in the GOOD OLD Auger Inn then TONS of MEX food on Sat night.

On RTB........this story can be confirmed by OpsO

at 47th FS at BAD............I had a "sheatt attack" after raising the gear handle and at least

2 hours to go. At 22.5 minutes on the HUD, I gave

the "Flight" to the honorable wingman who insisted to know WHY.............After pushing power all the way up, getting out of harness, survival vest and flight suit, I let'r "RIP" into

my helmet bag. Looked around for the next part and all I saw was a SCARF..........worked just fine. Couldn't get all that stuff back on so I "pulled into" dearm wearing a tee shirt.

More details than needed, but necessary for further "story tellers" out there.

Originally posted by Goin2UPT:

Before posting in this thread ask yourself if you are actaully going to answer my question or offer an opinion. I only want an answer. I have no desire for this to become another sh!tstorm thread.

At my ROTC det we have a silk detachment flying scarf. Cadets who have been selected for UPT/UNT are allowed to wear the scarf with their bags. All I want to know is the proper way to wear the scarf. If you know the answer please post. If you want to offer an opinion about why cadets shouldn't be allowed to wear a scarf or bag please refrain from posting. Thank you.

HOLY SH*T! Look at the FNG stepping on his crank!

Dude, once you obtain your prized silk scarf, you might want to start looking for a thicker skin. You'll never hang during a UPT debrief if you can't take a little ribbing on an internet forum.

Also, check out this link, as they too are highly sought after at ROTC detachments. Only slightly less sought after than the mighty "bag" and "scarf" however.

For the record, scarves are IMHO.

[ 13. April 2005, 21:40: Message edited by: Bergman ]

I got a scarf on my assignment night when I got FAIPed. I wore it around my neck outside my flight suit for about 3 shots, then it promply began hanging out my crotch area like a king kong dong. I will never wear it again!

The first thing I did before writing this (after maintaining keyboard control, analyzing the post and making the proper response, and going to bed as soon as conditions permit) was ask myself whether I was going to actually answer the question, or offer an opinion.

ROTC cadets shouldn't be allowed to wear bags or scarves.

Guest flecth033

The scarf is just for the juniors, seniors with slots get to wear kneeboards with their bags, and flight gloves in service dress.

• 3 years later...
Guest Caddis

I am sure this looks familiar to a few of our C-17 brothers. I can not believe this is where our priorities are.

All,

Attached is a new ### OG uniform policy effective immediately. Although the current AFI 36-2903 and ### Sup allow different uniform/color combinations, the ### Sup to these regs is under revision and will be more restrictive. The following policy letter contains the recommended changes and is directive until the supplement is published.

The desire is to have all ### ### members present a more uniform and professional appearance in the tradition of the ### wing. In summary, the policy letter directs the following:

1. When wearing the green flight suit, wear black T-shirts with black boots or desert sand (tan) T-shirts with green boots.. When wearing the tan flight suit, wear desert sand T-shirts with tan boots.

2. When wearing ABUs, wear desert sand T-shirts with green boots unless you were issued tan boots in basic training and that is all you have.

3. When wearing BDUs, wear black T-shirts with black boots.

4. Scarves: Unit scarves will be worn around the neck with the green flight suit at all times unless flying, on the flight line or when performing duties that would make them a safety hazard.

5. Morale Patches: As a reminder, morale patches are prohibited at this time. This applies to both home station and when TDY/deployed. Future guidance will specifically list any morale patches that have been approved by AMC

For individuals who have flight suits, I fully understand that some units do not have any or enough scarves to issue at this time. An emergency order is being processed and we should have adequate supplies for all OG members in two to three weeks. Prior to their delivery, I have asked each unit to issue as many scarves as they have to those who are currently on station. I will issue OG scarves to all others until the new ones arrive. Of special emphasis, I have asked each of your commanders to ensure that all those who will be interacting with Maj Gen Scott next week to have a scarf.

