Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

15 hours ago, Orbit said:

Correct, some beancounter decided to not add it to the list.  

https://registry.faa.gov/TypeRatings/

“Please don’t let them get a type rating”. - AF

”Ok”. - FAA

There are 100s of ERJ 170-190 variants but they couldn’t add the KC-46 to the 767 lol.  

1 minute ago, Biff_T said:

“Please don’t let them get a type rating”. - AF

”Ok”. - FAA

There are 100s of ERJ 170-190 variants but they couldn’t add the KC-46 to the 767 lol.  

Haven't you heard, it's an AF rated staff shortage = no insider to complete the FAA TPS report, or TPS coversheet, or TPS coverpage, you get the idea (in triplicate, the goldenrod one being most important).

And! Amn Snuffy is too busy processing pilots' separation paperwork vs. FAA nonsense. Sidenote: checkout the abysmal pilot retention metric this FY - ouch. Probably about to get worse after personnel $ SNAFU. 

16 hours ago, Orbit said:

Correct, some beancounter decided to not add it to the list.  

Well... the silver lining is that it doesn't matter.  

The airline hiring is so intense that if you're a KC-46 pilot, you'll get called for an interview.  

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2023 at 6:22 PM, FlyingGasAttendant said:

Looking at the mission, I think I just want to get away from AMC more than I want to be a U-2 pilot, which is not what your community is looking for. Plus, I have doubts I'd pass the interview, and the medical evaluation. I have some skeletons in my medical closet. Also...I don't want to live in California. I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my question, though. Seems like a great opportunity, just not one for me. Plus if it is retiring in 2026 and I get picked up...I'm an older pilot without a home and that rarely works out well for people. 

I've read the entire thread, and I think I will put in for white jets, the 89th, or try to go to UPT. I may also just suck it up and go to the 46 until my time is over, and then rush a guard or reserve unit. Doesn't seem to be much else out there, besides the people that call you, and I've never got that call. I think it's wise not to pursue something else until I put on Major.

It's not that bad, and it's only getting better.

• 8 months later...

Thread revival as I'm looking for some advice.

I'm currently a mid-senior Capt in a MWS which isn't doing it for me.  They are undermanned and reclama'ing everyone they can.  However, AFPC isn't playing ball and has denied my reclama.

I'd like to crossflow to another airframe; I've been consistent and transparent in this goal with my SQ/CCs

How, with the new Talent Marketplace, do I really get my name out there to get "bid" on?  I'm worried I won't show up on the screeners for any of the SQ/CCs I want to bid on me.  I've never had much of a chance to use Talent Marketplace due to being reclama'd repeatedly for years.

17 minutes ago, TheLaughingCow said:

I'm currently a mid-senior Capt in a MWS which isn't doing it for me.  They are undermanned and reclama'ing everyone they can.  However, AFPC isn't playing ball and has denied my reclama.

I'd like to crossflow to another airframe; I've been consistent and transparent in this goal with my SQ/CCs

How, with the new Talent Marketplace, do I really get my name out there to get "bid" on?  I'm worried I won't show up on the screeners for any of the SQ/CCs I want to bid on me.  I've never had much of a chance to use Talent Marketplace due to being reclama'd repeatedly for years.

Will your core functional release you to a mechanical crossflow?  If not, then it’s most likely not going to happen.  Have you been a UPT IP?  

6 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

Will your core functional release you to a mechanical crossflow?  If not, then it’s most likely not going to happen.  Have you been a UPT IP?  

I'm not sure, how can I find this out?  Just call the functional and ask?

I haven't been a UPT IP, I'm guessing this might be AFPC's plan for me.

23 minutes ago, TheLaughingCow said:

I'm not sure, how can I find this out?  Just call the functional and ask?

I haven't been a UPT IP, I'm guessing this might be AFPC's plan for me.

You can always call (if they’ll answer the phone) or email your assignments officer…however, depending on your rank and community, they may only want to talk to your CC as they want to make sure the CC is aware/concurs with your desires.

Not sure what you fly now, but go be a UPT IP—it will make you a much better pilot.  It can also (maybe) help open up other doors after that assignment.  Good luck!

5 hours ago, TheLaughingCow said:

Interview for a specialty program.  E-4, 89th, Thunderbirds, etc...

FYI: nearly all pilots will get deneid reclama is the scuttlebutt. I know of 1 approved of many. But that's not all. TIFWIW. 

What MAJCOM? Do they use TM?  AFSOC doesn't, it's a facade for them it seems. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Not sure what you fly now, but go be a UPT IP—it will make you a much better pilot.  It can also (maybe) help open up other doors after that assignment.  Good luck!

I can't emphasis the "maybe" aspect of this statement enough.

36 minutes ago, Boomer6 said:

I can't emphasis the "maybe" aspect of this statement enough.

It’s all about luck and timing.  The only time AFPC isn’t BSing you is when their lips aren’t moving.

If you're dealing with undermanned communities, it's going to be an uphill battle to get that functional release to go anywhere else.

Not sure what MWS you're in, but we're desperate for guys in the KC-46 to the point of some other MWS folks being non-vol'd to our community. On this VML there will be multiple "crossflow" billets to 46 bases. Travis is your best bet as they're currently still standing up their 46 unit and they need people. 

If you are 46...well....you can always rush a guard/reserve unit once you're done. Also, be advised, once you're in the 46 you're going to be there for likely the rest of your career. AFPC is not releasing anyone to any of the sexy stuff like U-2, B-2, 89th, E-4, Phoenix Reach, etc, and even the non sexy stuff like UPT. 

I will say that just about everyone that comes from another MWS is happy with the jump, specifically the AWACS, E-8, and 135 bubbas we have. 

Also, there are some communities that can tell AFPC to get bent. Test Pilot School is one of them, and if you ever receive a vaguely worded email about meeting the criteria for a "selective assignment", they can also tell AFPC to pound sand.

9 hours ago, HeloDude said:

It’s all about luck and timing.  The only time AFPC isn’t BSing you is when their lips aren’t moving.

Facts

Edited by The46IsntThatBad

6 hours ago, The46IsntThatBad said:

If you're dealing with undermanned communities, it's going to be an uphill battle to get that functional release to go anywhere else.

Not sure what MWS you're in, but we're desperate for guys in the KC-46 to the point of some other MWS folks being non-vol'd to our community. On this VML there will be multiple "crossflow" billets to 46 bases. Travis is your best bet as they're currently still standing up their 46 unit and they need people. 

If you are 46...well....you can always rush a guard/reserve unit once you're done. Also, be advised, once you're in the 46 you're going to be there for likely the rest of your career. AFPC is not releasing anyone to any of the sexy stuff like U-2, B-2, 89th, E-4, Phoenix Reach, etc, and even the non sexy stuff like UPT. 

I will say that just about everyone that comes from another MWS is happy with the jump, specifically the AWACS, E-8, and 135 bubbas we have. 

Also, there are some communities that can tell AFPC to get bent. Test Pilot School is one of them, and if you ever receive a vaguely worded email about meeting the criteria for a "selective assignment", they can also tell AFPC to pound sand.

Facts

Is there any specific way to ID these crossflow billets on the VML if we're interested in bidding on them? Or do they just appear as normal kc-46 travis billets? 

23 hours ago, LiquidSky said:

Is there any specific way to ID these crossflow billets on the VML if we're interested in bidding on them? Or do they just appear as normal kc-46 travis billets? 

They’ll appear like any other billet on your MAP list on TM. For the current winter VML, that list will open on April 22. Keep in mind that your functional “curates” the list and removes jobs you’re not eligible for or that they wouldn’t entertain releasing you to (as a Global Strike guy I’m not gonna see a job for an F-35 IP in Alaska).

And just because you can bid on something and get the billet owner to bid back on you, doesn’t mean you’d ever get that job. I was told “no chance” for a particular white jet job last cycle based on how they execute the Rated Management Directive and current manning priorities. That being said, if you see something you want, it never hurts to reach out to the functional and try and get more clarity.  Hope that helps. 

On 4/5/2024 at 6:07 AM, The46IsntThatBad said:

Facts

This is no longer true anymore and hasn’t been for awhile.

On 4/4/2024 at 10:43 AM, TheLaughingCow said:

PM or give a hint on your airframe. There are other ways, they may not be pretty/easy/conventional but they exist…  and I may know a guy…

Chuck

On 4/5/2024 at 1:44 PM, LiquidSky said:

On previous VMLs in Talent Marketplace there's specifically a "KC-46 Crossflow" billet to all the 46 bases, and in the description it will say "this is to crossflow to the KC-46, not for current KC-46 pilots, etc"... You may have to change your filters to find it. Easiest way would be to probably search "Crossflow" or filter it under 11M. Increase your chances by applying to the main active duty ones (Travis, McConnell, McGuire), but the higher QOL IMO lives at Pease and Seymour. 

Also, buyer beware that if the 46 is your first or second assignment, there's a strong chance you're going to Altus at some point in your career, and almost a guarantee if you're sticking around for 20. 

23 hours ago, DirkDiggler said:

This is no longer true anymore and hasn’t been for awhile.

Interesting, I did not know that. My RUMINT was off then. I applied to this once and was not selected to interview but it sounds like a pretty cool opportunity if you're one of the few guys that gets the call. 

Edited by The46IsntThatBad
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The46IsntThatBad said:

On previous VMLs in Talent Marketplace there's specifically a "KC-46 Crossflow" billet to all the 46 bases, and in the description it will say "this is to crossflow to the KC-46, not for current KC-46 pilots, etc"... You may have to change your filters to find it. Easiest way would be to probably search "Crossflow" or filter it under 11M. Increase your chances by applying to the main active duty ones (Travis, McConnell, McGuire), but the higher QOL IMO lives at Pease and Seymour. 

Good to know! Current VML hasn't dropped billets and I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to bid on Capt/Ac/IP slots or Lt/FP slots so the fact there's specific crossflow billets simplifies things.

Was aiming for travis, didn't even know Pease & Seymour were an option for AD.

Edited by LiquidSky

3 hours ago, LiquidSky said:

Good to know! Current VML hasn't dropped billets and I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to bid on Capt/Ac/IP slots or Lt/FP slots so the fact there's specific crossflow billets simplifies things.

Was aiming for travis, didn't even know Pease & Seymour were an option for AD.

I think the VML opens up in a couple weeks for assignment preferences (I think Apr 22nd?), and I don't think that the actual qual or rank of the crossflow matters. We've been getting copilots, ACs, and IPs from crossflow, LTs all the way up to Lt Cols. Copilots are now mostly coming from UPT, but we still get a couple copilots coming from communities like the AWACS where the upgrade timing is a lot longer than your typical MAF platform. 

Seymour and Pease are TFIs for AD, and they're usually very competitive to get. Much smaller footprint than the big 3. Think like 40-60 people vs hundreds at Travis/McGuire/McConnell.