Need Alaska fishing outfitter

nunya

I'm planning a trip to Alaska in June with my dad and 10 year old son.  We'd like to fish freshwater for salmon, trout, etc. We need suggestions on outfitters/guides. 

Ideally we'll find a lodge close to or even on the river we fish.  Fly away day trips are an option, but no tent overnights. Google results are overwhelming and personal experiences are always better than anonymous reviews, so thanks in advance for your sage wisdom!

Which river or what part of the state are you going to fish?  If your based out of Anchorage you can easily fish ship creek without a guide.    Also know that some rivers you might not be able to catch Kings (check with Alaska state fisheries) which run the time of year you are planning to be there.  

I was stationed in Alaska (Elmo). I have family up there and multiple friends.

just let me know where you plan to fish. Have you considered trolling for salmon and halibut? 

• Thanks 1

Wide open as far as location/river/part of the state.  We don't know enough to narrow it down and the location is secondary to the experience.  We'll have to fly airlines in, so that's the only LIMFAC.  Let's say drivable from ANC or FAI, or one hop from those hubs on some kind of scheduled service.  

I mentioned trolling, but my dad isn't interested in that this time.  Wants to cast and reel and might bring his fly rod.

For June I would recommend staying at a couple different places down on the Kenai Peninsula.  I would highly recommend staying in Coopers Landing in mid June for fishing the Kenai and Russian Rivers for the first run of Sockeye (Reds) Salmon and Rainbow trout.  Opening day is usually June 11.  You can wade fish on the Russian and then would recommend taking a drift boat on the Kenai.  Lots of good guides in Cooper landing that will get you on fish in both rivers.  Homer is also a great place to visit and going out on a Charter Boat and fishing deep for Halibut is a great time.  You almost always get your limit and usually walk away with a bunch of fish that costs about $20 a pound in the store.  Definitely go on a private charter and don’t go on the large party fishing boats that go after smaller halibut.  There are a couple different fish processing places that will flash freeze and vacuum seal your fish for reasonable rates so you can fly it back home.

Edited by go_cubbies22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as convenience base out of ANC and head down to the Kenia peninsula.  You have multiple options for spots.  When the fish run it can be combat fishing and people doing suicide runs— most head to the Russian river. Shore fishing-no guide necessary-just find a spot and start to cast. 

combat means you are shoulder to shoulder. No shit. Suicide runs because people fish all day through the night and fish the next day. Allows for more fish in possession. But they have been up fo over 30 hours and tend to end up in head on accidents on the way home, some die, hence the name. 

Kasilof and Kenai rivers are prob you best bet.  Most guides tend to be drift boats. However I’m sure if you want to fly fish they will accomadate. 

If you want to fish dolly varden or rainbows you can do that on base (you could 6 years ago when I was there) and there are plenty of streams to pull off on the side of the road and fish on your way to the kenai peninsula. 

I’ll reach out to my fam and friends and Pm you with a couple of guides at various spots

Would also recommend doing a drift boat charter for King Salmon on the Kasilof River and then getting a guide for wade fishing for King Salmon on the Anchor River.  Beginning to mid June is about the peak for both of those runs.  You can pack a lot of awesome fishing into a 10-14 day trip on the Kenai Peninsula in June.  

• Thanks 1

I'd recommend going with Alaska Kenai Fishing for Fun. Brad Kirr, owner/guide, teaches science locally during the winter and has been guiding for 10+ years on the Kenai Peninsula. He put me onto my first rod/reel King on the Kasilof last summer (I've been here for 9 years). Because he teaches middle school he's got a good teaching manner if you need some help with the "Russian River floss." (You're not really fly fishing like you would Montana and you're not really casting like you would plugging for bass.)

He's a good friend of ours and even though my wife and I have all the gear to combat fish the Russian we have made it an annual tradition to charter with Brad once a summer. Brad can guide you to the right spot for any/all of the species you described. If you're down there for the Russian opener this year we might see you on the river as my wife and I enjoy going for the opener just to watch all the people from the "Lesser 48" think the river is on the set of "A River Runs Through It" 

Have several pairs of polarized sunglasses. If you're fishing the Russian "sight" fishing has always worked the best for us; "sight" fishing is literally walking up and down the banks/shallows until you see a slug of salmon and casting in front of them. Additionally, the glasses save your eyes from all the Texans slinging lead and hooks all over the place.

If you're fishing the Russian and/or the confluence, where the Kenai/Russian come together, be bear aware (Really this goes for anywhere in Alaska INCLUDING in Anchorage. I saw probably 10 bears of various flavors last year while fishing half a dozen times. If you're going to fish on your own make sure you read/understand the regulations. General ROT is if you're fishing by yourself (even at 2AM) you're probably in the wrong spot. AK Fish and Game is no joke as they will walk around, look like a normal fisherman, and start handing out citations. 

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to discuss more...We're starting to plan all of our camping/fishing for this summer. Assuming the 'Rona calms down those places fill up fast (I'd imagine close campgrounds are already close to capacity for the opener). 

• Thanks 1