Each of your commanders have expressed concern about the potential financial impact of asking members to buy new T-shirts to be in compliance with this more restrictive wing policy. I have acknowledged their concern; however, my expectation is by Monday all ### OG members on station will be in compliance. Military clothing will be open on Saturday to purchase the Desert Sand T-shirts and there are numerous retail outlets to buy black T-shirts at a reasonable price.

Members of the ### will still be allowed to wear their distinctive red T-shirts on Fridays while at home station unless otherwise directed for a formal formation/event. If other units desire to do the same, have your commanders submit the appropriate package for approval.

Truly appreciate all of your support on this matter. I ask commanders and supervisors at all levels to get the word out.

I thought that scarfs had gone extinct.

Edited by Caddis

YHGTBFSM!

Of special emphasis, I have asked each of your commanders to ensure that all those who will be interacting with Maj Gen Scott next week to have a scarf.

There is nothing scarier than an O-6 trying to make O-7.

Each of your commanders have expressed concern about the potential financial impact of asking members to buy new T-shirts to be in compliance with this more restrictive wing policy. I have acknowledged their concern; however, my expectation is by Monday all ### OG members on station will be in compliance.

I wonder if anyone would set up a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account anonymously and send a copy of this to Maj Gen Scott.

Or the Air Force Times.

I'm just askin'.......

Guest Caddis

I received this and thought it was a joke too. No info in it to identify the affected squadron/group. I was told that it was a C-17 OG that sent it out. Can any C-17 guys confirm or deny?

I received this and thought it was a joke too. No info in it to identify the affected squadron/group. I was told that it was a C-17 OG that sent it out. Can any C-17 guys confirm or deny?

It didn't come from Charleston. Although, I wouldn't have been surprised to get that email. We are currently wearing freaking reflective belts everywhere on base night and day to support our "ORI Warriors" :bohica::rainbow::flipoff:

Waiting for the Dumbness at Charleston thread.

This is no joke unfortunately, and it's not just aimed at the C-17s... I got this email a few days ago as well. It is a base wide thing that the OG/CC sent out. Ridiculous if you ask me. Looks like I will be forced to wear a scarf to work come Monday morning (hint hint on the affected group). Good to see our priorities are in the right place... :banghead:

Wait...so do I HAVE to start wearing my red shirt of Friday's now so that I match??

I wonder if anyone would set up a hotmail/gmail/yahoo account anonymously and send a copy of this to Maj Gen Scott.

I'm good friends with MG Scott's son, so maybe I'll ask him to ask his pops about what he thinks.

Our wing went through this earlier this year, and it has quickly died out. It was never mandatory, just HIGHLY encouraged.

I just heard that friday patches were banned by a new Wing CC at Spangdahlem, too.

My jaw was on the floor when I read the C-17 post, but to hear that a fighter wing banned friday patches...well, that just knocked my what-the-f*ck-o-meter right off the charts.

Was there an AWC class in the last year or two who all decided that they were going to single handedly destroy the last little bastions of morale the flying community had once they took over power?

Of special emphasis, I have asked each of your commanders to ensure that all those who will be interacting with Maj Gen Scott next week to have a scarf.

What would be awesome is if Gen Scott said to the first dude he saw "Why are you wearing a scarf? That's effing gay."

Not a bad idea, you might be on to something Swingin'...of course I'd have to actually go BUY a Cardigan

You can pick one up cheap at Goodwill or the Salvaton Army.

This remins me of Gen Handy's uniform guidance years ago. Anyone who worked at the Group or Wing was told to wear blues to work unless you were flying. They tried their best to get everynone to comply to no avail. Leadership quit trying after three days. Same thing will happen here. They can not give you an aritcle 15 for not wearing a scarfe. Just tell them yours is a the cleaners or in your other pants!

Not a bad idea, you might be on to something Swingin'...of course I'd have to actually go BUY a Cardigan

....and the blues that go under said Cardigan!

Edited to add: YOUHAVEGOTTOBEFVCKINGKIDDINGME!

Techsan--you have got to get ahold of his kid and get his pops to tell the OG that the scarves are ridiculous.

Somebody spill it.....what base/ops group is this?