Aviation Deaths

Whitman

For all you military pilots out there. I was just wondering how common it is for you to have to deal with losing a friend to an airplane crash etc. I just lost a friend in a T-6 Texan crash and I am having a hard time with it. It has really made me start to question flying fighters in the Air Force. How often do you have to deal with aviation related death in the Air Force as a pilot? I just found out so I am thinking really off the wall thoughts but maybe I'll be over this soon. Thanks

Guest deweygcc

I cannot say I have done this, but my sincere condolences on your loss. I'd talk to the chaplain if I was you.

[ 25. October 2004, 21:49: Message edited by: deweygcc ]

Actually he crashed yesterday in the old Texan (WWII trainer) he was giving rides during a community festival and we think he lost an engine on takeoff. A lot of speculation right now though. The passenger (39) was killed as well. It's crazy cuz Curtis has given me 2 rides in the same T-6 that crashed. He was a great pilot and it is just shocking to see a 22 year old who has everything going for him die.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/10000959.htm

Wnaana,

Please seek some help in the form of a Chaplin, doctor, or close friend if you are having "off the wall" thoughts. I have personally lost three very close friends in crashes over the past 14+ years and there are no easy answers. Life does go on and the best way to honor your friend is to live your life to the fullest. If that means doing something other than flying jets, so be it. In the end it is a question that only you can answer.

PM me if you need to talk and I will give you my number. You can call anytime.

Guest HueyPilot

All in all, I've personally known 5 people that have been killed in aviation accidents, 4 of them were from my Army flight school class (96-17).

It's not easy learning a friend has died, and it's reasonable to feel a bit mortal the next time you step into the cockpit.

But I always try to learn from what happened, and use the lessons learned to help make me a better pilot...most of them would want that anyways. If you knew them very well, or knew their family, you would do a great thing to send a nice note to their family. I did in one instance, and got a nice response back.

Just realize that flying entails some risk, and if you fly long enough you'll know a few people involved in fatal accidents. If it gets bad enough, the chaplain is always there. Even if you're not religious, they can always be of help.

Thanks man, I'm not suicidal or anything just looking at all the risky activities I do right now (motorcycle, flying, etc.) and considering giving it up. I know that's probably overboard so I'm just trying to calm down and reflect. Thanks for the support

Wnanna

My condolences as well for your loss.

Something to remember is how much the person loved to fly, and what they would want you to do in the situation. I very much doubt they would want you to quit flying or pursuing a dream of being a pilot in the USAF because of their death. Death is a part of life, most people don't want to die but it happens to all us eventually. If we stopped performing every activity that someone has been killed doing, no one would drive, fly, go to space, etc. We all accept a certain amount of risk in our lives, and the best thing you can do is to avoid the stupid stuff (not having the proper gear, not getting the right training, etc) and hope to be lucky as well as good.

Don't feel bad about your feelings towards your lost friend, it is normal and everyone goes through a period of mourning. Once that feeling starts to subside, you can then determine how it will permanently affect you. If you decide you don't want to fly because of it, then that is your choice and one you have a right to make. But more likely you will realize that it is not what your friend would have wanted you to do.

Good luck, and again my condolences.

Cheers! M2

Wnanna,

I am sorry about your loss. I lost a good friend in a general aviation accident in 2001. Accident Report At the time, I was working on my PPL. Not more than 3 days after the accident my dad, a pilot himself, rented a 172 and asked me to fly with him. I'm sure I was feeling the same way you are now, but I still went flying that day. It was an incredibly difficult situation, especially since the crash site was just to the west side of the end of the runway.

My point being, we all lose people who are close to us but we can't let it hinder our daily lives. For some of us, our daily life will be flying airplanes, for pretty much all of us, it is driving cars. Losing a friend in an auto accident doesn't usually prevent people from driving, try not to let it prevent you from flying! Use it as a learning situation, to remember how fragile life is, and to always keep focused while flying.

Again, I am truly sorry for your loss.