Civilian Job

How many of you went back to your civilian jobs (prior to UPT) after completing seasoning?

As a current ANG enlisted member, I have a stable corporate job that offers 3 weeks of military leave every year that refreshes on January 1st. Would it be unethical to ask my HR department to utilize it and get paid for 3 weeks every year during the duration of my entire 3 year-ish absence?

Note:

I am currently waiting for TFOT and UPT dates (should be coming up soon since it’s been almost 2 years since I got hired) but am having severe “senioritis” symptoms at my current job..

Thank you for your responses in advance!

Right in the middle of heading back to my civilian job now. I always planned on going back, so maybe a little different than your situation, but you can always look at it as...what if you need that job for some reason? 

Who knows what the world situation will be when you pop out at the end of the pipeline? Your unit may not have orders to keep you going as long as you plan; the airlines might not be hiring; you might find yourself without a viable option for a another civilian job; or (not trying to put the evil on you, Ricky Bobby, but gotta give a legit look at everything) you might just not make it through UPT, so you might need to go back to the civilian world.

Hell, even if all goes well, there can be some serious breaks in the ANG pilot training pipeline, from my understanding, and it can vary by unit whether they keep you paid/insured and on orders during them. You might find yourself waiting for a few months between OTS and UPT or UPT and PIQ to where you might need to have a civilian gig to keep a roof over your head and yourself fed.

So, why leave your USERRA protected job in the dust when there’s at least a (hopefully small) chance you’ll have to go back to it? The fact they pay you Mil leave is a nice positive kicker, but I’d honestly hang onto the gig more so because the world is uncertain and, whether you love your job or not, it is one you can have legally held for you while you journey through the pipeline. 

• Like 1

Right in the middle of heading back to my civilian job now. I always planned on going back, so maybe a little different than your situation, but you can always look at it as...what if you need that job for some reason? 
Who knows what the world situation will be when you pop out at the end of the pipeline? Your unit may not have orders to keep you going as long as you plan; the airlines might not be hiring; you might find yourself without a viable option for a another civilian job; or (not trying to put the evil on you, Ricky Bobby, but gotta give a legit look at everything) you might just not make it through UPT, so you might need to go back to the civilian world.
Hell, even if all goes well, there can be some serious breaks in the ANG pilot training pipeline, from my understanding, and it can vary by unit whether they keep you paid/insured and on orders during them. You might find yourself waiting for a few months between OTS and UPT or UPT and PIQ to where you might need to have a civilian gig to keep a roof over your head and yourself fed.
So, why leave your USERRA protected job in the dust when there’s at least a (hopefully small) chance you’ll have to go back to it? The fact they pay you Mil leave is a nice positive kicker, but I’d honestly hang onto the gig more so because the world is uncertain and, whether you love your job or not, it is one you can have legally held for you while you journey through the pipeline. 

Wow, thank you for your insight! Absolutely, anything can happen, good or bad, and it would be smart to put myself in the best position possible.

On 4/18/2021 at 1:52 AM, tlaw99 said:

How many of you went back to your civilian jobs (prior to UPT) after completing seasoning?

As a current ANG enlisted member, I have a stable corporate job that offers 3 weeks of military leave every year that refreshes on January 1st. Would it be unethical to ask my HR department to utilize it and get paid for 3 weeks every year during the duration of my entire 3 year-ish absence?

Note:

I am currently waiting for TFOT and UPT dates (should be coming up soon since it’s been almost 2 years since I got hired) but am having severe “senioritis” symptoms at my current job..

Thank you for your responses in advance!

If they offer it and you're abiding by your employer's policy, I wouldn't think it would be unethical to use it every year. That's why they made it a thing. Add onto that you work for a corporation and not a small-business, and it makes the answer even more clear. Assure your supervisor/administrative people you enjoy working with them and wish to continue your career there once seasoning is over and that would help a lot.