How am I going to charge my electric car?

arg

5 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Never got into the Porsche thing, I guess my crank is too big.

Always been a fan of American Muscle, they won't turn for shit but look great going in a straight line. 

Here is my baby -

IMG_3580.thumb.jpg.bc07e8abaae1c66895e8807b06b87c0f.jpg

Just finished rebuilding the motor (327 HP), now turning 450HP on the dyno...that's a lot for a light fiberglass car.

IMG_6892.thumb.JPG.4d512765018694054a8d6a5e49cba72a.JPG

IMG_6891(1).thumb.JPG.2a0bed65d4f22815b8dda03f1548d585.JPG

Going to need video of the initial start. That always made my private parts tingle. 

C7 Grand Sport...best car we’ve owned and by far the most insane that I’ve been on the track with. It was hard to trust the car the first two laps but fook  me it was eye-watering every lap after. Tried for the ZL1 1LE but the car seats wouldn’t fit. 😑

7 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

I just bought the X6M for my wife.  523 HP, 0-60 in 4.1 Sec.  I hate to admit it but the thing is a rocket ship.

IMG_6212.thumb.jpg.754cd5d593dc39c562c59ba6b044c119.jpg

So that’s exactly my point. The X6M and Model X Plaid both cost $120k and the Tesla goes 0-60 in 2.5s. And it’s American. To each their own, but new gasoline cars might as well be powered by steam engines. Old ones are cool, though.

There are a couple of aspects to subscriptions, which are definitely getting attention in the industry.  One is to address the decline in car ownership among Milennials. They all want to live in Brooklyn, be hipsters or techies (half-joking) and make sure they’ve got the latest indie music as well as smartphone. Mfgs are launching plans like Freedom Boat Club where you pay $X per month to get access to Y range of vehicles. Not sure if it will work as the target audience has to value cars as desirable accessories. 

Software subscriptions for features and performance are a natural evolution and a great source of steady incremental revenue. Both to unlock existing capability (advanced driver assistance) that you didn’t pay for when you bought the car and new features through code updates. Some of you might know that BMW announced this last summer although they’ve had the Connected Drive Store for a few years. Good article in TechCrunch. 

On 2/22/2021 at 3:20 PM, ClearedHot said:

Never got into the Porsche thing, I guess my crank is too big.

Always been a fan of American Muscle, they won't turn for shit but look great going in a straight line. 

Here is my baby -

IMG_3580.thumb.jpg.bc07e8abaae1c66895e8807b06b87c0f.jpg

Just finished rebuilding the motor (327 HP), now turning 450HP on the dyno...that's a lot for a light fiberglass car.

IMG_6892.thumb.JPG.4d512765018694054a8d6a5e49cba72a.JPG

IMG_6891(1).thumb.JPG.2a0bed65d4f22815b8dda03f1548d585.JPG

Dammit, now you’ve made me regret selling my stingray all over again!  They’ll always be my favorite car. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Majestik Møøse said:

So that’s exactly my point. The X6M and Model X Plaid both cost $120k and the Tesla goes 0-60 in 2.5s. And it’s American. To each their own, but new gasoline cars might as well be powered by steam engines. Old ones are cool, though.

I agree. I can really only think of two reasons not to buy a Tesla over similarly priced competition:

1. You are going to use it as more than just a commuter car and live in a place where the charging infrastructure isn't full up yet. 

2. You are an enthusiast and want a drivers car. 

But for pretty much any other situation the Tesla is going to be the superior choice. When you consider cost of ownership, performance, features, practicality, and continuing improvements in the form of over the air updates Tesla simply blows everyone else out of the water.

• Upvote 1

Probably should start a thread for opinions about why some people prefer explosions under their hood, or would rather hear whining.  The whining includes whatever custom sounds the EV maker has put in place to warn children crossing to watch-out!

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2021 at 9:23 AM, ryleypav said:

That picture is from 2014 in Sweden, when the company Alpine Helicopters was testing de-icing windmill blades during an ice storm with boiling water. 

I get the irony, but it's a false narrative using that picture for the current events. 

You don't think they added some deice fluid to their boiling water water?  And where did they get the heat to boil the water, a volcano?

One that everyone forgets about in these discussions about EVs is the Fisker Karma. Technically they went bankrupt in 2013 and it’s a hybrid, but the brand is back. 

Karma has a gas engine generator for when you exceed the electric only range, but all the power to the wheels is from the electric motors. I thought that was a decently interesting one. 

2 minutes ago, JimNtexas said:

You don't think they added some deice fluid to their boiling water water?  And where did they get the heat to boil the water, a volcano?

The article from the original testing of that deicing picture states that it is just boiling water sprayed at a high pressure. So, I'd say no deice fluid to answer your question. They aren't trying to make these things fly, just free up to operate normally. Where they get the heat is irrelevant to the picture/point of it. The picture was used incorrectly to try and make it seem as if windmills cannot operate in icy conditions. When they indeed can and do quite regularly.

10 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

One that everyone forgets about in these discussions about EVs is the Fisker Karma. Technically they went bankrupt in 2013 and it’s a hybrid, but the brand is back. 

Karma has a gas engine generator for when you exceed the electric only range, but all the power to the wheels is from the electric motors. I thought that was a decently interesting one. 

Fisker had a lot more problems than a simple bankruptcy. See this video for more details:

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Pooter said:

Fisker had a lot more problems than a simple bankruptcy. See this video for more details:

Haha, yeah I forgot about some of those engineering problems. Bursting into flames? Don’t worry about that. 

I’m definitely intrigued by the re-start as Karma Revero, though. 

Yeah, but when I PCS I can get in and out of a Chevron in 5 minutes. I'll fill the tank and hit the restroom. Then clean the windows. Back on the road in 5 mins and that's with a Tundra. I don't have all day to be sitting at a supercharger. You can't avoid major traffic in cities if you have to account for having to supercharge during road trips.
Also, a trip in a Tesla is going to take far longer than any gas powered vehicle because you can't always charge along your route of travel. So you're basically wasting electricity to arrive at your final destination and traveling a longer distance. 

Superchargers can put 200 miles in “the tank” in 15 minutes. The navigation app also knows where superchargers are and you can plan the stops...along major highways...in advance.

You’re full of shit.

42 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

Superchargers can put 200 miles in “the tank” in 15 minutes. The navigation app also knows where superchargers are and you can plan the stops...along major highways...in advance.

You’re full of shit.

The recharging issue was legitimate but is now figured out. There are lithium chemistries that withstand fast charging although cycle life takes a hit.  The infrastructure just needs to be filled out, which is underway.  Of course all those electrons flowing at 4000A+ have to come from somewhere without dragging down the local grids. Solar canopies aren’t a complete solution.  But, hey, isn’t there a company starting with a “T” that makes huge battery farms?  Seems like a nice complimentary business oppty. THAT is the bottleneck. 

Edited by Swamp Yankee

8 hours ago, MyCS said:

Yeah, but when I PCS I can get in and out of a Chevron in 5 minutes. I'll fill the tank and hit the restroom. Then clean the windows. Back on the road in 5 mins and that's with a Tundra. I don't have all day to be sitting at a supercharger. You can't avoid major traffic in cities if you have to account for having to supercharge during road trips.

Also, a trip in a Tesla is going to take far longer than any gas powered vehicle because you can't always charge along your route of travel. So you're basically wasting electricity to arrive at your final destination and traveling a longer distance. 

Unless you're going into some pretty off the beaten path of major highways/interstates you aren't going to have a problem getting a charge that isn't on your gas route anyway.  You are absolutely correct on the additional charge time versus gas time though.  To get from Tucson to Albuquerque is around 6.5 hours straight by google.   Make it 7 hours for gas/piss stops (on the high side).  Using Tesla's route planner, the same trip will take 8.5 hours to get there using Model 3 standard range.  If you up your model to the model S (a lot more money) you can cut it down to 7.5 hours.  

I’m still mind blown that Tesla hasn’t spent more time trying to attack the segment I think would make the most impact in wedging it’s self into American driveways.

Crossover/SUV/minivan is what I need as a middle class household with the budget to afford an EV, not a luxury sedan or hyper powered space truck. And no the Model X absolutely does not qualify for this. I don’t need a battery powered Jeep Compass

Where the heck is the Tesla model to take on the Honda Pilots of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone have experience owning one and going through a PCS overseas? I'm looking into buying, but the chance of being sent overseas for a first assignment and the support/lackthereof in EU or Asia is something I'm aware of. I've done some googling, but looking for personal/modern experience.

Anyone have experience owning one and going through a PCS overseas? I'm looking into buying, but the chance of being sent overseas for a first assignment and the support/lackthereof in EU or Asia is something I'm aware of. I've done some googling, but looking for personal/modern experience.

Bro that’s a risk regardless of vehicle. Going overseas with a stateside vehicle of any kind can incur all sorts of negatives like loss of warranty plans, issues with vehicle smog/safety requirements...

There is a reason pretty much ever overseas installation has a known place everybody buys their beater car from. Also you damn sure don’t take anything nice to Korea.

Personal advice I’d give anybody short for orders is don’t buy anything, particularly if there is a risk/desire to go OCONUS.

4 hours ago, Lawman said:

I’m still mind blown that Tesla hasn’t spent more time trying to attack the segment I think would make the most impact in wedging it’s self into American driveways.

Crossover/SUV/minivan is what I need as a middle class household with the budget to afford an EV, not a luxury sedan or hyper powered space truck. And no the Model X absolutely does not qualify for this. I don’t need a battery powered Jeep Compass

Where the heck is the Tesla model to take on the Honda Pilots of the world.

The Model Y is out already and most equivalent at a starting price of 42k.  They are also building another of its type according to Elon when he was on Rogan

Edited by uhhello

The Model Y is out already and most equivalent at a starting price of 42k.  They are also building another of its type according to Elon when he was on Rogan

It is a compact... crossover... barely.

Look around you when you drive literally anywhere in Suburbia, or look behind you if you’re like me and have a pair of car seats. That is not a comparable vehicle size to the big burly 3rd row might be an option SUVs that America has been in love with since the mid 90s.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about when I say I’m confused at exactly how Tesla is supposedly this revolutionary idea. It seems like they really want to just creat a buzz, and let a major manufacturer like GM or Ford do the heavy lifting of producing the mass of vehicles we actually buy, meanwhile Tesla will happily reap the benefits of being the go to source for infrastructure investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Lawman said:

That’s exactly what I’m talking about when I say I’m confused at exactly how Tesla is supposedly this revolutionary idea. It seems like they really want to just creat a buzz, and let a major manufacturer like GM or Ford do the heavy lifting of producing the mass of vehicles we actually buy, meanwhile Tesla will happily reap the benefits of being the go to source for infrastructure investment.

They make the world’s quickest cars that never need servicing and can drive themselves if you don’t care to. Things that all of the antique automakers are unable to do. You can charge them using the goddam roof of your energy-independent Powerwall system that they also build.

It’s the most American thing ever, built here, and the envy of the world.

But yeah, I can’t see how that’s revolutionary.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1