Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

4 hours ago, epsilon said:

I know some of these topics have been kicked around before so I apologize in advance.

I'm coming off a remote where my family was non-csp with me and I'm headed to Randolph PIT enroute to my next base.  Ideally, I'd like to bring them with me for some of the time and I'm looking at trying to stay off base in a furnished apartment, or potentially try to get a TLF.  I know all the drama a few months back with big blue trying to force us to stay on base and it seems that was squashed.  Does anyone know if the wg/cc there has a specific policy directing students to stay on base?  Ideally, I'd like to just show up and never even visit the lodging office.

Also, any good recommendations for furnished apartments (not PIT pads)?  Are TLFs even worth trying to get?

Thanks

You just grab a welcome packet at the front desk. You don't need to check in. You can stay off base.

Alamo corporate is one.

I can't stress how important it is to stay off base, way too many of our student's end up dealing with mold / lack of hot water / other quality of life issues on base that become a distraction to them.   Find a good apartment or PIT pad, its massively worth it.  Avoid Pat Brooker / Converse and other ghetto areas.

Edited by DirtyFlightSuit
grammer fail

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

Confirm wherever you stay you just need to provide a receipt to get finance to reimburse?

Affirm, a receipt or a copy of the lease. Based on the experience of multiple dudes in my squadron, if you take your spouse with you DO NOT put their name in the lease, or finance will decide you're only entitled to 50% of your lodging costs 

Thanks everyone for the responses.  Looks like I'll go for an Alamo apt off base.  

Just curious:  does anyone know what the PIT squadrons typically do over Christmas/New Years?  Is there opportunity to take leave or do they work some days between Christmas and 1 Jan?  

• 6 months later...

Just stayed at https://www.militarycrashpad.com and had an awesome time! They provided a clean and HUGE house. They had a pool table, theater room, an in-home chef, and they even gave me free credits for Lyft. I came alone but I met some cool dudes and left with some new friends. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

One last tidbit, they only charge $60/night so you don't pay a penny out of pocket...not too shabby. 

• Downvote 5

3 hours ago, LookieRookie said:

This seems like marketing.

Brand new account and only posts are a review

Weirder is he went to Randolph and stayed at a crash pad but asked about where to live at Sheppard.  Not adding up.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I’m off to PIT in August and plan on taking the fam with me (4 of us). Anybody have the latest and greatest info on furnished apartments in the area or anywhere that people may have stayed that is somewhat in the range of lodging per diem ~1800 month.

Edit: I checked with Alamo and a two bedroom is $2550+

Hey guys. I’m off to PIT in August and plan on taking the fam with me (4 of us). Anybody have the latest and greatest info on furnished apartments in the area or anywhere that people may have stayed that is somewhat in the range of lodging per diem ~1800 month.

Edit: I checked with Alamo and a two bedroom is $2550+

Brolagio.

I ended up doing the two bedroom with Alamo.  As it turned out my family only visited a couple of times.  My intent was to have them stay most of the time but the new baby proved to be a pain in the ass and my wife decided it was easier for her to stay with her parents in DFW.  

Alamo gave me a place at “retreat at Chelsea Place.”  It’s located behind a bunch of car dealerships on the 4 mile T-38 final for rwy 15L.  It’s not bad but it’s not great.  My apt was on the closest side to the interstate and the dealerships which meant a shit ton of road noise and car alarms from the retards at the dealerships.  

I think if if you got one further south in the same complex it would be ok.  Alamo was super easy to work with and I had no issues.  

PIT with a family is tough.  But it also sucks being away from family.  Several dudes in my class had family and made it happen.  You can also look into renting on on base house and filling it with min furnishings.  A dude in my class was able to negotiate this with randolph housing and it worked great for him.

good luck

I ended up doing the two bedroom with Alamo.  As it turned out my family only visited a couple of times.  My intent was to have them stay most of the time but the new baby proved to be a pain in the ass and my wife decided it was easier for her to stay with her parents in DFW.  
Alamo gave me a place at “retreat at Chelsea Place.”  It’s located behind a bunch of car dealerships on the 4 mile T-38 final for rwy 15L.  It’s not bad but it’s not great.  My apt was on the closest side to the interstate and the dealerships which meant a shit ton of road noise and car alarms from the retards at the dealerships.  
I think if if you got one further south in the same complex it would be ok.  Alamo was super easy to work with and I had no issues.  
PIT with a family is tough.  But it also sucks being away from family.  Several dudes in my class had family and made it happen.  You can also look into renting on on base house and filling it with min furnishings.  A dude in my class was able to negotiate this with randolph housing and it worked great for him.
good luck

Thanks for the info. Not bringing the family really isn’t an option for me. I did speak with Alamo. $2550 was the starting price for their two bedroom apartments. Trying not to spend $700+/month out of pocket though. I got a little time so I’ll keep looking.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Not bringing the family really isn’t an option for me. I did speak with Alamo. $2550 was the starting price for their two bedroom apartments. Trying not to spend $700+/month out of pocket though. I got a little time so I’ll keep looking.

PM Sent.

9 hours ago, youdontknowthis said:

Are you TDY-en route?  And if not, are you planning on going back to your home for quite a while at your losing base?  Reason I ask is because in addition to per diem lodging, you're still getting your BAH...which I imagine is much more than $700/month.  I know we all want to bank as much money as possible when TDY, but unless you're in a different situation than most then I don't see the financial problem.

I stayed in a pit pad for a couple months, then moved to an extended stay hotel for 2 months. Pit pad was okay until they rented out a fifth room, making it too crowded. I then moved to the Hawthorne Suites, which came in under the on base rate and had hot breakfast everyday and no fighting for a bathroom in the morning.

• 1 month later...

We rent our house to folks bringing their families going through PIT - 3 bed/2 bath fully furnished single family house close to Randolph. Pet-friendly too!  Check out our facebook page @familypitpad or PM me.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where is all the gouge?  When I went through UPT years ago, there was a lot of great stuff out there.  Now it seems like someone has carefully combed through the internet and removed all of it.  Yet strangely, there is quite a bit of T-6B info out there, even YouTube videos of IPs instructing in uniform.  Did Big Blue crack down or is something else going on?  WTFO?