Good Scores... But Old(er)

MoonShot

After some inspirational reading from @FDNYOldGuy and the fact that my desire to both fly and serve grows larger each day I ended up knocking out the AFOQT/TBAS and graduate from lurker status to member here. This is an incredible site but I wanted to make sure I was even in the ballpark of qualified before filling up another "old guy" thread as I am 34. 

PCSM: 99

AFOQT: 99/93/86/92/70

PPL w/ Instrument: 250 hours

GPA: 3.43 in Finance

FAA First Class Medical. Good physical shape.

I am currently a VP in sales/development for a medical device company. I'm hoping that background proves I am capable of taking on work and leading teams. 

My goal would be to fly any heavy and not picky on region.  The Texas units make sense seeing as how I was born and raised here but I would welcome the adventure of a move. 

A few years ago I would have thought I had shot but now with Covid, the training backlog, and flood of applications I'm wondering if the old guy status will even be viable?

I sincerely appreciate any input or recommendations anyone would have. Its cool to see such a collection of successful people in one spot and know I have a lot to learn. 

Thanks for reading. 

30-Year-Old chiming in. I feel like I got lucky. I got selected at the tail end of 2020 in November. The process has gotten harder since last year because of Covid like you said. Also, the Guard/Reserves are no longer a secret so the number of applicants has increased in general. On paper, you're a solid applicant minus the age. Best advice I can give you is that if you REALLY want this, you need to go out there and get it. Start putting in as much effort as you can now. Go visit the squadrons you're interested in. Talk to pilots, make connections, put in the leg work, etc. Get your name out there. Vaccines are out, more are on the way. People will start flying again, airlines will start hiring again. When that time comes you want units to know who you are and have shown interest so they are more willing to work with you for that waiver you'll need. It's unfortunate timing, and honestly, be prepared for the possibility that it might not happen. But don't self-eliminate yourself right out of the gate. Like you said, in the height of the airline hiring, older candidates were selected. That time will come again, and now is the best time for you to start laying that foundation. It's up to you, though, how long you decide to pursue it.

Take all my advice with a grain of salt, given that I'm a non-prior recent off-the-street hire with no military background. But I've pursued my slot for two years before getting hired and, in general, that's the most common advice you'll get. 

9 hours ago, Metalhead731 said:

30-Year-Old chiming in. I feel like I got lucky. I got selected at the tail end of 2020 in November. The process has gotten harder since last year because of Covid like you said. Also, the Guard/Reserves are no longer a secret so the number of applicants has increased in general. On paper, you're a solid applicant minus the age. Best advice I can give you is that if you REALLY want this, you need to go out there and get it. Start putting in as much effort as you can now. Go visit the squadrons you're interested in. Talk to pilots, make connections, put in the leg work, etc. Get your name out there. Vaccines are out, more are on the way. People will start flying again, airlines will start hiring again. When that time comes you want units to know who you are and have shown interest so they are more willing to work with you for that waiver you'll need. It's unfortunate timing, and honestly, be prepared for the possibility that it might not happen. But don't self-eliminate yourself right out of the gate. Like you said, in the height of the airline hiring, older candidates were selected. That time will come again, and now is the best time for you to start laying that foundation. It's up to you, though, how long you decide to pursue it.

Take all my advice with a grain of salt, given that I'm a non-prior recent off-the-street hire with no military background. But I've pursued my slot for two years before getting hired and, in general, that's the most common advice you'll get. 

Much appreciated and congratulations on getting picked up! I just got my scores in this week and have already got most of a general application complete. Definitely on the front end of the hustle. Hoping to get MEPS done ASAP.

Were you finding that there were units still taking in-person meetings? The few I have talked with recently are still pretty cautious and only doing group Zooms.

2 minutes ago, MoonShot said:

Were you finding that there were units still taking in-person meetings? 

Yeah, unfortunately that's the state of things at the moment. Not many units are doing in-person visits. That much is out of your hands for now. Do what you can and attend all the zoom invites you are offered. That will show interest.

• Upvote 1

Haha. Well, hope my ramblings were of some help. Your scores are awesome (far better than mine were), you’ve got a solid background (pilots love talking finance...seriously), and you seem like you’ve got a great attitude. You’re also only a year past the age cutoff (maybe 2, by the time you start UPT), so it’s not a crazy amount of time. 

Your biggest hurdles are, as @Metalhead731 said, timing, competition, and COVID. I lucked out and hit a window where they really needed pilots and fewer were applying. But, now that’s changed and, unfortunately, units (and Reserves/Guard UPT boards) have gotten extremely picky. But, as was said, if you put your effort into it, there’s always a chance.

