Changing/Switching airframes

Guest whairdhugo?

Oddly enough there has been no word of any of this for me, a heavy driver in ACC. Heard about it from a MAF buddy. Can't find anything on MYPERS either. Had to come here for any info. 

Nothing has been officially decided yet. This is all an AMC led idea to gather data on how many people would possibly be interested so they can present it to the rest of the Generals. At the earliest this will be implemented next year with AF approval.

On September 6, 2016 at 10:22 PM, B.L said:

... but because I'm an MC-12 dude...no dice. 

The MC-12 virus is 99% permanent.  I spent 13 months there as an O-5, and was overjoyed to leave that shitshow.  

Hopefully, you are persistent and will beat the odds.  

9 hours ago, Duck said:

I partly disagree with this. If you ask any UPT stud if they want to do the airlines maybe 2% will say that is their goal.

Ask any Capt/Maj and only about 2% want to stay in. So something is happening between year 1 and 8.

I think we would be surprised what some good, top to bottom leadership would do to retention and QOL. For too long the Air Force has taken for granted that their people just had no other options. "You unhappy? Fine, just leave. We will find someone else to replace you."

I am not saying that increasing airline pay isn't enticing some to leave, but I would say that the mass exodus to the airlines is really just a symptom of the larger issues that the Air Force has failed to address. I can go into specifics but I think that has been beat to death.

The Air Force has successfully turned the best job in the world into something that dudes are jumping over each other to leave... That's hard to do.

I think a lot of what happens is we grow up. Bright-eyed LTs become husbands and dads and start thinking about life after the AF and making more little league games. Priorities change as we get older and the AF can't control that. 

• Upvote 3

The MC-12 virus is 99% permanent.  I spent 13 months there as an O-5, and was overjoyed to leave that shitshow.  

Hopefully, you are persistent and will beat the odds.  

I'm hoping to join your former neck of the woods. Hopefully it works out. I'd love to get the stank off me. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

I think a lot of what happens is we grow up. Bright-eyed LTs become husbands and dads and start thinking about life after the AF and making more little league games. Priorities change as we get older and the AF can't control that. 

100% agree. I know that is partially what happened with me. The Air Force can and should do a better job of cleaning up its act. We preach that our people are important by we haven't practiced it in a long long time.

A younger dude here so maybe I could offer my 2 cents on why the big cultural shift for me. In the start of UPT I was stoked to go fly jets and get paid for it and could never understand why the older dudes always said they could not wait to get out. Fast forward to the end of UPT and I am already thinking of my indentured servitude of 10 years (experiencing terrible policy decisions and witnessing the best IPs pulling chocks because they couldn't deal with Big Blue anymore, also terrible Officers IMO getting promoted for kiss assery). But I remain optimistic and think maybe out in the CAF since UPT is AETC (grass is always greener...). Well get out to the CAF and realize things haven't changed that much in the terms of shenanigans in leadership. I have more queep jobs and assignments to do since we don't have the manning and that is more of an emphasis then flying and getting really good at your primary job as a pilot. Combine that with getting kicked in the junk by AFPC handing down some crap non flying gig or flying gig at some dump of a location. Also our FAM telling us (I'm an 11B) that our side of pilots is hurting as well and instead of having bargaining power since we are so few and far between that we will have more work and have less chance of doing some assignment we may want. So instead, we are now going to be stuck at Dyess or Minot for longer than we ever wanted to be there and there is nothing we can do about it. Add on top of that having a Lt Col DO black border patch telling me if he were in my shoes he would get the hell out at 10 and go fly for the airlines. I look for a reason to stay in the Air Force everyday but the Air Force always sends me back more reasons to go. So combine that with airlines paying 200k plus a year in a location that you want to live in, only doing your primary job of flying and not even a full months of work, guys don't have to ask themselves twice if Big Blue is the better gig. 

Side question. Anyone heard if they are going to open up this crossflow to fighters to the Bomber Bros? Leadership has not mentioned a word of it and I think it is to keep us in the dark a little bit so we all don't abandon post.  All of us are 38 quald and I know a ton of people that would take the chance. I have a healthy reality check of the answer being no because Big Blue is hurting in the 11B community as well but anything is possible in this AF as we all know. Thanks again fellas!

• Upvote 5

Sorry brother. Our 11Bs were told specifically no. Bombers are hurting just as bad. In fact the email from AMC mentioned crossflow to fighters or bombers.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Sorry brother. Our 11Bs were told specifically no. Bombers are hurting just as bad. In fact the email from AMC mentioned crossflow to fighters or bombers.

