Going AD while pursuing Guard/Reserve

Dangerzone

After pursuing the whole "Guard is the best kept secret" route to earning my wings with no avail for the past year, I bit the bullet and called up the line officer recruiter to put in an app for an OTS pilot slot, reason being is AD is so backed up, rated board in June of 2021, OTS dates not until Summer 2022, UPT probably Fall 2022, I wanted to get that clock started in the background while I continue shot gunning apps to Guard/Reserve units. 

I told the recruiter I had applied to a couple UPT boards with the guard and he said he can't push my AD application in that case, it has to be one or the other, and essentially if I get picked up at the rated board there's no going back... 

Anyone have any SA on this, or is he being selfish and not wanting to process paperwork knowing in the back of his mind if I get a guard call first i'll go that route which is 100% the truth and he'll have wasted his time. 

At the end of the day I'm just trying for a UPT slot, I think my best chance is the guard but I wanted to start the AD thing since it will take a 1.5+ years, but I don't want to screw myself if I were to get a primary slot with a guard unit in the next half year. 

Thanks in advance

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Until you sign paperwork accepting your AD rated slot (via OTS), you’re not obligated to shit. Maybe it’s even after that point, but not before (I do know you can turn down an OTS slot if you don’t like the AFSC offered). So do what you want, but I wouldn’t have an issue telling that recruiter you’ve seen the light and are all in for AD (while continuing to apply for guard units). Take the first rated offer that comes your way. Your recruiter sounds like he’s being lazy, like a lot of recruiters.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

If you're going to try the AD route prepare for delays, frustrations, switching to different recruiters (50% won't even push your application) and perhaps them offering you a non-pilot job even if you get through it.  I spent 2.5 years beating on that line officer recruiting door only to get a CSO offer which I had to decline.  Like Brabus said apply everywhere.  Until you sign on the dotted line it's just an offer not a commitment.  

Also if you're willing to entertain the Navy side consider them.  There recruiters seem to do a better job getting an answers quickly.