Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest whairdhugo?

Changing/Switching airframes

Met lots of “recats” who were either unsure how they had been recatted or felt they had been sold a bill of goods.

Will be decades before the TAMI hangover is gone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2018 at 9:51 AM, Duck said:

As a PIT IP, I have been surprised by how terrible a large number of AF pilots are regardless of airframe.

After doing a tour at the Navy's T6 FITU (their version of PIT) I always said "What's easier, a student fam 1 ride or an instructor fam 1 ride?   ...the student fam 1, because he'll study."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, viper154 said:

We just had two bros get T-6 and T-1 waivers/instructor slots, they were A tour dudes who didn’t recat though, and only been out of manned for 3 ish years. I’m a UPT-D dude from the 2015 round, just got my drop sheet for my new assignment, expecting a return to manned at the end of the year. They denied waivers for 3 of the latest UPT D guys to recat. We are all getting forced back. 

Dont give up hope brother. 

I was out of the jet for way longer than 3 years before the start of PIT.  It wasn't all smooth sailing, but even old dudes can catch up.

It took many years, and a LOT of underhanded threats/ultimatums from AFPC, but I refused to ever re-cat.  Haven't regretted it once.

12 hours ago, Harambe said:

Whatever happened to those C-17 MAF to CAF guys?

They're at Delta with everyone else.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Harambe said:

I think one or two of them are done with IFF now.

20 hours ago, Harambe said:

Some say they're still at the wrong airport with the gear up and 4 engines FODded out. :beer: 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The TRON said:

I think one or two of them are done with IFF now.

I’m assuming they had to do a T-38 spin up course? Were these captains?

50 minutes ago, Harambe said:

I’m assuming they had to do a T-38 spin up course? Were these captains?

One of them was a T-38 IP at the time he was selected for crossflow. The other MAF guy went through a T-38 spin up. One was a Maj select and the other had already pinned on. 

Very interesting. Do people think these cross flows will continue, or was this just a one off thing?

8 hours ago, Day Man said:

Some say they're still at the wrong airport with the gear up and 4 engines FODded out. :beer: 

The-Stig-Full-.thumb.jpg.d921c2848a813d161111e66125029711.jpg

The Stig does not approve of being associate with those clowns.

On 5/22/2018 at 10:37 PM, Harambe said:

Very interesting. Do people think these cross flows will continue, or was this just a one off thing?

Who knows, it probably depends on how they do at IFF and the B-Course.  Then if anyone is even spending the time tracking them it probably depends on how it looks on someones quad chart.  Even then though it has all been quiet on the program since these four got their assignments.  They weren’t just C-17 guys too.

Legitimately asking for a friend, does anybody know any possibilities for a helo driver to get a fixed wing assignment (besides T-6s) before he gets out to be more marketable for the airlines?   

Edited by norskman

The functional isn’t releasing anybody to any non-RW platform except for T-6s. Unless you can snag an embassy gig flying C-12s the RW-regional transition is really all you got. 

The functional isn’t releasing anybody to any non-RW platform except for T-6s. Unless you can snag an embassy gig flying C-12s the RW-regional transition is really all you got. 

So this is completely unscientific and based 100% on observation, but out of my MAF to MAF buddies and my MAF to T-6 buddies, the guys with the T-6 tour have been getting picked up at a faster pace than my friends who where only KC/C dudes. I realize FEDEX/UPS is off the table, but if you are just looking at a major, I would take the T-6 if you can’t get anything else.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

So this is completely unscientific and based 100% on observation, but out of my MAF to MAF buddies and my MAF to T-6 buddies, the guys with the T-6 tour have been getting picked up at a faster pace than my friends who where only KC/C dudes. I realize FEDEX/UPS is off the table, but if you are just looking at a major, I would take the T-6 if you can’t get anything else.

Copy and thanks!  That's good gouge. 

• Like 1

Does anyone have any SA on the possibility of switching airframes from a fighter to a non-ACC heavy without a medical DQ for ejection seats? Is there any chance, especially with the current climate and mysteries of how AFPC works, it could happen?

18 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

Does anyone have any SA on the possibility of switching airframes from a fighter to a non-ACC heavy without a medical DQ for ejection seats? Is there any chance, especially with the current climate and mysteries of how AFPC works, it could happen?

Try to join the MAF Assignments and Mentoring page. All the assignment functionals and AMC/A1 are admins.

21 minutes ago, Hawg15 said:

She isn’t worth it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 4

You could look at AFSOC AC/MC-130 or HC/EC-130 and stay in ACC if you are just trying to avoid the iron triad.

• Like 1

Current 11F...good luck. You’ll need to wait til you can go guard/reserve.

There’s gotta be a chick involved to do something like this so you should just volunteer for UPT and have her try to get the same base.

Enjoy Laughlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

To the guys in the heavy community,

I just dropped C-17s, but, although I'm super excited for it, always wanted to go AFSOC. How common is it to move from AMC to AFSOC after your first assignment? Can anyone provide any guidance on how to go about this?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Longhorn said:

I just dropped C-17s, but, although I'm super excited for it, always wanted to go AFSOC. How common is it to move from AMC to AFSOC after your first assignment? Can anyone provide any guidance on how to go about this?

Possible. Sure. First focus should be on becoming the best C-17 pilot/new guy in the squadron you can be. Having a good standing with your squadron cc can go a long ways when assignment time comes around. As always, wants and needs of the air force always come first, and luck and timing is everything. If C-17 manning is good and a AFSOC airframe is hurting for guys when it’s time for your second assignment that’s your best chance.  

Edit to add-I’m at a AFSOC schoolhouse with quite a few prior MWS students from different airframes/backgrounds including AMC. 

Edited by viper154

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

In the MC-130 community it's very common to see AMC crossflow guys, previously it was mostly prior slick guys but I personally know 5 prior C-5/17/KC-135 guys that transitioned to MCs or ACs.  CV-22s are going to be a harder sell since the training pipeline is longer and always backed up.  Can't speak to U-28s or C-146s.  I'll echo the previous comment above, be the absolute best C-17 pilot you can be and be honest with your boss about what you want.  The better a pilot/officer you are the easier it will be for your Sq/CC to advocate on your behalf when the time comes.

In the U-28, the community started with guys from all the various AF airplanes so the community is used to that. Having said that, in the last few years if someone came from a different aircraft, 90% of the time it was a booger flick from a different community and that person was a major drain on their squadron.

Be in the 10% if you do switch, please.