Physical Health Assessment (PHA)

YankShank

I've passed my flight physical, but I see once one arrives at your UPT base you have to go through a few more medical exams before you're officially medically qualified. I see the list as "Audiogram, Optical, PHA, and Dental". 

Is this experience pretty similar to getting your initial flight physical done all over again, or more like a typical check-up with your doctor? I'm not a huge fan of things completely out of my control, so some more information on this process is appreciated. It's been a while since I had my flight physical so hopefully I'm still able to pass all those tests the same.

4 hours ago, YankShank said:

I've passed my flight physical, but I see once one arrives at your UPT base you have to go through a few more medical exams before you're officially medically qualified. I see the list as "Audiogram, Optical, PHA, and Dental". 

Is this experience pretty similar to getting your initial flight physical done all over again, or more like a typical check-up with your doctor? I'm not a huge fan of things completely out of my control, so some more information on this process is appreciated. It's been a while since I had my flight physical so hopefully I'm still able to pass all those tests the same.

It's basically the annual physical.  The initial flight physical is much more in-depth.  You'll be in and out in about 30 minutes, give or take.

• Upvote 1

Near vision chart, distance vision chart, the depth perception chart (5 rings, which one pops out?), the one where you have to tell what kind the dotted line goes through, and color vision.

Not the full set of stuff from FC1, but several tests. If you wear contacts, you also have to bring your glasses for some of the tests.

ETA: I don't think color vision is every year, but not 100% sure

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Color vision should be one and done at the FC I.  But you should get the wonderful puff of air in the eye to make up for it.

I've definitely done color vision every year.