AFSC questions

Guest NSFW

Guest Dirt Beater

I read some stuff on weapons school the other day and the term "w prefix" kept coming up. I know it probably has something to do with your AFSC, but what does it physically mean? Example: F-16 - W11F3H?

[ 16. November 2004, 23:21: Message edited by: Dirt Beater ]

W prefix denotes that you are a graduate of the USAF Weapons School. After graduation new patch wearers are supposed to go to approved W-code billets to complete their payback requirements. W code billets are also supposed to be scrubbed and approved by AFPC. Just another tool for the man to keep me down...

• 2 years later...

I know a T prefix is instructor, Q prefix is an Evaluator. What's a K prefix? And does anybody have a link that breaks down the components of an AFSC and/or an AFSC list? I've looked through AFPC, but I get "Access Denied" to the FAQs subjects that seem relevant.

MPF has completely jacked up my information in the past six months (unbelievable, I know). My OPR data, overseas data, tour dates, and AFSC info are all wrong. I know the AFSC is incorrect, but I need to find out what it should be.

Also, if you transition to a different model of the same airframe, should your duty AFSC change?

Normally I'd ask MPF, but they've already proved themselves incompetent.

I know a T prefix is instructor, Q prefix is an Evaluator. What's a K prefix? And does anybody have a link that breaks down the components of an AFSC and/or an AFSC list? I've looked through AFPC, but I get "Access Denied" to the FAQs subjects that seem relevant.

MPF has completely jacked up my information in the past six months (unbelievable, I know). My OPR data, overseas data, tour dates, and AFSC info are all wrong. I know the AFSC is incorrect, but I need to find out what it should be.

Also, if you transition to a different model of the same airframe, should your duty AFSC change?

Normally I'd ask MPF, but they've already proved themselves incompetent.

The prefix 'K' also means instructor...at least in AMC...I figured it was the same across all commands? --- Actually, after reading through some of the explanations, it looks like the prefix could be different based on command.

Try this link http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/medi.../afi36-2101.pdf

The table that breaks down Officer AFSCs starts on page 74.

--------

Edit: Try the link below. It actually has a list of what each prefix is for. (T = formal training instructor; K = instructor)

http://fromtheinside.us/docs/afman36-2105.pdf

Great find on those two links C17Driver.

Concur - that's exactly what I needed. Turns out K is a regular instructor and T is a formal training (FTU) instructor. It also answered my second question - certain models within the same airframe do have different AFSCs.

Guest rotorhead

You got it...36-2105 is the bible...

A Pave Hawk IP in the field unit is a K11H3E...when he checks out as a Kirtland IP, he becomes a T11H3E.

When the board member scans your SURF, they look for progression of final number, and progression of prefix

11H2E

11H3E

K11H3E

W11H3E

B11H3E

C11H3E

*dons old Personnel hat*

I'll use C-130 pilot's AFSC (but it works for all rated Officers).

11M2B - Copilot

11M3B - Aircraft Commander

K11M3B - Instructor

Q11M3B - Evaluator

T11M3B - FTU Instructor/Formal AETC Instructor

W11M3B - Weapons Officer (WIC Graduate)

B11M3B - Operations Officer (DO)

C11M3B - Commander

There are actually more, but those are the primary ones you'll find in a flying squadron.

You can hold more than one prefixes, and some prefixes trump other ones. In my last squadron we had a pilot who was a WIC graduate (W11M3B) but he was also an Evaluator (Q11M3B). His primary AFSC (and you can hold up to three) will always be W11M3B because it out trumps and holds more precedence than a Q11M3B. The Evaluator AFSC was made his secondary, so by pulling his SURF you would see both of his AFSC's on there. Having more than one AFSC does help for instance because some Sq/CC's and DO's are only line guys, not Instructors or Evaluators.

• 1 year later...

Is anybody familiar with the requirements for a secondary AFSC? Commandant's office is completing the AF Form 2096 but isn't sure I qualify. AFI 36-2101 is about as clear as mud.

