Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

10 hours ago, Standby said:

Might be shining my ass a bit here but...are EFBs allowed in the T-38?

The T-38's supporting F-22 ops are using them.  And a few years ago, Whitman got approved to use them... though I don't know if they actually are using them.  

5 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

The T-38's supporting F-22 ops are using them.  And a few years ago, Whitman got approved to use them... though I don't know if they actually are using them.  

Sort of. 

We still carry paper pubs at Tyndall. 

• 2 weeks later...

AFGSC is full up EFB for their T-38s.  We recently started using iPads at Beale but they're not labeled as EFBs, we still have to carry paper.  ACC is working on a command wide EFB program, it falls into the "I'll believe it when I see it category" but at least they're finally on the right track.

iPad and Stratus puck is now part of my personal MEL.

• Upvote 1

AFGSC is full up EFB for their T-38s.  We recently started using iPads at Beale but they're not labeled as EFBs, we still have to carry paper.  ACC is working on a command wide EFB program, it falls into the "I'll believe it when I see it category" but at least they're finally on the right track.
iPad and Stratus puck is now part of my personal MEL.

The fact that stone age AFGSC is ahead of another MAJCOM in something is unbelievable.
  • Upvote 4

Like anything worthwhile it starts with a grassroots effort.  It took us a year and a half just to get commercial Wi-Fi in our squadron. I'd think AETC would have more motivation than anyone to modernize.  Hire a bunch of nerds from Apple and Google, put iPads in everyone's hands, develop apps...you could be filling out gradesheets and 781s on a TIMS app when you're taxiing in.  Throw up a playback of the flight on an Apple TV in the debrief. Tons of ways to leverage technology to make us better.  But no...we're going to keep paying millions of dollars for f*cking ePex!  But I digress.

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, AZwildcat said:

Like anything worthwhile it starts with a grassroots effort.  It took us a year and a half just to get commercial Wi-Fi in our squadron. I'd think AETC would have more motivation than anyone to modernize.  Hire a bunch of nerds from Apple and Google, put iPads in everyone's hands, develop apps...you could be filling out gradesheets and 781s on a TIMS app when you're taxiing in.  Throw up a playback of the flight on an Apple TV in the debrief. Tons of ways to leverage technology to make us better.  But no...we're going to keep paying millions of dollars for f*cking ePex!  But I digress.

Wifi near a secure vault.....no way.

8 hours ago, matmacwc said:

Wifi near a secure vault.....no way.

It's not rocket science man, the SCIF has thick walls for a reason.

My squadron on AD was the test bed for EFBs in AFSOC and I believe one of the first if not the first squadron in the AF to be full-up EFB for flight ops. With wifi in the building to wirelessly sync to a pubs server. And we did it with SCIFs in every building and TS being processed on the planes.

For something that makes this much sense, the obstacles the OPSEC shoes throw in your path can be overcome, I've seen it up close and personal.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 1

EFB = Electronic Flight Bag?

When we went East we were issued tablets from our Intel shop every morning prior to the brief, and they had 1) All of our aircraft pubs, 2) all the pertinent nav stuff, and 3) Killswitch.

1) When you're 1,000 miles from home and your duty office on the radio, and have an issue, it's nice to be able to really delve into the issue.

2) In a tight cockpit that's full of water, food, and other miscellaneous gear that you hope to not have to use, it's awesome saving space.

3) Game changer. The ability to record 9-lines, plot, conduct talk-ons, and correlate on a device the size of a kneeboard vice having pages and pages of maps and notes... I cannot speak highly enough about how much of a force multiplier in the cockpit possessing a tablet is.

And then we get back home and they're taken away. Standard.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Probably exposing myself, but both the wife and I will be going through PIT which presumably means double the monies for lodging.  Can anybody recommend a crashpad or short-term rental that has a garage and an outdoor freshwater source?  Hoping we'll get a chance to do some fishing out of Corpus and cleaning fish blood becomes difficult when living out of a hotel or the like.

Edited by Standby

21 hours ago, Standby said:

Probably exposing myself, but both the wife and I will be going through PIT which presumably means double the monies for lodging.  Can anybody recommend a crashpad or short-term rental that has a garage and an outdoor freshwater source?  Hoping we'll get a chance to do some fishing out of Corpus and cleaning fish blood becomes difficult when living out of a hotel or the like.

Not sure about the joint-spouse finances...from what I can tell it's become a worse deal over the last few years with the cut rate per diem and lack of non-availability letters.  I'm in the same boat, headed back there this summer and looking for housing.  Plenty of PIT pads out there these days, but that typically means roommates.  I'm seeing furnished houses and corporate apartments rent for 2.1-2.6ish per month, which is above the 60/night rate the govt will pay.  Also looks like the per diem is now 48 dollars per day.

I'm sure a PIT pad would be willing to put you guys in a master bedroom and those houses often times have garages, big backyards and lots of square footage.  Trying to convince the wife to live with roommates is the difficult part.  "Don't worry babe, I know it's called the "Bro-lagio" but it's really nice!"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2017 at 8:10 AM, Homestar said:

Has anyone ops checked Alamo Corporate Housing lately (ref: a few pages back) for furnished apartments? Anyone used Airbnb in the area with success?

Data's a little old, but... I used Alamo from April 15 - Aug 15 and was happy with them. Overall, their service was awesome and they were very responsive. Pricing worked out to just slightly over the authorized gov't rate (like +$5), for a fully furnished 1BD apartment. I took my wife and pets, so this was a better choice for us than the pit pad options out there. Our apartment was in the Chelsea Place complex, ~10 min drive to RND. I'd recommend them/use them again if the pricing worked out.

On 5/9/2017 at 6:10 AM, Homestar said:

Has anyone ops checked Alamo Corporate Housing lately (ref: a few pages back) for furnished apartments? Anyone used Airbnb in the area with success?

I'd be careful with airbnb type of lodging- my base rejected voucher because they said airbnb isn't allowed (even after all the confusion and big outrage on JQP). 

But nowhere on JTR does it mention any of that...

• 3 months later...

I know some of these topics have been kicked around before so I apologize in advance.

I'm coming off a remote where my family was non-csp with me and I'm headed to Randolph PIT enroute to my next base.  Ideally, I'd like to bring them with me for some of the time and I'm looking at trying to stay off base in a furnished apartment, or potentially try to get a TLF.  I know all the drama a few months back with big blue trying to force us to stay on base and it seems that was squashed.  Does anyone know if the wg/cc there has a specific policy directing students to stay on base?  Ideally, I'd like to just show up and never even visit the lodging office.

Also, any good recommendations for furnished apartments (not PIT pads)?  Are TLFs even worth trying to get?

Thanks

My discussion with the lodging manager  about a TLF revolved around me and my three kids and dog in a one bedroom, and something about signing a liability waiver for the lead based paint (I had a two year old).  

Nope.