Captain passed over for Major, looking for advice.

droptime

On 6/18/2023 at 4:12 PM, illusive said:

Congrats, glad it worked out so well for you

Any retribution for doing this from leadership?  Did they find out about the first letter since you need to be twice non selected?

Were they aware this was a rule or did you have to fight for it with AFPC?  My big fear is they would just ignore me.

No retribution at all. My commander was completely on board and supported me the whole time. No one attempted to talk me into staying. Not one person said anything negative. A few people that got picked up for major in my group were mad they didn't do the same, especially when I separated a month or so after they pinned on.

My commander also told me that when he was at a meeting with the wing commander before the second board's results came out for those already passed over, a lot of other commanders were saying that their guys were going to off themselves if they didn't make it. My commander said to the group that "his guy" (me) was going to throw a f-ing party.

There is no fight with AFPC. It is a federal law. Twice passed over officers must be separated (if they do not elect to continue) within six months of notification of 2nd non-selection. No one in the Air Force has the power to stop that.

I highly recommend anyone thinking of getting out gets passed over twice and saves more than a year of their life.

Edited by RedEye1911
  • Upvote 3