I've been TDY for 200+ days performing 16G4 (staff officer) duties at a COCOM HQ. Can I add 16G4 as a secondary AFSC? Do I want to add this as a secondary AFSC?

Edited by SPO

I've yet to see any impact at all on anyone's job prospects, career progression, promotions, assignments out of a secondary AFSC.

If you are going for a job that requires a specific AFSC that you used to have at some point in your career, they will be able to see it on your duty history even if it's not up at the top of your SURF/DVB/etc.

I've yet to see any impact at all on anyone's job prospects, career progression, promotions, assignments out of a secondary AFSC.

If you are going for a job that requires a specific AFSC that you used to have at some point in your career, they will be able to see it on your duty history even if it's not up at the top of your SURF/DVB/etc.

Hacker's right, it doesn't do anything for your career, etc. In fact, it may highlight you down the road for a job you don't want. The duty titles reflected in your OPR's, training reports, etc. are a different story...

A little different spin:

having a secondary AFSC on my SURF scored me the foot in the door for an AFRC AGR billet. They didn't look at OPRs, etc until after I made the initial cut.

Depending on what your goals are, the secondary AFSC is not a bad thing.

16G will identify you as an experienced staff weenie. Careful what you wish for...

Thanks for the advice fellas. All good points.

Assuming I wanted to put it on there anyways, how long do I have to be slated a 16G before the AF will recognize it as a secondary AFSC? Six months, a year? I can't find this info anywhere in the AFI.

Thanks for the advice fellas. All good points.

Assuming I wanted to put it on there anyways, how long do I have to be slated a 16G before the AF will recognize it as a secondary AFSC? Six months, a year? I can't find this info anywhere in the AFI.

I don't think you can do it for a TDY.

Having your Sq/CC sign a 2096 and then sending it to the Employment office at the MPF will update/award the AFSC to you.

Well in that case we should all march in to the CC's office with a 2096 and demand a secondary AFSC of 33S...since we all do that work now anyway. (And encourage him/her to do the same!)

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0105/38_CareerField.pdf

Can I add 16G4 as a secondary AFSC?

Is 16G a "real" AFSC? Isn't just "general staff"--i.e., any AFSC can fill it? If so, than having it as a secondary won't mean a thing (i.e., even "less of a thing" than others have pointed out--correctly, IMO--a secondary AFSC means to begin with).

Analogy: I was an 11G in my staff job ("general pilot"--any 11x can fill it). There's no point to me getting a secondary AFSC for something that I would be eligible for no matter what my AFSC (11x) is or what AFSCs are listed on my SURF....

• 2 months later...
Anybody know what the duty afsc is during the period after UPT graduation and then as an IFF student?

Same as UPT - student pilot. 92TO if it's the same as it was ten years ago.

Same as UPT - student pilot. 92TO if it's the same as it was ten years ago.

You sure about this? I seem to remember 11F...something or other. Maybe it was because I was a FAIP.

92T0 is a student pilot. Pilots in IFF are now rated. I may be wrong. It's also like 3 am and I'm a little drunk.

You sure about this? I seem to remember 11F...something or other. Maybe it was because I was a FAIP.

I'm positive - just double checked my records. I was a FAIP also - my AFSC went from 92T0 (T-38 student) to T11K3D (T-38 IP), then back to 92T0 as an IFF stud.

92T0 is a student pilot. Pilots in IFF are now rated.

Correct, but you're not yet a fighter pilot (11F) and you're no longer a T-38 pilot (11K), so you are back to being a student pilot. I merged this thread with a previous thread on AFSCs - reference the link from C-17driver to AFMAN 36-2105. Page 14 and 15 list out the 11-prefixes and 39 lists 92T0 as a pilot trainee.

I know a T prefix is instructor, Q prefix is an Evaluator. What's a K prefix?

It's the same on the missile side for the instructor billets. Once someone gets a "K/Q/T" prefix, does it stay with you on the aviation side for the rest of your career?