Bottom line is that no one wants a “problem” without a solution. Not that you personally are one, but hiring someone older presents extra work and questions. So, it’s your job to try to get ahead of things and provide as much help with or solutions to those problems to ease the reluctance. 

Make sure you’ve got a solid packet put together and really sell your age as a pro over a potential con. Try to get ahead on any paperwork needed. See if you can knock out MEPS or an FC1 (extremely hard, these days, but you never know). Network and talk to as many people as you can. You never know who might help along the way. 

Little is impossible with hard work. I don’t mean to sound like a coach, but it’s true. You can hustle and make it an easy choice for the roadblocks and bumps you might encounter by trying to smooth the road as much as possible. 

Good luck! It’s certainly not an impossible, or easy, journey, but it’s really an amazing one. Still can’t believe I get to do it, honestly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FDNYOldGuy said:

See if you can knock out MEPS or an FC1 (extremely hard, these days, but you never know). Network and talk to as many people as you can. You never know who might help along the way. 

Can anyone technically go to MEPS or get an FC1 without having already been hired or having some type of commitment? I was under the impression that you had to sign on the dotted line somewhere prior to these getting stamped.

5 hours ago, NABO said:

Can anyone technically go to MEPS or get an FC1 without having already been hired or having some type of commitment? I was under the impression that you had to sign on the dotted line somewhere prior to these getting stamped.

Pretty much what @Kiloalpha said. This is where things get a little sticky, from what I’ve been told. You can get a Reserves recruiter to schedule you for MEPS, BUT that then means the Reserves own your file. If you go to a Guard unit, there’s paperwork that has to be run through the wickets to get your already completed MEPS packet released to the Guard. Again, not 100% sure about this, but it’s what I was told when I was looking at both.

As for FC1, it sounds as though it’s nearly impossible to get one before getting hired now. It wasn’t impossible in the past, but, as Bob Dylan said, “times they are a changin.” The hiring slowdown, COVID, and limited scheduling have shifted things drastically. 

• Upvote 1

I also wouldn't hold off shuttling off apps if MEPS is the only thing you dont have done. It's not a requirement on most of the applications I've seen or done. But I haven't applied anywhere in 2 years.....so what do I know. MEPS will help them know you dont have any issues, but if you have everything else, get those bad boys flying and use all the time you can.  

• Upvote 1

I was pursuing the AD route when I got picked up by ANG unit. I already had my MEPS done through AD because they require it to be done before any recruiter will submit you for a rated board. So if you wanted to game the system and reach out to an AD recruiter and start that packet then that is the only way to get MEPS done before being selected. Your choice if you want to spend that time doing that. My personal opinion spend your time and resources making connections with the units and if one likes you enough and wants to entertain the age waiver not sure if MEPS complete or not would tip the scale one way or the other at that point, but the choice is yours. Best of luck!

• Upvote 1

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and support.  Now that I've got my package complete its time to start knocking on doors! And, MEPS if possible. I'm certainly in the understanding that this will not be easy but that doesn't phase the intention.  Please bear with me as I'm sure I'll be back with hundreds of questions...

• 2 months later...
Not a pilot, but if I had to take a stab at it, I would say this. Your scores are good but:

Why should this unit take on an O3 that they don’t know?

Why should we hire you(nothing personal) over an off the street the dude we can groom, or commission one of our own guys that we’ve worked with for years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you stay at a holiday inn express last night?

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, there is definitely a chance. I was hired at 30 with 1 manned aviation hour to my dream heavy squadron. I am 32 about to be 33, about to finish UPT with a job at my dream fighter squadron. Everyone will tell you it’s not possible until you actually do it. It’s rare but if you are persistent it can happen.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:57 PM, wannabe88 said:

Dude, there is definitely a chance. I was hired at 30 with 1 manned aviation hour to my dream heavy squadron. I am 32 about to be 33, about to finish UPT with a job at my dream fighter squadron. Everyone will tell you it’s not possible until you actually do it. It’s rare but if you are persistent it can happen.

Thats a great anecdote, but statistics dont lie and its no longer 2017-18. It could be helpful though, if youd be willing to share some more info about your story.

Howd you go from being hired by a heavy unit to a fighter unit? What were your AFOQT scores like? Howd you get interviewed at heavy and or fighter units with the closest number to zero hours of flight time? Who were your letters of Rec? What was your GPA, educational background? What kind of leadership positions did you occupy? Who did you work for prior to the AF?

There are always outliers, like yourself. With out more published data, people can begin to falsely believe theyre in the outlier category.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, wannabe88 said:

The point is it’s doable, like any thing, it requires luck and timing. 

You mean other than the shooting, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Signed, TAMI/BRAC'05 YG casualties.

Jest aside, congrats. 

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Upvote 1