Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

I'm currently at PIT with the wife and two dogs and we are off base in a furnished apartment. The catch is I don't think we will be reembursed more than $39 a day so we're eating the cost a little (still get BAH) but we weren't going to put the dogs in a kennel for 4 months and we sold the house at the previous base so that was really our only option.

Um...i'm pretty sure that is fraud...collecting BAH without a household at your previous assignment. Same as when dudes close up their apartments and move their crap into storage and still collect BAH while deployed. Pretty sure the reg says you have to maintain a household or some such nonsense.

Anyway - might want to keep that on the DL from finance :)

Edited by theat6bisasham

at6, perhaps you should go read the regs yourself:

A member’s old PDS is the PDS for BAH purposes from the day the member departs the old PDS through the day before the member reports to the new PDS in compliance with permanent change of station (PCS) orders (if the member had been residing in government quarters at the old PDS, the member is entitled to BAH the date of termination of government quarters).

DoD FMR Vol 7, Chap 26.

If they lived on base at their old location and are now TDY enroute to their new location, they get BAH for their previous base until they sign in at the new base. Are they committing fraud too?

Um...i'm pretty sure that is fraud...collecting BAH without a household at your previous assignment. Same as when dudes close up their apartments and move their crap into storage and still collect BAH while deployed. Pretty sure the reg says you have to maintain a household or some such nonsense.

Anyway - might want to keep that on the DL from finance :)

I called finance before I left and they assured me I would continue to get my BAH while TDY - didn't want to drop the coin on the furnished apartment otherwise.

...I asked to PA out of as many flights as possible b/c I needed to get home for the birth of my kid and was still at RND for about 4 months.

Well... as a former PIT IP, I'd say that maybe you didn't perform well enough to PA out of the events.

at6, perhaps you should go read the regs yourself: DoD FMR Vol 7, Chap 26. If they lived on base at their old location and are now TDY enroute to their new location, they get BAH for their previous base until they sign in at the new base. Are they committing fraud too?

The shoe clerk is strong in this one....I have no dog in the fight. Just passing on what is regular gouge here when we deploy. Move into a storage unit and you are getting in trouble they claim, so no one does it. I have no fricking clue if it's right or not because it doesn't matter to me :) Enjoy!

Just passing on what is regular gouge here when we deploy. Move into a storage unit and you are getting in trouble they claim, so no one does it. I have no fricking clue if it's right or not

...and what we are pointing out is that your "regular gouge" is flat-out wrong.

Well... as a former PIT IP, I'd say that maybe you didn't perform well enough to PA out of the events.

My original PIT class had a Test Pilot, MWS IP's and former PIT IP's that were there going through again and NOBODY prof advanced out of any flights, even when they asked to do so.

So, any bright ideas on why this occured since you were a former PIT IP b/c your above reasoning doesn't really cut it?

Edited by Tank

Mmmm... maybe your entire class sucked?

Seriously though... I would have no further "bright ideas" on your difficult time at PIT.

Edited by Huggyu2

Got the brief today from the 559 and 560. PA is still an option, but not used very often. And when it is, it may only cut-off 1 or 2 weeks at the most.

It all depends on who you are. I speak solely for the T-6 side. We had a CC type for an SRO and they ludicrous speeded that mofo through. If I recall correctly the man was out the door in 2 months flat and leadership wasn't happy about [not finishing sooner] back home from what I heard. Isn't aircraft quals used for promotion fodder and careerism, irrespective of skill, a beautiful thing? :bash:

For the rest, I dunno it's a mixed bag. Hell I only PAd one flying event, more of a scheduler's convenience move than anything, though I could have PA'd a lot more (Im fokin' awesome though :thefinger: ) and I still shaved 2 weeks off the program.

PIT's a boondogle. A haze, a theater; a pantomime quite literally, actually. It's there mainly to keep the real weak swimmers away from a position of responsibility. For the most part it does the implied mission decently well (keeping weak swimmers from being the last link in the PIC chain) , but at the stated mission (teaching to instruct) it fails at it wholesale. And you know what? That's par for the course in my book. But it's a great PCS location and damn it we need good deals whenever we can get them. Surely those guys are not the only ones eating ice cream for a living, Shirley. The world is grey.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little update for those of you that are DINKs w/ pets: There is zero possiblity for pet-friendly TLFs for you. Also, expect to get push-back WRT trying to stay off base. They are trying to tell me I'd have to kennel my dogs for five months and have to stay on base.

Edited by Mi Scusi!

• 2 months later...

Brewskis, I started in April. My class had several families with pets and they were all able to live off base with no hassle. Expect single guys/gals will have to live in dorms, though if you have a dog/cat, they may make an exception.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that are currently there, what meal rate is on your orders? I just got an amendment to my PCS orders and on the back it states : "All gov't meals and loding are available and directed (Gov't rate)." I'm assuming I'll only get $11.55/day for the entire time, or are any of you getting PMR? We are looking at staying off base due to pets, but with the GMR, I may have to rethink our plans.

If you are off base, you get the full rate. period. dot.

Yeah, but that's with a non-A correct? According to RND lodging, we will not be getting a non-A. I'm under the impression that if the orders state GMR, that is what we get even if we choose to live off base w/out a non-A. I can deal with proportional rate, but if it's going to be GMR only, I'm going to have to move the Off-Base Commander ahead to the next base.

My orders say "Partial Govt Meals are available" and "Per Diem is based on the availabiltiy of Govt Quarters and Mess"

My orders are for 97 days and Estimated Per Diem costs are $8,799.78

VOQ rate is $39/night (97 x $39 = $3,783)

So the differnece should be the portion of per diem for food and incentitals: $8,799.78 - $3,783 = $5,016.78

$5,016.78 / 97 days = $51.69 per day

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Thanks for the info! I understand I'll only get $39/day, but I'm wondering if my orders should state proportional rate rather than GMR since there are some currently at PIT receiving proportional. Unfortunately, the MPE that cut my amendments does not have a POC for someone that can fix it. They said they need something in writing that states I should receive the proportional rate rather than GMR.