Another Army Pilot looking to go ANG/AFR

TaleMediocre

Hello all!

Stoked to finally be here typing this and possibly start this process. Army Guard RLO looking at going the AFR route through the civil path to wings program. Was in new hire airline training last January when we got sent home from COVID. Volunteered for a CONUS deployment that I am about half way through to weather the storm. I've already been recalled and am now on mil leave, but looking to head back to my regional to knock out the ATP prior to transitioning to the AF. From hearing other's timelines, it sounds like that shouldn't be an issue.

• Clemson University: Management
  • GPA: 3.33
  • AFOQT: P99/N90/AA81/V78/Q74
  • PCSM: 99
  • Commercial- helicopter/instrument ratings, SEL, MEL and instrument-airplane ratings
  • Flight experience: 1,008 flight hours (will be in the neighborhood of 13-1400 this fall)
    • Military: 605 (mix of CH-47 and UH-72)
    • Civilian: 403 (mix of single engine and multi engine, planning on adding another 100 or so hours to this over the next 6-7 months)
  • LORs
    • Retired F16 O-5/UPS pilot
    • O-4 Company Commander (for applications requiring commander LOR)
    • CW5 CH-47 Instructor Pilot/Maintenance Test Pilot
    • Civilian Flight Instructor (for the CPW application requiring CFI LOR)
  • Currently serving as an OIC in charge of 2 aircraft and 15 personnel

Waiting on the last letter to get back to me then planning to work with the Bogi Dope guys on my application and eventually interview prep assuming I am offered any opportunities to interview.

Here's the catch: I'm a pretty tall dude (6'8"-6'9"), and definitely over the butt to knee length max for the T-6. From reading the waiver guide, it looks like being over that measurement is a non-waiverable condition and generally you'd be SOL. This is where the CPW caught my eye. Being able to bypass the T-6 (assuming I'm found qualified) and head straight to the T-1 should eliminate that issue I would think as you're not limited by an ejection seat. As far as I know this program is only available in the AFR. If anyone has heard it being available in the ANG, please let me know as that would drastically increase options for me. I've also heard of people saying you can sign some sort of release form with the T-6 saying you understand ejecting is not going to go well for you, but no idea if that is actually a thing or not. I know this will be a long road, but I had to jump through multiple hoops to make the Army thing work so I'm ready to take it on.

Primarily interested in living in the Southeast, but planning on casting a wide net to see what responses I get.

Happy to be here!

TaleMedicore

Edited by TaleMediocre

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GHawk said:

I’m a current UH-60 ARNG RLO that got picked up for ANG heavies and am scheduled to spend a week in San Antonio for the CPW validation in the very near future. Good luck!

That’s awesome, congrats! Do you have any information about the process for the ANG side? All information and contacts I have are Reserves. I can PM you

• TaleMediocre changed the title to Another Army Pilot looking to go ANG/AFR