Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

I'd be interested to see what the big deal is. Shady on the part of the pit pad owners? Sure. But from the AF perspective what difference does it make? Is it somehow more noble to pay Hilton that $109/nt? They may have actually saved the AF money since the hotel would be charging tax...

You seriously don't see the problem with renting out a single room in your house for $3000 a month, when you could rent a whole house for the same amount? It is definitely unethical and possibly illegal.

It's a contracting/kickback thing like guineapig said. Similar to the FBO contract fuel issues a few years ago; to attract crew going on out and backs, they'd do "free meal/swag/etc with purchase of XX gallons". They were still charging the govt contract rate for fuel, but the govt ethics people pointed out that the pilots were technically contracting officers now (since they were deciding where to land) and therefore couldn't accept free stuff from the businesses. That's why many places charge $1 for the awesome meal now instead of free.

This. I guarantee it's the gift cards that get people nailed, as that shit can be traced. That or somebody highlighted/incriminated themself on Facebook.

You seriously don't see the problem with renting out a single room in your house for $3000 a month, when you could rent a whole house for the same amount? It is definitely unethical and possibly illegal.

unethical, yes......illegal, no

unethical, yes......illegal, no

Exactly my point. If the dude spent all 10-12K on gourmet chefs and French maids how is it different from renting a place at a high-end condo that provides the same amenities? Ok so then how much is he allowed to profit, $50, $500, $5000? Who makes that call and why?

Agree the gift cards are idiotic. Other stuff could fall under "services" but that's a blatant kickback.

Exactly my point. If the dude spent all 10-12K on gourmet chefs and French maids how is it different from renting a place at a high-end condo that provides the same amenities? Ok so then how much is he allowed to profit, $50, $500, $5000? Who makes that call and why?

Agree the gift cards are idiotic. Other stuff could fall under "services" but that's a blatant kickback.

agreed. i'd imagine the gift cards are the straw that broke the camels back

Probably a stupid question, BUT--- is there any reason WHATSOEVER that I would need a helmet/mask for T-1 PIT? I know I wouldn't need it for the actual T-1 school part, but I want to make sure there is no "other aircraft orientation" BS where you have to ride in the T-6/38? Reason I ask is that if I need it I'll bring it, but if not I'm going to pack it with my HHG. I really REALLY do not want to have to wear rent-a-masks, as my freakishly mis-shapen face does NOT get along well with masks that are not fitted properly.

Probably a stupid question, BUT--- is there any reason WHATSOEVER that I would need a helmet/mask for T-1 PIT? I know I wouldn't need it for the actual T-1 school part, but I want to make sure there is no "other aircraft orientation" BS where you have to ride in the T-6/38? Reason I ask is that if I need it I'll bring it, but if not I'm going to pack it with my HHG. I really REALLY do not want to have to wear rent-a-masks, as my freakishly mis-shapen face does NOT get along well with masks that are not fitted properly.

Why not just bring it....?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if the guys that fly the navs around in the T-6 and T-1s at pensacola go through the same sylibus as the guys going to UPT bases?

As of right now, the T-6 guys are doing the same syllabus. There is talk of changing things but right now it is just talk.

I'm pretty sure the T-1 pilots (almost all are contract pilots) also go through the same T-1 PIT syllabus.

There are 5 navs in my T-1 PIT class right now. They go through the exact same program as the pilots do up to (and including) the qual check, and then go back to Pensacola for whatever nav specific training they will get while the pilots go on to finish the T-1 PIT program.

Interesting. What's their Form 8 look like? Does it show basic qualification as a pilot in the T-1? Does the AF (or Navy, once at P'cola) treat it as such (i.e., will they ever land the airplane again), or is it simply a safety valve for the training environment at SUNT?

Disclaimer: I know diddly-squat about SUNT or P'cola flying or the T-1....

Interesting. What's their Form 8 look like? Does it show basic qualification as a pilot in the T-1? Does the AF (or Navy, once at P'cola) treat it as such (i.e., will they ever land the airplane again), or is it simply a safety valve for the training environment at SUNT?

Disclaimer: I know diddly-squat about SUNT or P'cola flying or the T-1....

I know they're not going to qual to be an AC on the airplane. My understanding is that at P-Cola the nav student will sit in the right seat and the I-nav will be in the jump seat, but I think during an EP they would jump into the right seat to perform copilot duties.

Anyone know if the guys that fly the navs around in the T-6 and T-1s at pensacola go through the same sylibus as the guys going to UPT bases?

Woah, hold on there. The IP's in the T-6 at pensacola & whiting for that matter train in-house at pensacola/whiting. They don't go through PIT at randolph.

As for Instructor NAV's that are going to pensacola? I have no idea, but I do know the NAV's do not fly/land the planes for obvious reasons. They act as nav's in the right seat and/or instruct the student nav in the right seat, they are not 'copilots'.

Edited by theat6bisasham

Woah, hold on there. The IP's in the T-6 at pensacola & whiting for that matter train in-house at pensacola/whiting. They don't go through PIT at randolph.

As for Instructor NAV's that are going to pensacola? I have no idea, but I do know the NAV's do not fly/land the planes for obvious reasons. They act as nav's in the right seat and/or instruct the student nav in the right seat, they are not 'copilots'.

The pilot in our sq who is doing T-6s @ Pensacola (joint spouse) had PIT dates to Randolph...

Not true for AF dudes training navs in the T-6 at Pensacola unless that changed in the last year.

Wrong. The husband of one of the nav students in my PIT class is going through T-6 PIT right now to go to P-cola

Edited by Napoleon_Tanerite