Staying Beyond 20/Taking IDE

Bode

Thanks I really appreciate your words. It means a ton.

And that goes to all the advise on remarks given. I have read every post and even sent some messages to continue a couple conversations. My personal and professional goals with the military are pulling me one way while the enticing lifestyle and money of the airlines are pulling me the other. I never went and got my ATP before the rule change because I never wanted to fly for the airlines. Now here I am, letting the airline jobs have an impact on my decisions.

Yeah man, I’m in the same boat. Never wanted to fly for airlines but as I see my USAF career winding down, the ease of cash for work involved is enticing.

I’m staying in past 20 just because I’m having fun. No strings attached, the USAF can’t deploy me, can’t PCS me without my vote.

So as an O-5, no bonus, it’s gotta be worth ~$150k to make me stay. And it is. I fly a few times a week, have a real officer job that wasn’t my choice but I put 5hrs a week into it maybe?

Goals, wants, desires greatly differently. You probably know what you already will do, as long as you are informed.

My take on being a commander...where and for who matters greatly as well as the mission. Sone places you can really make a difference. Other places you can’t. So factor that in. Will you be leading a squadron with a goal, or just an interim manager and what did that cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

If you get hired by an airline take it. No doubt. Cargo is only hiring for now. But the other 4 pax will soon. ASAM/IDE sucks. Staff sucks. But if you can’t get hired I guess go the school/staff route...then hope you have an assignment that you’re flying before retiring/separating. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Well I’m going for it as long as we can work out my wife’s situation. She’s at 20 and is going through an MEB. It was supposed to be done next month but they messed up some of her tests so it’s delayed a couple months. Currently working through leadership on both sides to see what we can do to either PCS her or speed up her process. Problem number one is her paperwork is with the MEB and we all know how quickly they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk