Sq/CCs...how much do they fly?

Bigred

As the title suggests, I’m curious how much the Sq/CCs in the various communities fly? 

In my part of the world, they don’t seem to fly that often. I’m wondering if it’s similar elsewhere or if they all tend to minimally fly? 

I would think it depends wildly on the airframe. I have familiarity in the upt and bomber world. In UPT squadrons, commanders get tagged for 89 rides virtually non-stop so this forces them to fly a decent amount. Additionally they're usually an evaluator and do a lot of the IP form 8s. 

In the bomber world sq/ccs are usually high time guys (often patches) with most of the LOX checked off. So they fly a lot simply by virtue of their numerous quals. 

The biggest flying time drop offs I see is when people move to the OSS or up to the group/wing. Other communities are probably different though. 

• Like 1

As a WIC/SQ CC I flew as much as humanly possible, often at the expense of my family.  I discussed with my family before becoming the DO, they already knew the importance of relevance and competency and the agreed to support me.  I also valued the relationship with the Ops Squadrons and as were were colocated I often flew basic qual rides with new students going through RTU which I found very rewarding.  Being a CC was the highlight of my career, it was also the realization that I was on an island.  Many things happen with people behind the scenes and often you can't share that with the masses.  I made several VERY unpopular decisions, one nearly causes a revolt by my WIC instructors, but they didn't have all the data and I couldn't tell them.  One thing I did notice was experience provided a base that didn't require me to fly 4-5 days a week.  Not trying to brag, but I returned to fly twice and both times had an extensive requal syllabus presented.  Both times I proficiency advanced through about half of the syllabus, I even "out-shot" evaluator who challenged my on my checkride.   Personally, I felt comfortable after five rides, things came back very quickly.  My real focus was on tech, tactics and procedure changes that occurred while I was off at school/staff.

As a Wing/CV I flew at least one day a week, I forced the staff to build a brick wall around that item on my calendar, often it meant I would work another 12 hours after a 10-12 hour mission plan, fly, debreif cycle, but it was completely worth it.

• Upvote 9

In my experience being in the MAF for 16 years (excluding FTU time), Sq/CC’s rarely flew because a lot of them were PHOENIX products and what community they commanded in wasn’t the community they “grew up” in. A majority of them were poor flyers to begin.

I had a Sq/CC tell me once he didn’t feel “comfortable” instructing in the KC-135 compared to his time in the C-130, so he’d rather just be an evaluator. I reminded him he’d done two flying assignments in the KC-135 and left the C-130 after one assignment. Thankfully, that dipshit is an OG/CC now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1