?s on FTUs (Formal Training Units)

Sneedro

Guest airwinger

How many flights or hours in the Eagle FTU, just curious since the Marine side has 9-12 months for Hornets, this after nearly 2.5 years of flight school.

What bases have F-16 FTU besides Luke and Springfield, OH? Can guard guys go to any F-16 FTU base? Also, is IFF done anywhere else besides Moody? At what point in training do you usually do the fuge and survival school? Thanks!

Originally posted by Slye:

What bases have F-16 FTU besides Luke and Springfield, OH?

There is also a Viper RTU at Kelly Field (Lackland AFB).

Can guard guys go to any F-16 FTU base?
You can go to any of the 3, but you don't really get to pick...due to the small numbers that Springfield and Kelly put out(sts) you'll still probably go to Luke.

Also, is IFF done anywhere else besides Moody?
We do IFF here at Sheppard as well, though most(but not all) of the people that go to IFF here go through UPT here.

At what point in training do you usually do the fuge and survival school?
You'll go to the fuge a week or two after you graduate. As far as survival goes, you'll go whenever they can fit it in your schedule. At the latest, you could go after RTU, but most people go though it before or after IFF and before RTU.

• 8 months later...
Guest Milamber

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but are the A-10 and F-16 schools TDYs? The majority of both go to Arizona right?

A-10, F-15C & E, and F-16, B-1, B-2(obviously) and B-52 are all a PCS. PIT is a TDY (unless you're at Sheppard...then you're already here!) Don't know about heavies......I believe they are all TDYs though.

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from C model RTU in '02 -- it's a full 6 month program, and getting longer. They are now doing NVG's and 4-ship sorties in the B-course. Even before all that, we were there from Mid Jan-Mid July.

• 5 years later...

Seeking updated information regarding the F-16 school after UPT and IFF:

1. Where is it located? Luke AFB and Tucson, or just Luke? If both, what percentage go to each?

2. PCS or TDY?

3. Length? 9 months?

Thanks in advance. I've sorted through a lot of outdated material, and I know things change over the years.

Seeking updated information regarding the F-16 school after UPT and IFF:

1. Where is it located? Luke AFB and Tucson, or just Luke? If both, what percentage go to each?

2. PCS or TDY?

3. Length? 9 months?

Thanks in advance. I've sorted through a lot of outdated material, and I know things change over the years.

Luke, Tucson takes just a few, Kelly does one class a year I think, and Springfield is closed now which sucks. Chances are, you'll go to Luke

PCS

9 months is about right

Guest Raptor08

Keep in mind that Luke is losing it's Vipers and transitioning to F-35s in a few years. Holloman is getting rid of their Raptors and picking up 2 of the remaining Viper training sq's so depending on where you are now you may end up going there.

Keep in mind that Luke is losing it's Vipers and transitioning to F-35s in a few years. Holloman is getting rid of their Raptors and picking up 2 of the remaining Viper training sq's so depending on where you are now you may end up going there.

Not quite.

Two squadrons from Luke are leaving, they haven't decided which ones (block 25 or 42) and that still leaves 2 squadrons of vipers at Luke. B-Course is 9 months plus 4 weeks of SEAD academics for active duty guys. Tuscon mostly takes guard and international guys as far as I know. Kelly does 1 b-course per year, if you get selected for a viper in Jan-April you'll likely go there.

If I were you I'd want to come to Luke because it's the only CONUS fighter base near a big city which is awesome.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any info about the F-22 pipeline? What to expect at lead-in, length of B-course, culture, syllabus, advice?

Don't let your inability to breathe distract you from flying the airplane.

{sarcasm, for anyone whose detectors are inop}

Edited by JarheadBoom

HH-60: 6-ish months. TDY to Kirtland enroute to your ops unit.

CV-22: Two TDYs enroute to your ops unit. 4-ish months at MCAS New River flying the MV. Then, 6-ish months at Kirtland flying the CV.

Edit: Formatting

Edited by Hella-Copters