Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

I'll be there Aug-Dec as well. There is a company, Corporate Apartment Network, that can get you furnished apartments for under your per diem. Everything is included, ie electric, cable, internet, etc. In addition to normal furniture it has dinnerware, microwave, coffee maker etc. Also, you get maid service once a week. They also take the GOV CC, which most of the PIT pads can't. You only pay them and don't have to deal with anybody else. You can just google it and look at their site to get all the info you need. You sign as lease for as long as your gonna be there (no six months). I made them make my lease for two weeks shorter than the expected grad date, just in case I finish early and don't want any problems. The only thing about that is if they have someone ready to move in when your lease is up, then you have to move out. Otherwise, you can still stay there on a day to day basis. I would rather move to a hotel for the last couple of weeks, rather than pay for two weeks out of pocket if it comes down to that. I don't expect them to have someone waiting to move in, though, due to Christmas at that time. If you call them, I used a lady by the name of Hope and she seemed really nice.

I'm headed to T-1 PIT this Aug-Dec. Any good recommendations on where to stay for the wife and I? It looks like the renovations there might help us out if they're still on-going in August.. I've found some of these "Pit Pads" online and through word of mouth, but they look more bachelor friendly. What's the latest and greatest? Any specific suggestions?

I stayed at Vantage at Schertz for the 4 months. No complaints really, other than the railroad tracks are very close. It took me 2 months to get used to the trains blasting their horn. Other than that, it's close to base (6-9 minute max even with traffic), food, malls, etc... PM me if you want their furnished apt rep. She loved working with military families. Are you going to VN?

Thanks guys. I found a Corporate Housing type guy to deal with and it seems like it'll work quite well. Exactly what I'm looking for.

G2S, I'm pretty sure we were in T-34s and then 07-03 at VN together... yup, heading back to Vance. PIT starts Monday, can't wait!

I stayed at Vantage at Schertz for the 4 months. No complaints really, other than the railroad tracks are very close. It took me 2 months to get used to the trains blasting their horn. Other than that, it's close to base (6-9 minute max even with traffic), food, malls, etc... PM me if you want their furnished apt rep. She loved working with military families. Are you going to VN?

So the train is pretty bad? We were going to use Vantage at Schertz, but we will have a 1 year old with us where a train might not work. I guess I'll need to look around more, but we are trying to find a place that allows 2 medium dogs (that doesn't charge absurd non-refundable fees), close to base and is still a good home for the family for 4 months. If anyone has any inputs please through them out there.

C17 Pirate -- Did you get a Non A?

I did, yes. Our whole class is off base. I'll keep my ears open for ya and let you know if I hear of any place that'd take dogs like that. We don't have a dog (yet) but we were thinking about getting one soon(ish) and I'll ask our place, too.

So the train is pretty bad? We were going to use Vantage at Schertz, but we will have a 1 year old with us where a train might not work. I guess I'll need to look around more, but we are trying to find a place that allows 2 medium dogs (that doesn't charge absurd non-refundable fees), close to base and is still a good home for the family for 4 months. If anyone has any inputs please through them out there.

C17 Pirate -- Did you get a Non A?

The Vantage isn't bad. I'm here now. I live over by the Main office and the neighbors make more racket than the train does unless you end up in the units closest to the train.

I run a furnished housing company in San Antonio and I can tell you that you would be better off staying in the Selma area. Both the Vantage in Schertz and the one in Converse have train tracks running beside them. The Non-A in San Antonio provides $117/night. At that rate you can certainly do better! Most of the neighborhoods in the general area of RAFB are subpar for what your daily allowance allows. I currently put people at the Retreat at Chelsea Park. It's the only place I put pilots (assuming there is availability). No need to go to Cort and setting up all the furnishings, appliances, cable, utilities, internet, insurance, water, etc...as I can set it all up for you. No need to deal with the headaches..that's what I get paid for!

No hassles, all your bills included, single occupancy, cleaning service, flat screen TVs, 50+ premium movie channels (HBO, Showtime, TMC, Stars, etc...), full size washer and dryer in your unit, all you household amenities, appliances, linens, covered parking, etc...and it doesn't cost you anything out of pocket.

It's like walking into someone else's apartment. Everything is all setup...all you really need is your clothes and some groceries.

I wouldn't even be on this site if a couple of my current PIT tenants hadn't suggested it...they asked that I post so that other would be aware that there is a better option. Three month minimum, sometime shorter.