As always, thanks for the info Duck. I'll just keep loving the one I'm with as much as I can until ADSC is up and I can PC to some pointy nose Guard/Reserve unit.

• Upvote 1

On September 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Duck said:

"You unhappy? Fine, just leave. We will find someone else to replace you."

Major General Allardice, is that you?!  Nothing helps morale like have a two-star say that exact thing to your face as an impressionable junior captain.  That kind of stuff is what happens between year 1-8 -- in addition to marriage, kids, and changing priorities -- that make CGOs want to punch so badly.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, ColoradoAviator said:

Major General Allardice, is that you?!  Nothing helps morale like have a two-star say that exact thing to your face as an impressionable junior captain.  That kind of stuff is what happens between year 1-8 -- in addition to marriage, kids, and changing priorities -- that make CGOs want to punch so badly.

Echoing Allardice's words...that's exactly the threat my previous Gp/CC issued to me and the other instructors in the room during our instructor cert if we failed to keep up with the queep/admin part of being an instructor. What a cancer. 

On the flip side, the Wing king was a total bro...."I know all you guys are jumping ship to go to the airlines...let me know what I can do to help get you guys to stay. We need you"

• Upvote 2

On 9/9/2016 at 0:20 AM, Duck said:

Our FTU is less than 50% manned.  The VML webinar AFPC put on for the bomber guys said that staffing the FTU was the number one priority...but the FTU has a more significant shortage than any other squadron, in both the B-1 and B-52.

• Upvote 1

Echoing Allardice's words...that's exactly the threat my previous Gp/CC issued to me and the other instructors in the room during our instructor cert if we failed to keep up with the queep/admin part of being an instructor. What a cancer. 

On the flip side, the Wing king was a total bro...."I know all you guys are jumping ship to go to the airlines...let me know what I can do to help get you guys to stay. We need you"

Dice paid the price for his careerism. I know one of his daughter hates him and refuses to talk to him after she left the house. Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy...

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, WheelsOff said:

Did anyone mention get rid of the Gp/CC?

24 minutes ago, Sprkt69 said:

Did anyone mention get rid of the Gp/CC?

No...it would take some big cojones for someone to stand up and say that in this particular case. To be fair, he has done some good things like place more focus on effective training/employment. But it's his attitude/demeanor that rubbed me/some others the wrong way.

On September 10, 2016 at 5:22 PM, WheelsOff said:

No...it would take some big cojones for someone to stand up and say that in this particular case. To be fair, he has done some good things like place more focus on effective training/employment. But it's his attitude/demeanor that rubbed me/some others the wrong way.

In all my years here I've never seen any of my squadron commanders come back so visibly stressed from a meeting with a GP/CC than they do now every time they come back from meeting with said GP/CC.

In all my years here I've never seen any of my squadron commanders come back so visibly stressed from a meeting with a GP/CC than they do now every time they come back from meeting with said GP/CC.

Pooooooooorrrrrrrr leadership trying to make their mark.

Also known as a USAF fast burner.

Reference 6-9 years of "what's wrong with the USAF" thread.

On 9/5/2016 at 11:49 AM, pawnman said:

Lasers move faster than missiles.

Naw, lasers are just a space based AAA system.  The Empire uses the Big Blue new weapons system procurement model; they have "SAMs" but the missiles are still in the test/development phase awaiting a software update that will be ready "in only a few years".  In the mean time, "TAMI'd" Tie Fighter pilots are reassigned to Tatooine...  

• Upvote 1

On 9/10/2016 at 8:29 AM, WheelsOff said:

You can put a real quick stop to that by a show of solidarity among the instructors.

"Why haven't we graduated any MQT students?" "Well, sir, you pulled the instructor certifications from 50% of the instructors".

No...I'm saying that's what should happen when a GP/CC tells you, during the instructor cert, "If you don't want to be here, get out, I can find a hundred other people who want your job".

Approve our palace chases and we will...

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

No...I'm saying that's what should happen when a GP/CC tells you, during the instructor cert, "If you don't want to be here, get out, I can find a hundred other people who want your job".

Copy.  I'm slow.

Not knowing anything about this situation, but all the IP's out there know how frustrating it is to give syllabus ride 2 after some chode IP in the sq pencil whips the first gradesheet, gives you nothing that the student has to work on, or just marks everything up to MIF by clicking "quick complete". 

However, as Capt Nobody in the AF, I'd be pretty disillusioned if my gp/cc told me that.

• Upvote 4