Guard RC-26 to Fighters (hypothetical)

First some background; I've been applying to almost every fighter board since 12/19, with no interviews, no feedback, no nothing.  Fighters is the dream, specifically in the Great Lakes area (with the 115th being my "dream unit), but I'll go anywhere if hired.  I saw the 115th posted a UPT board on their RC-26's, and I'm considering applying.  Hypothetically, if I was hired there, would it be possible to prove myself as a pilot in the unit, and then possibly transition to the fighter side, or would I be locked it?  Should I apply, or pass on this and keep pushing fighters?  

Abridged credentials: age 24, PCSM 94, Pilot 99, Nav 99 (rest of the scores are eh), BS with 3.84 GPA, ~3,000 hours with an ATP/CFI/CFII

Thanks.

Edit:  thank you all for your input.  At this point, I’ll pass and keep pushing fighters.  Good luck to those who submit an app.

Edited by ecc97
Added info, decision

Every Guard/Reserve flight board in general since 12/19 or every Fighter board? All those great scores and flight time and not even an interview anywhere? Is there something you aren't telling us?

At this point, just apply everywhere...if you haven't actually been doing so already. In 10 years will you be content working in an office or regional cockpit knowing you could have served as an RC-26 pilot busting the El Chapo's of the world? 

16 minutes ago, CavGuy said:

Every Guard/Reserve flight board in general since 12/19 or every Fighter board? All those great scores and flight time and not even an interview anywhere? Is there something you aren't telling us?

At this point, just apply everywhere...if you haven't actually been doing so already. In 10 years will you be content working in an office or regional cockpit knowing you could have served as an RC-26 pilot busting the El Chapo's of the world? 

Oops, I’ll fix the typo, it’s fighter, not flight.

I haven’t even gotten feedback from boards, even though I asked.  COVID has prevented me from rushing, and I finished the degree in December, no skeletons in the closet per se (my post history has a better resume in a what are my chances thread).  Also, everything has been reviewed by the guys at bogi dope.  

11 hours ago, ecc97 said:

First some background; I've been applying to almost every fighter board since 12/19, with no interviews, no feedback, no nothing.  Fighters is the dream, specifically in the Great Lakes area (with the 115th being my "dream unit), but I'll go anywhere if hired.  I saw the 115th posted a UPT board on their RC-26's, and I'm considering applying.  Hypothetically, if I was hired there, would it be possible to prove myself as a pilot in the unit, and then possibly transition to the fighter side, or would I be locked it?  Should I apply, or pass on this and keep pushing fighters?  

Abridged credentials: age 24, PCSM 94, Pilot 99, Nav 99 (rest of the scores are eh), BS with 3.84 GPA, ~3,000 hours with an ATP/CFI/CFII

Thanks.

I interviewed at the 115th’s last board (176th fighter squadron F-16 unit) and one of the RC-26 pilots was interviewing with them and he got picked up. So yes definitely possible. Best of luck!

Edited by Terminator5
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stoker said:

I assume if you went RC-26 you'd track T-1s in UPT. If that's the case I think you'd have an incredibly uphill battle to ever make it to a fighter.

Correct. I think the guard is allocated 1 maybe 2 T38 tx courses each year. I’m guessing the 115th got one of those lucky slots last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RPApilotSelectMSgt said:

if you apply and get the RC-26 position, by the time you are done with school, those aircraft will no longer exist in the ANG. but at that point you can get picked up at another unit and continue to train in another Aircraft

Mind if I ask where you’re reading/hearing that? Not questioning the veracity of your intel, but genuinely curious.

• 8 months later...

Why does the Air Force not have more TX fighter slots? I feel like it would be less of a risk to take an already qualified pilot who could have gone fighters, but chose heavies and put them through a TX course than it would be to hire a UPT guy off the street. No offense to UPT hires but a rated pilot already knows how to fly the Air Force way…I’m just thinking if there is a fighter pilot shortage this could be a solution to it. Thoughts? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

Why does the Air Force not have more TX fighter slots? I feel like it would be less of a risk to take an already qualified pilot who could have gone fighters, but chose heavies and put them through a TX course than it would be to hire a UPT guy off the street. No offense to UPT hires but a rated pilot already knows how to fly the Air Force way…I’m just thinking if there is a fighter pilot shortage this could be a solution to it. Thoughts? 

Certainly seems like it would cut the time required.

• Upvote 1

Because training is expensive. Your idea means sending someone back through -38s, then IFF, then B course, to get an older FNG at the expense of the community who just lost an IP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Because training is expensive. Your idea means sending someone back through -38s, then IFF, then B course, to get an older FNG at the expense of the community who just lost an IP.

Why back through 38s? Why not an accelerated 38 course during IFF?

As for older FNG... doesn't seem much different from getting a FAIP or late-to-rate guy. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve heard rumors about how they are trying to experiment with getting fighter qual’d straight out of the T-6 and skipping 38s. There was an article out about it a few months ago…here’s the link

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41789/the-truth-about-the-air-forces-biggest-changes-to-pilot-training-since-the-dawn-of-the-jet-age

Edited by Rated Flyer 4 Life

I’ve heard rumors about how they are trying to experiment with getting fighter qual’d straight out of the T-6 and skipping 38s. There was an article out about it a few months ago…here’s the link
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41789/the-truth-about-the-air-forces-biggest-changes-to-pilot-training-since-the-dawn-of-the-jet-age

Yeah, not being implemented as of now. Hopefully Wills moves on to a new job before he does any more damage than he’s already done.

This still has nothing to do with your suggestion.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

Based on recent mishaps, do we really want to abridge the already abridged course?

Are fighters really so unique that a T-1 grad couldn't learn to fly one? 

I just think that the Air Force could potentially retain more rated pilots if they were to allow cross flow programs into other airframes throughout a career. It would keep pilots doing what we love, without being in a desk job, and add more flexibility to the overall force. It probably could retain more people who normally would just bounce to the airlines if it meant that they could try to fly their dream plane and/or have a new experience in their Air Force career. 

I understand it’s expensive, but based on the current manning, it seems that some communities (mobility) are over staffed while others (fighters) are short. So in order to keep us ready for future threats and possibly retain more pilots, I think it would be good to allow pilots the option to gain experience in another MDS at least once in their career.

Isn’t flexibility the key to air power? 

Guest PeggyDriver46
7 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

I understand it’s expensive, but based on the current manning, it seems that some communities (mobility) are over staffed while others (fighters) are short.

11M here. I was just denied a functional release because of manning...so doubt it. 

13 hours ago, Rated Flyer 4 Life said:

I think it would be good to allow pilots the option to gain experience in another MDS at least once in their career.

Brutally honest answer at the end of the day: while there are certainly great MAF guys who could do well in fighters, many probably wouldn’t be very value adding, especially later in their career (and that’s if they even make it through the pipeline). The basic flying stuff that translates to fighters is about 5% of the job. It’s the other 95% that’s the big hurdle. The young guy straight out of the pipeline from the start will generally provide more long term value. I’m sure that’ll piss some egos off, but reality hurts some times. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, CaptainMorgan said:

Yeah, not being implemented as of now. Hopefully Wills moves on to a new job before he does any more damage than he’s already done.

That dude has single-handedly wrecked the trajectory of UPT for the next generation. Don’t know how he sleeps at night.