KC-10 Extender info

scoobs

Guest breakaway

Not a whole lot of difference - Travis comes east about as often as McGuire goes west. The deployed crews are roughly an even mix, and the deployed staff alternates between T and M.

I dont know about that...I would say the SUU guys still go west more often and I know the WRI guys go east more often.

I like McGuire's style...

post-3018-095587000 1285022930_thumb.jpg

note: Lajes can be 'sporty'

Hey! I know that guy...

• 2 years later...

Thread revival.

Looking for an up-to-date QoL and other current general info. (e.g. deployment/TDY rates, dwell time, hrs/yr, time to upgrade, training delays, etc.) Are there any noticeable differences for new Co's between bases?

Aside from white jet tours, what does the standard career progression look like? Are folks doing any cross flow btw bases? Typical staff tours?

QoL is better than 2011 but worse than the early 2000's with "130%" manning. Sequestration cut a lot of the flying. Used to be around 4-500 hours a year, not sure with the flying cuts. Expect to deploy 2-3 times a year on a 1:1. Due to the geographic distribution of current conflicts, McGuire has more trips per month than Travis right now. During AEF swaps, trips go up on both coasts due to the coronets. Travis camaraderie is better than McGuire. "Standard" upgrade timeline is around the 2-year point, but will be adjusted sooner or later based on your individual performance and potential to lead the mission. FY14 training dates haven't come out yet as far as I have seen, but normally, a person goes into IQT right after getting to their base. Expect a desk job approximately 6 months after finishing MQT, possibly sooner.

"Standard" career progression is BS. However, the two classics are coast-to-coast and KC-10-UPT-KC-10. There are also several exchange officer opportunities (A-330 Australia, A-310 Canada, KDC-10 Dutch) as well as other random assignments if you keep your eyes open (C-12 Botswana, etc). Recently, there have been a few assignments to the MC-12, mostly for people who did the MC-12 deployment. Many people apply to and are accepted by the 89th.

After the first three assignments, it is a smorgasbord of varying places and jobs. You'll be an 11M, so if you get a staff job, it could be at AMC, ACC, AFSOC, HAF, Jt, NATO, etc. Good possibility to come back to the jet after staff. According to the powers-that-be, only bright shinies will get staff after school. Still waiting to see what that means for the rest of us.

The current 5 AD Sq/CCs are all good people. Each squadron is a little different. The last OG/CC at Travis was awesome and he has been replaced by another good dude (who can school pretty much any line IP in the jet by the way, he's a night one leader for sure).

• 3 years later...

from reddit:

"Hi everyone, active duty KC-10 Boom Operator with direct information. The aircraft had the boom gimble (attachment point of the boom to the fuselage) replaced a few weeks ago. Two days prior to this incident, a boom operator instructor experienced uncommanded boom inputs. The boom became erratic and hydraulic power was quickly cut and the boom was stowed. MX could not duplicate the issue on the ground, ran some ops checks, and the jet was greened up.

Yesterday, as the jet entered it's orbit, the boom was lowered and immediately became uncontrollable. It was swinging beyond it's roll limitations and eventually ripped from the aircraft, causing a loss of the number 2 hydro system. The crew landed safely."

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
from reddit:

"Hi everyone, active duty KC-10 Boom Operator with direct information. The aircraft had the boom gimble (attachment point of the boom to the fuselage) replaced a few weeks ago. Two days prior to this incident, a boom operator instructor experienced uncommanded boom inputs. The boom became erratic and hydraulic power was quickly cut and the boom was stowed. MX could not duplicate the issue on the ground, ran some ops checks, and the jet was greened up.

Yesterday, as the jet entered it's orbit, the boom was lowered and immediately became uncontrollable. It was swinging beyond it's roll limitations and eventually ripped from the aircraft, causing a loss of the number 2 hydro system. The crew landed safely."

I'd advise anyone reading this that the SIB and AIB are charged with gathering ALL the facts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 11/4/2016 at 6:26 PM, Day Man said:

from Reddit:

MX could not duplicate the issue on the ground, ran some ops checks, and the jet was greened up.

They're gonna need to narrow down which write-up they are talking about...

Seriously though, was this before or after the boom fell off?

Edited by Sneedro