Class leader questions

Guest joeinsd37

Guest joeinsd37

Hi, I posted this question in another area of this forum as well as here:

I'm going to UPT later this year, and will most likely be class leader. Are there any past or present UPT students and instructors who have any gouge and advice on how to handle a class? I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Guest rumblefish_2

One word, dude...patience. Just be cool and try not to be too uptight. Realize that you are a student pilot too and are having to endure the same pain. The best way to look at it is that you are pretty much a filter for information traveling from the IPs to the students. You might take a little extra abuse, but like any military training program, it's just a game. Use your previous leadership experience to delegate tasks to the folks you know will get the job done and definitely don't try to do everything yourself. Just relax and realize you have been given an opportunity to excel. It will be painful at first, but after instruments it will be smooth sailing...

Guest Animal

Rule with an iron fist. Chew *** first and ask questions second. Provide perspective even if it is not requested.

Ohhh...and I almost forgot: Have an open tab for all your classmates to drink off of at every bar in town. This particular technique works especially well for me.

ANIMAL

Guest Cider

Another question on the topic. How many class leaders out there have been Lt's? Curious b/c I might be one as a first year Capt. Oh the horror!

Guest RoninCo

I was a class leader as a 2Lt! But, I flew with the Navy at Whiting Field, and then went to Vance for TOnes. I joined a great class of folks that all had their acts together. So, it was a little bit weird joining a new class, and then being proclaimed "leader." I suppose in Tweets or Texans, the class leader is probably more necessary. TOnes, I mainly handled the usual reporting in, class accountability, Winging stuff, etc...

Any other questions, you can PM me

-RoninCo

So what says who will be a class leader? Age? Prior time? I guess if you have someone who's a 1st Lt. or a Capt. in your class, it would be pretty obvious why, but what if there isn't? Is it just who's been a 2nd Lt. the longest? Just curious.

Guest RoninCo

I was the most senior ranking 2Lt by one week. Something about "ranking" and "2Lt" seem very strange together =). All in all, you only do what you can. Pay no attention to the talk of higher flight commander rankings and so on due to the position. That is all a bunch of "bunk."

-RoninCo

Guest Animal
Originally posted by flyinjunky:

Can I come drink on your tab, too?

Always, bro!!

I only wish Animal had been my class leader. Wait...nevermind, his open bar tab would probably have led to my downfall - Animal, do they have double vodka Red Bulls at CBM?

Seriously, the role of class leader/SRO is a double edged sword. On the one hand, it's an asspain burden. Everything that the class f***s up is essentially your fault. After the flt/cc gets done reaming the class, he'll tear the SRO a new one...even if the SRO was nowhere in the vicinity of whatever ridiculous crime the class committed.

On the other hand, it can be a blessing. Class leader is a huge responsibility - they put the senior ranking guy in charge because they want somebody who has some experience with the AF and knows what's going on. To that effect, almost every class leader I have seen go through UPT finished near the top of his class largely due to a very boosted flight commander ranking.

Guest Animal
Originally posted by Toro:

I only wish Animal had been my class leader. Wait...nevermind, his open bar tab would probably have led to my downfall - Animal, do they have double vodka Red Bulls at CBM?

I think we both know that me being your SRO would be a bad idea. Being classmates at Seymour Johnson was bad enough!

They sure do have double vodka Red Bulls here at CBM...and that is why I live stumbling distance from the bar! Wouldn't you agree Flyinjunky?

ANIMAL

[ 04. July 2004, 23:53: Message edited by: Animal ]

Guest AirGuardian

What a drunken stupor it was at SJ....those cells are dead from a long, long, time, ago on the W. Coast far, far, away...

Anyway, as SRO try to take care of your folks, but first and foremost-take care of yourself and study-no one else will do it for you and your guys can't stop you from washing out!

SRO at survival was plenty worse... good thing it was short!

Originally posted by Animal:

They sure do have double vodka Red Bulls here at CBM...and that is why I live stumbling distance from the bar! Wouldn't you agree Flyinjunky?

You live there? I just thought that was the after hours place that opened for drinks and breakfast when all the other joints closed.

Guest Animal
Originally posted by flyinjunky:

You live there? I just thought that was the after hours place that opened for drinks and breakfast when all the other joints closed.