MLS approaches

Guest egovolo

Guest egovolo

Are all AF aircraft equipped for MLS approaches? I've seen several KC-135's practice the MLS approach into Boise, but never any F-15s or 16s from Mountain Home or the A-10s and C130s out of BOI. Most of the time they will just practice the ILS with a low approach. I don't know of too many MLS systems out there. So is it just from an equipment standpoint, tactical, or what?

Guest lovelacm

I believe that most (if not all) Herks are equipped with the MLS. It's an emphasis item on our pilot checkride profiles (i.e. - it WILL be flown in lieu of an ILS _IF_ it's up and functioning.. not all that often).

Cheers!

Linda

C17,

I am a little slow on some things, but I did read about it in 11-217 (and per your request, I just reread it) and I still don't understand how you are supposed to tune in an MLS. Does it require a separate nav radio where you tune in the MLS channel? I see where in 11-217 it says that the course and DME information can be presented on conventional CDI's and DME indicators.

I was also told one time that MLS was supposed to be a more reliable replacement for ILS, but they stopped designing new MLS systems due to the advent and proliferation of GPS. Is this true too?

Thanks.

It requires a separate receiver. In the case of the c-17, it is integrated into the PLSR's(Precision Landing System Receiver) along with the VOR, ILS, and Marker Beacon. We just have to select the receiver and then tune the channel.

As far as your other questions, someone else will have to answer as I'm not really sure.

Guest HueyPilot

MLS was supposed to be the cheap ILS system of the future, until GPS entered the scene. Was supposed to allow easy set up for combat landing zones (ie, why Herks have MLS) and forward airfields.

MLS is going away, because it's useless now with GPS, and nobody has a working system anyways.

flyinjunky...get ready to fly the dandy new J model...the USMC wants a whole fleet of 'em. Both the copilots that went through phase one with us were going to J units.

Then its a good thing I didn't go Marine Aviation.

Come to think of it, the Hog is one of the last steam driven tactical airframes around. It's been at the top of my wish list since I started UPT.

Starting to sense a pattern to my madness... :cool:

Marine Battlehercs (sittin' sideways therein) was my former life.

[ 15. November 2004, 19:50: Message edited by: flyinjunky ]