I'd love to talk to you if you have any questions...sales@alamocorporatehousing.com

That was me (well, my wife) that suggested he post here. I can recommend.. was a pretty easy and good deal to walk into. Once you know you have a Non-A, it only takes a few days (a week at most) for him to set it up for you. My wife couldn't have been happier about how easy it was and she even had a few silly demands of what kind of kitchen/bathroom stuff she wanted and he got them no problem .. and it helped her put the worries of the temporary living situation away. Way better than a hotel somewhere. Also, as ACH mentioned, it is pretty quiet here for an apartment complex. Occasionally the sound of jets on final/departure from RND, but nothing to keep you up at night.

The drive to work isn't bad at all, either. Just a shade over 10 minutes avoiding the highway. Going to feel like an eternity to those coming from on-base at UPT, but I'm coming from McChord and 20 minutes in the car a day feels like a breeze.

To answer the above question about dogs, this place has weight limits and no puppies. Pretty standard for an apartment.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Whats the best way to find furnished houses around Randolph? Looking more for the family type, not the standard bachelor PIT Pads.

I used Alamo Corporate Housing. You can find their details several threads above.

• 4 months later...

I've been reading in the other thread on Non-As that the Randolph OG is now requiring PIT studs to stay on base. Is this requirement the same for those of us that are bringing our families? I saw the OG's MFR but there was nothing with regards to those of us bringing pets. Anyone have any recent experience?

I would suggest maybe calling down there and see what they say (as a backup to the stray comments you will get form folks around here) and then post what they tell you.

I've been reading in the other thread on Non-As that the Randolph OG is now requiring PIT studs to stay on base. Is this requirement the same for those of us that are bringing our families? I saw the OG's MFR but there was nothing with regards to those of us bringing pets. Anyone have any recent experience?

I'm at PIT now, and according to the billeting manager pets are no longer a valid excuse to live off base; I tried that route. Basically, the way I understand it, the only people who are allowed to live off base are those who are married and are accompanied by their family. Single and non-accompanied married are in the dorms.

I'm at PIT now, and according to the billeting manager pets are no longer a valid excuse to live off base; I tried that route. Basically, the way I understand it, the only people who are allowed to live off base are those who are married and are accompanied by their family. Single and non-accompanied married are in the dorms.

What if it is 2 gay dudes?

If you are married with them, you can get an apartment or house. You can rent furniture and get your expenses reimbursed. Pets are a no go for now. Neither is a fiancé, or even your most prized gay gerbils. The policy is currently under fire from multiple angles. The more people there bitch, the quicker I think it will get reversed. I don't think people are as happy with the redone dorms as expected. Plus, a bunch of PIT Pad owners and students are trying to figure out the tactful legality of the matter between masters papers. If you are heading for T-6's, I can send you some slightly dated info. rickybobby135@gmail.com. Later

Maybe... if all these folks put as much effort into their training as they do into the hours of worrying, bitching and researching this housing issue, they'd be out of PIT quicker, bust less sorties, and be better instructors.

And, yes, I lived in the Q's when I went through PIT as a lieutenant. They were just fine.

And, yes, I lived in the Q's when I went through PIT as a lieutenant. They were just fine.

But they were brand-new then.

• Upvote 1

Maybe... if all these folks put as much effort into their training as they do into the hours of worrying, bitching and researching this housing issue, they'd be out of PIT quicker, bust less sorties, and be better instructors.

Highly unlikely....

The first time I went through PIT I asked to PA out of as many flights as possible b/c I needed to get home for the birth of my kid and was still at RND for about 4 months.

It is almost like the IP's are told to make sure all studs stay for the full length of their TDY to just find a reason for the existence of PIT at Randolph. Just think of the money saved if all bases were like Sheppard and there was a PIT flight to train the future IP's at Columbus, Vance and Laughlin.

Edited by Tank

I would suggest maybe calling down there and see what they say (as a backup to the stray comments you will get form folks around here) and then post what they tell you.

I gave them a call and they said they're starting to move towards making everyone stay on base including those with families and animals (if there's availability), and in order to stay off base, there must be approval. The woman I spoke with said if a family wants to stay in the TLFs they should call one-two months out to reserve a pet friendly TLF. So for those that want to stay off base, bring your family and pets and don't call in advance. For those that are single or unaccompanied, you may be SOL.

I'm currently at PIT with the wife and two dogs and we are off base in a furnished apartment. The catch is I don't think we will be reembursed more than $39 a day so we're eating the cost a little (still get BAH) but we weren't going to put the dogs in a kennel for 4 months and we sold the house at the previous base so that was really our only option.