Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

Wrong. The husband of one of the nav students in my PIT class is going through T-6 PIT right now to go to P-cola

The individual you are speaking of is going to P-Cola to fly Navs in the T-6, not Navy pilot trainees. So you, in fact, are incorrect.

Edited by brewskis

The pilots that are stationed with the AF that fly the navs around at P-cola do in fact go to PIT. The pilots stationed with the navy go through what they call the Fixed-Wing Instructor Training Unit (FITU), which is about 3 months of training stretched into 6 months at Whiting.

Anyway, the reason I asked is because we just got word at Whiting that the AF will no longer train students at Whiting. The last AF student has already started the program. There are a bunch of casual students here that will PCS out to Columbus, Laughlin and Vance. Us instructors aren't so sure whats going to happen with staying or PCSing. One thing that was brought up was to transfer over to Pensacola and fly the A model. I was just wondering if I'd have to go through 4 months of PIT just to transfer over to the steam gauges.

Edited by ARAMP1

The pilots that are stationed with the AF that fly the navs around at P-cola do in fact go to PIT. The pilots stationed with the navy go through what they call the Fixed-Wing Instructor Training Unit (FITU), which is about 3 months of training stretched into 6 months at Whiting.

Anyway, the reason I asked is because we just got word at Whiting that the AF will no longer train students at Whiting. The last AF student has already started the program. There are a bunch of casual students here that will PCS out to Columbus, Laughlin and Vance. Us instructors aren't so sure whats going to happen with staying our PCSing. One thing that was brought up was to transfer over to Pensacola and fly the A model. I was just wondering if I'd have to go through 4 months of PIT just to transfer over to the steam gauges.

The AF IPs at Pcola that transitioned from the Navy to the AF did not have to go through PIT. They did have to take some type of spin-up/checkride so they have an AF Form 8 on file.

Edited by flyboy2181
  • Upvote 1

If anyone has any questions or wants info about T6 Nav training at PCola (not Whiting) as an IP, PM me. Currently YES you will go through the normal PIT syllabus at RND which includes mostly formation even though you won't fly it here. You will also do everything from the back seat at PIT even though the Nav stud sits there on every sortie.

Edited by Shut up 'n color

Anyway, the reason I asked is because we just got word at Whiting that the AF will no longer train students at Whiting. The last AF student has already started the program. There are a bunch of casual students here that will PCS out to Columbus, Laughlin and Vance. Us instructors aren't so sure whats going to happen with staying or PCSing. One thing that was brought up was to transfer over to Pensacola and fly the A model. I was just wondering if I'd have to go through 4 months of PIT just to transfer over to the steam gauges.

Knowing the AF, yes they will want you to go to PIT again. lol I've been twice, it's fun :)

• 6 months later...

I am heading to T-6 PIT in October (accompanied) en-route to XL . I just got off the phone with lodging and was informed that I would probably not get a pet-friendly TLF because they "don't like giving them out for such a long period". Does anyone have any updates on the lodging situation at RND since the last posts are about a year old...I've seen something about TDY en-route dudes getting "priority" for lodging, but can't find the reference.

I'd rather save a headache and just stay on base.

Currently here and our class has had really bad experiences with lodging.

1) I moved rooms three times before finally moving off base into a Pit Pad (highly recommended for single dudes.) Building 393, my building, had no HVAC controls - you had to call the front desk and request a new temperature, and then they would forward it to CE. After a few days of discovering the heating element was broken, they moved me into a room with a sewage leak. Yeah... also no one in the building has heard of crew rest, the walkway is extra noisy with the maids' carts and doors slam at all hours of the day/night.

2) Another dude in our class moved twice in Bldg 393. There is another lodging room, Bldg 192/193 I want to say? that seemed a lot nicer and had local HVAC controls.

3) Haven't heard a single positive thing about the TLFs - one dude moved with his family because of bed bugs, into another room that had rats. Currently in his third TLF, it got elevated pretty high.

4) Another classmate lives in New Braunfels with his family, it was the closest place he could get on a short term lease that allowed pets. If you want the landlords contact info, let me know.

4) Most got off base somewhere, you have $1600 a month to find it, plus 42/day per diem.

• 4 weeks later...

I rented a furnished house in New Braunfels for $1400/mo all bills paid. Had a fenced-in backyard for my small dogs and was a .25 mile walk to Comal River and Schlitterbahn. The drive was a bit long, but I thought it was well worth it. I found it on a vacation home rental site and got the "winter Texan" rate after labor day. It was nice to float the river or go to Gruene Hall after getting Burbed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

To put a different question into the mix. I'm headed to T6 PIT in the spring and since my wife was popped for a deployment I will be bringing the kiddos. How difficult will that be on the training plan? I do have family in the area if I have to fly late or whatever but I plan on the kids staying with me wherever I find a place. Rather be Flying but I'm using Tapatalk

Edited by Lstcause257

To put a different question into the mix. I'm headed to T6 PIT in the spring and since my wife was popped for a deployed I will be bring the kiddos. How difficult will that be on the training plan? I do have family in the area I I have to fly late or whatever but I plan on the kids staying with me wherever I find a place.

Rather be Flying but I'm using Tapatalk

Does PIT teach how to speak English as part of the syllabus?

Got the official word from our cc yesterday: t-6 p-qual at the upt bases is coming back, due to be in effect summer 2014. I haven't heard about t1/38s yet.

Basic idea: if you receive an assignment to instruct in the t-6, you'll pcs to the upt base for initial qualification in the airframe. After academics, a few sims, and 8-10 sorties you'll take a front seat checkride. Then you'll go TDY to pit for the mission/instructional portion.

I'm not familiar with enjppt, but I don't think this will have any effect on their in house program.

No word yet on redistributing personnel/sims/jets from Randolph to the upt bases.

To put a different question into the mix. I'm headed to T6 PIT in the spring and since my wife was popped for a deployed I will be bring the kiddos. How difficult will that be on the training plan? I do have family in the area I I have to fly late or whatever but I plan on the kids staying with me wherever I find a place

Scheduleing shouldn't be a problem, we never had 12 hr days. We were always done flying by sunset (no night quals). Your scheduler can work with you a bit, students don't trip turn, but you might double turn on occasion.

Studying/chairflying might be an issue. Some guys in my class were taking Masters classes at the same time and did just fine, others struggled through. If you have never flown the T-6 or struggled in formation, the kiddos might be a lot of added stress.

Got the official word from our cc yesterday: t-6 p-qual at the upt bases is coming back, due to be in effect summer 2014. I haven't heard about t1/38s yet.

Basic idea: if you receive an assignment to instruct in the t-6, you'll pcs to the upt base for initial qualification in the airframe. After academics, a few sims, and 8-10 sorties you'll take a front seat checkride. Then you'll go TDY to pit for the mission/instructional portion.

I'm not familiar with enjppt, but I don't think this will have any effect on their in house program.

No word yet on redistributing personnel/sims/jets from Randolph to the upt bases.

Uh, I'm a current PIT IP and haven't even heard a whisper on this? If this is the case -- BONUS! Teaching folks who already have a clue -- awesome.

This is about the worst idea since ever. Currently our aircraft CAP is so low we can't even support the normal student load we have now.