Information on PIT (Pilot Instructor Training)

Guest lukeabledsoe

What's the last "+2" in a 2+2+2?

-9-

It is possible to do a 2 year tour at a UPT base, a 2 year tour at PIT and then another 2 year tour at yet another UPT base.

That's 6 years in AETC and not advised....but, it is doable.

Edited by C-21.Pilot

• 3 months later...

You don't even have to have previously flown T-6s to teach them at PIT. You just have to be a former AETC IP. There are T-6 IPs at Randolph that are qualified because they flew instructed in Herks at the schoolhouse. A little ridiculous if you ask me, but they didn't.

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

How does one pursue a PIT IP tour? I'm a former T-6 FAIP, and would love to get go teach at PIT. Is this something that dudes need to contact the 559th for and visit? Or just work through my AFPC functional? 

Your functional will have the billets.

Edited by LookieRookie

8 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

How does one pursue a PIT IP tour? I'm a former T-6 FAIP, and would love to get go teach at PIT. Is this something that dudes need to contact the 559th for and visit? Or just work through my AFPC functional? 

Put it on the top of your ADP and hope for the best.

• 1 month later...

Just got word (no RIP or orders yet) from the Sq/CC that we'll be heading to Laughlin to instruct T-38's.  Anybody there now that could help me out with the local area brief?  Specifically wondering where I should start looking regarding a place to live.  I do boat and fish offshore so I'll be taking our center console to fish out of Port Aransas so I'm thinking a lakefront place might be nice.

Cheers

8 hours ago, Standby said:

Just got word (no RIP or orders yet) from the Sq/CC that we'll be heading to Laughlin to instruct T-38's.  Anybody there now that could help me out with the local area brief?  Specifically wondering where I should start looking regarding a place to live.  I do boat and fish offshore so I'll be taking our center console to fish out of Port Aransas so I'm thinking a lakefront place might be nice.

Cheers

Congrats! I just left there and loved it. I know I'm an anomaly. It's close to home for me (New Braunfels), the lake is awesome, and there is pretty good hunting all around.  As far as places to live on the lake with direct access there are two fishing communities on the north side; Box Canyon and Amistad Acres.  They are also close to some public dove hunting areas.  These are a bit of a drive but the fishing, in my opinion, is better in that area.  There's subdivisions closer to town and on the lake but they use public ramps and are usually a bit pricey.  If you live in town I recommend the Reservation (all roads off of Arrowhead Tr.).  

Warning though, re-sale of the houses on the north side may be difficult.  You have to find someone that has the same desires as you.  Not always easy, most people are fine with cramping themselves into a tiny home on the base and suffering through 3-4 years in Del Rio.

The commute to the base from anywhere by the lake and the north side of town is easy now with the loop.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

BTW, I would take my center console to Sargent and Galveston's West Bay often.  Pretty easy drive.  Never took it to Port A.  Will be there this July though for a tournament though.

5 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Congrats!...Never took it to Port A.  Will be there this July though for a tournament though.

Thanks for the insight!  The wife talked about getting a tiny home when Clovis was on the table but we have too much shit and our "storage" unit would end up being the size of an average condo so we'll probably bypass base housing.  Not to mention I don't want to play their stupid games.  Are there any areas of the city/town that we should definitely avoid?  Is there any kind of bar scene or do most people throw house parties?

8 hours ago, Standby said:

...Are there any areas of the city/town that we should definitely avoid?  Is there any kind of bar scene or do most people throw house parties?

If you are in town stick to the neighborhoods around the lake or what everyone affectionately calls the "Reservation." There are some newer/larger homes just north of the Res in Ceniza Hills (where we lived). Houses up there can get a bit pricey but they are nice and typically sit on a large lot. I loved the community, but you'll recognize the places you don't want to live fairly easily.  There's nothing out by the base unless you're a FAIP or a student.

I can't really speak to the bar scene, spent most of my time with my 2 lil kiddos, but Doc Holiday's is about it from what I understand. Lots of house parties and base functions.  Graduation and drop every three weeks!

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Hello fellas,
Can't find the answer to this question anywhere online:
Did all T-38 IPs at UPT learn the T-38 in UPT? Can a B-1 pilot who went through T-1s pursue an assignment to teach T-38s at UPT?

Unless something has changed, yes and no.

23 hours ago, fishandchips said:

Hello fellas,

Can't find the answer to this question anywhere online:

Did all T-38 IPs at UPT learn the T-38 in UPT? Can a B-1 pilot who went through T-1s pursue an assignment to teach T-38s at UPT?

FWIW, there is a syllabus that fits your description. The T-38 TX syllabus has a track for MAF dudes that flew T-1s in UPT and have a T-38 PIT class follow on.

Edit: I know your a CAF bubba but it was written assuming T-1=MAF.

Edited by LookieRookie

On 3/13/2017 at 2:03 PM, Standby said:

Cheers

Hey man, I'm a -38 IP at DLF currently. Feel free to PM any specific questions or I'd be happy to email you. Been here just over 3 yrs so I have some decent insight about the flying, base, schools and the town. Congrats, my family and I really like it here. The squadron is awesome!