Chuck Yeager Dead

Sua Sponte

15 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

He was a complete raging asshole...but one hell of a pilot and an American hero. 

RIP

nickel-on-the-grass.jpg

Two

My parents bought me The Right Stuff movie (on VHS, movie is so long it took TWO tapes) when I was a kid.  I know now that some of the stuff in the film was only loosely based in fact but I loved that movie, watched it all the time.  

Yeager and the guys of his generation beat one of the greatest evils on earth, then repeatedly strapped themselves into untested machines and kept pushing that envelope.  Asshole or not, cheers to a great American.  🥃

4 minutes ago, DirkDiggler said:

Two

My parents bought me The Right Stuff movie (on VHS, movie is so long it took TWO tapes) when I was a kid.  I know now that some of the stuff in the film was only loosely based in fact but I loved that movie, watched it all the time.  

Yeager and the guys of his generation beat one of the greatest evils on earth, then repeatedly strapped themselves into untested machines and kept pushing that envelope.  Asshole or not, cheers to a great American.  🥃

Still pretty bad when the reputation among your peers after your dead is "mixed reviews." I'm certainly gracious for his accomplishments but being a decent human being is a far more important threshold to meet in life. 

22 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Still pretty bad when the reputation among your peers after your dead is "mixed reviews." I'm certainly gracious for his accomplishments but being a decent human being is a far more important threshold to meet in life. 

Sadly, our society doesn't put decent human beings into history books the way we do with assholes who have a major accomplishment.

• Upvote 2

Beale was named after a Navy Lieutenant that died 10 years before the Wright Brothers historic flight.  He even graduated from the precursor to Annapolis.  

I will be surprised if the Beale name sticks.  

• Upvote 1

Beale was also a brigadier general in the California Militia.  California Governor John Bigler commissioned him at that rank to give him additional authority to negotiate peace treaties between the Native Americans and the U.S. Army.

• Like 1