CSO timeline for civ

I have heard some mixed comments from people regarding to UCT and timelines for those that are picked up for Guard units. What’s the timeline typically for a CSO joining as a civilian assuming they start TFOT in September.

I have heard 1.5 to 2 years and here is the breakdown I was given let me know if this is accurate.

2 months TFOT, 1 month IFS, 1 month SERE, 12 months UCT, 6 months specialized training, and 3 months seasoning 

Sounds about right? 

How often is are there “gaps” like is someone going to wait months and months for any follow on training?

UCT isn’t a year. Depending on the airframe it can be 185 days or 285 days. Same goes for the FTU. You will have to go to the chamber and water survival before heading to UCT which is something like 4 days each (don’t know exactly). For Guard you will do that from home station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2021 at 11:34 PM, Bode said:

UCT isn’t a year. Depending on the airframe it can be 185 days or 285 days. 

I don’t think I have ever heard 185 or 285 days, is this something new or has it always been the case? Unless the “ about 12 months” people refer to is lumping all the flying related training, I.e. IFS(1 month) +UCT(9 months)+FTU (3 months)= 13 months, not sure.

for a slick c-130 what is the breakdown? 

On 4/25/2021 at 11:34 PM, Bode said:

You will have to go to the chamber and water survival before heading to UCT which is something like 4 days each (don’t know exactly). For Guard you will do that from home station

So SERE is done at the home base, not Washington State?

30 minutes ago, JKA360 said:

I don’t think I have ever heard 185 or 285 days, is this something new or has it always been the case? Unless the “ about 12 months” people refer to is lumping all the flying related training, I.e. IFS(1 month) +UCT(9 months)+FTU (3 months)= 13 months, not sure.

for a slick c-130 what is the breakdown? 

So SERE is done at the home base, not Washington State?

Water survival is not SERE. Still done at Fairchild. The Navy has an altitude chamber at Pensacola, but it's been 15 years since I went through the training, so I don't know if the Air Force still uses the Navy one or if they send you somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

For a nav you will be about 185 days. The actual training length is slightly less but you have about a week on either end to in/out-process. Chamber will be coordinated by your home station before you come. Expect C-Springs for the chamber, the Navy decommissioned theirs a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

So by the sound of it, Looking at 

• About 2 months TFOT at Maxwell
  • 1 month IFS at Doss
  • 6 months UCT in PCola
  • 6 months FTU at Little Rock
  • about 1 week of land and water survival each (is this similar to SERE but more tailored for Navs?)
  • Finally 3 months seasoning at home base

so it’s closer to 1.5 years of total training from start to finish?

53 minutes ago, JKA360 said:

So by the sound of it, Looking at 

• About 2 months TFOT at Maxwell
  • 1 month IFS at Doss
  • 6 months UCT in PCola
  • 6 months FTU at Little Rock
  • about 1 week of land and water survival each (is this similar to SERE but more tailored for Navs?)
  • Finally 3 months seasoning at home base

so it’s closer to 1.5 years of total training from start to finish?

SERE is about 3 weeks. It's not tailored for navs. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the party but expect SERE to be a bit shorter than the 3 weeks it used to be.  

https://www.airforcemag.com/air-force-formalizes-new-approach-to-sere-training/

Went through in August myself after finishing up UCT and was only there for 12 days, 15 days if you do it in conjunction with water survival.  Also if it helps, UCT for the Navs in my class lasted from beginning of August to April of the next year so expect closer to 8-9 months versus 6 months. 

• 2 months later...