Guard F16 crew chief/fighter hopeful

I'll try not to write my life's story, we'll see how that goes..

PCSM 84 with 65 flt hrs, ppl hopefully early February if I can leave DC anytime soon.

PCSM is 95 with 201+ hrs

94 Pilot, 99 nav, 62/78/45 for the rest.

3.0 GPA in basketweaving

27 years old, July birthday

3 LORs, from Lt Col maintenance commander; fighter Squadron D.O., Major; and a Lt Col Pilot, all from my unit.

- crew chief of the quarter first quarter back from tech school, 2 achievement medals, currently in DC protecting the capitol

- executive board of students against drunk driving through high school

- hockey team captain for 3 years of travel/semi pro hockey

- volunteer at my unit to help clean up the roads picking up trash etc.

- volunteered for about 6 tdys, activated on rotation for three 3 month deployments.

- 8 years in the guard, F16 crew chief and I get along with all the pilots at the base.

I applied to my own unit where I know all the pilots well, many said to be rooting for me, as well as helping me with resume/interview prep, etc.

Got passed over by my unit, basically the president of the board who is the Lt Col ops group commander and the pilot of my jet that I was ADCC of before I received my own as DCC, told me I should've been applying 3 or 4 years ago and it shows I lack dedication. He told me to do some soul searching and if I really want fighters I should consider active duty, or expanding to heavies.

I have been passed over for an interview at Boise for a10s, Baltimore for a10s, tucson F-16s, interviewed at my unit, atlantic city F-16s and waiting to hear back from Vermont, but I'm not too optimistic given my record of 0 for 3 on interviews, and not getting hired at my own unit who encouraged me so much beforehand.

I was told by the pilots I work with that I had competitive scores and the PCSM will come with time(flying when I can afford it) but it wasn't a deal breaker by any means, and that my experience in the maintenance world along with my scores would get me a slot if I applied for a timeline of a year and a half, with active duty as a last ditch resort; however I'm much less optimistic now and looking at cheyenne wyoming/great falls montana per his advice. Is my TBAS bad? is being 27 (28 soon) an issue for fighters? are my other afoqt scores making me less competitive even with a 94/99? Are my degree type and GPA holding me back? my first two years were as a mathematics major, but that's not obvious to those reviewing my transcripts unless they see it on my resume.

I do NOT want to give up on my life's dream of being a fighter pilot and simply take whatever I can get, but it's starting to look like I don't have a shot, or am I missing something? Covid has obviously made it near impossible to rush units.. but I feel like I'm not standing out on merit or experience at all either.  I was told my ops group commander may be promoted out soon, and the next board may have a new president for my unit and I'd get a better shot, but that's a lot of "ifs".

Please advise, thanks for reading!

Edited by julietecho13
  • Like 1

@John3806
i like to think I get along well! I'm a team player, (hockey, named captain, and as a crew chief I work with so many different people day to day, sports my whole life) the pilots and I have built a great rapport over the last 5 years or so.

I actually did the 500$ bogidope combo last year before they increased the price, and got great feedback on my resume and cover letter, and practice with two of the pilots through the company for interview prep. I thought I nailed my interview at my base, we were all serious when necessary, and laughing when appropriate. almost seemed like a formality that I was going through with some long time work friends, and then I wasn't selected haha I'm just not sure why I can't even get myself an interview anywhere else, let alone worry about bombing the interview.. should I be ringing phones off the hook at these units before and after submitting my package? they're not having rushes or anything typically as far as I can tell

Nice! I did one of the Bogidope packages as well and I think it helped me a lot. 

I interviewed with my own unit 4 times before I finally got picked up so I'd keep at it. Maybe they want to see the persistence while also improving your package each time? 

Also, I know it's not a requirement to be hired, but finishing up your PPL like you mentioned you might do next month certainly can't hurt your chances. When I was on the interview circuit I swear 95%+ of the other candidates I talked to had a PPL at minimum. 

Keep at it! 

• 3 weeks later...

I interviewed with VT (when I probably should have declined the interview) if you wanna message me for insight, I'd say your're sitting pretty for them but you need to get the interview right. I thought I submitted competitive app to Atlantic City too and was deflated when they said the average age was like 22, so I retooled and am trying Active Duty as a last ditch (also 27).