Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

14 hours ago, pilotguy said:

Had you not been at ENJJPT you would've not been eligible to cross flow right now then. Crazy

A selection process (enjjpt) that happens in college before you lay a finger on a control of an airplane opens doors to people that are closed off to like 75% or whatever of pilots in the Air Force. That's interesting to think about too

Many years ago, someone posted a chart showing each component of the order of merit and correlated to success in pilot training. The only negative correlation (albeit slight) was commander's ranking. The most positive correlation was the BAT/TBAS.

Hopefully, once we get rid of the T-1, ENJPPT won't get any more or less fighters than UPT bases.

Edited by Seriously
  • Upvote 1

I had a 99 pcsm and a good GPA. Gotta love business school and RateMyProfessors.com. I was also the dumbest guy in my class and finished with the lowest academic ranking out of freaking everyone. Most days I had no clue what my classmates were talking about since they were all nuclear rocket surgeons from the Academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Seriously said:

Many years ago, someone posted a chart showing each component of the order of merit and correlated to success in pilot training. The only negative correlation (albeit slight) was commander's ranking. The most positive correlation was the BAT/TBAS.

Hopefully, once we get rid of the T-1, ENJPPT won't get any more or less fighters than UPT bases.

I was able to help people using commanders ranking and I guess on the flip side lower people on the overall drop list.  It is a valuable tool for SUPT flight commanders, people that haven't been in that position don't realize how powerfull it can be.  You could run the mass score for a week before turning in results to the SQ/CC.  You could really only move around the top couple studs and the bottom couple.  In the end though, you had to answer the mail on what you did to the SQ/CC.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Just when I got all the fvckin cats in the basket, you say something like this. Do you realize this pissing match happens every couple months? Nobody wins.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BobisBell said:

Ah lmao y'all think I'm hopeful. I'm just trying to call it as I see it.

Not trying to be a dick, but unless you've flown both heavies and fighters, you haven't seen shit...  Neither have I (yet), so I'll exercise my right to STFU until I've earned the right to comment on mil flying

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 1

Ah lmao y'all think I'm hopeful. I'm just trying to call it as I see it.

And I completely understand you calling it as you see it with your massive military aviation experience.

As a PIT IP, I have been surprised by how terrible a large number of AF pilots are regardless of airframe.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

What makes them terrible? Is it their attitude or do they just not have the innate skill to be a good pilot?

It’s a direct result to the institutional lack of focus on flying. If it’s not a priority to the AF, it tends to not be a priority.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

That's only AD though, right? Does Guard have this problem too?

The Guard although better than AD, has its own problems.

3 hours ago, Duck said:

As a PIT IP, I have been surprised by how terrible a large number of AF pilots are regardless of airframe.

T-6?  We had a handful of T-38 IPs that were terrible, most of them didn’t know it.  The studs were about the same.  In the F-16 the number was WAY smaller, but there was still an odd, um, “duck” in every squadron.  I don’t think there was a large number of poor pilots as I recall.

Duck, you're feeding the troll, bro.

This type of discussion (heavy vs. fighter) is just like the mil vs. civ discussion that pops up over on APC once every 2 or 3 days.  No one ever wins this argument.

2 hours ago, FUSEPLUG said:

This type of discussion (heavy vs. fighter) is just like the mil vs. civ discussion that pops up over on APC once every 2 or 3 days.  No one ever wins this argument.

Yeah, Mr Plug has a point.  Plus we all know the mil guys are better.  😁

• Haha 1

I’m sorry, I can’t help it.

Is anyone really arguing that flying heavies is hard (I’m a heavy guy. It’s not hard)?

Just quit being a dick to your tanker that’s all. Sometimes they have to turn through the sun. 

And sometimes your tanker just sucks. 

And sometimes the fighter guy breaks the boom nozzle off in his hole. 

Carry on. 😎

Edited by Homestar
That’s what she said
  • Like 1

the longer i've done this the more i've appreciated the roll that everyone plays.

heavies hard sts? no. at least not most of their flying, but they're needed and important. and that's not some "everyone gets a trophy" bs that's the honest truth.

no one operates in combat in a bubble. shit even F22 dudes are getting threat calls from the lowly heavy AWACS.

night 0 shit? yeah that might be a little different...for a few nights...but even that's gonna be a whole lotta teamwork

anyway not sure what the point of this post is gotta go back to the "emirates" thread for the juicy gossip c ya!

• Upvote 1

the longer i've done this the more i've appreciated the roll that everyone plays.
heavies hard sts? no. at least not most of their flying, but they're needed and important. and that's not some "everyone gets a trophy" bs that's the honest truth.
no one operates in combat in a bubble. shit even F22 dudes are getting threat calls from the lowly heavy AWACS.
night 0 shit? yeah that might be a little different...for a few nights...but even that's gonna be a whole lotta teamwork
anyway not sure what the point of this post is gotta go back to the "emirates" thread for the juicy gossip c ya!

But what about the role that they play?

11 hours ago, BobisBell said:

I'm not trying to stir shit up, just trying to see what is true and what isn't. Kept on reading and hearing people say heavies is just as hard as fighters, which is not true. ON THE OTHER HAND a heavy pilot can switch to a fighter and do just as well. It's generally more of the airframe requiring less skill and not the pilot, but I could be wrong.

quoted for truth (emphasis added)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Homestar said:

Is anyone really arguing that flying heavies is hard (I’m a heavy guy. It’s not hard)?

Just quit being a dick to your tanker that’s all. Sometimes they have to turn through the sun. 

And sometimes your tanker just sucks. 

And sometimes the fighter guy breaks the boom nozzle off in his hole. 

Carry on. 😎

Not all heavies are equal, sometimes big AMC forgets about us herk guys and I would venture to say that being  a herk dude down in the tactical mission set while when we aren’t getting boned by TACC has it’s useful challenges, certainly not easy by any means.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pilotguy said:

Is there ever a time where you can get the 3 year ADSC waived for switching airplanes?? Say, going from a C-5 to a T-6?

I looked at the reg. It’s clear as mud

Yes. The reg contradicts itself. Standard. But guys have gotten it waived down to 2 year PCS commitment