Long shot - MAC C-5A Crew, Egypt, 21 Sept 1977

Steve Davies

This is a really long shot, and I apologise for the cryptic nature of it, but...

Does anyone know MAC C-5 crewmembers who flew classified missions through the 1970s? Probably part of a unit whose mission included supporting AFSC and CIA. I would imagine it was a tight-knit community, but I don't know anyone who was part of it. 

Specifically, I am looking to speak to a crew who flew into Egypt on 21 Sept 1977.

TIA

12 hours ago, Orbit said:

I bet there is a C-5 facebook group with old timers in it.

There's one for MX folk, but to join you have to answer questions about HYD systems and tyre pressures! Couldn't find anything for aircrew, but it was a good idea. 

1 hour ago, Steve Davies said:

There's one for MX folk, but to join you have to answer questions about HYD systems and tyre pressures! Couldn't find anything for aircrew, but it was a good idea. 

You could try the 3rd Military Airlift Squadron group...closed group, but maybe message the moderator. Think they used to fly SOLL II when the C-5 did it, lots of old timers there. 

• Upvote 1

Good luck finding anybody. The AC on that flight is probably pushing 70-80+ depending on their age at the time, and isn't on social media telling stories about the Langley missions he flew. If he's even alive. MAC in the seventies was a smoking/drinking culture.

Even if you manage to locate one of them, talking to an English journalist about a code-word mission they flew is going to be tricky.

Given your accomplishments, I wouldn't count you out.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Story time Hoss

I did an ETSS gig in Egypt flying F-16s for a year. It was wonderful. We were on dip passports, the only other Usaf F-16 pilot in country was my boss, who was 90 minutes away. I owned a compound with 140 local national employees. 

and 90% of the effort was running an expat bar in Cairo and scuba diving the Red Sea. 

Recommend 

• Upvote 1