AD UPT Chances

RobertSP

Hello everyone,

I am hoping to get an Active Duty UPT slot in the next board. I am 29, and will have my degree (Business Management) by March of 2021. I took the AFOQT in October, my pilot subsection was not as good as I had hoped, I am thinking because of my math (I timed out of quite a few questions). My scores were as follows:

Pilot: 67 Nav: 56 Acad: 61 Verbal: 76 Quant: 46

I took my TBAS last week and I am in the 61-80 flight hours section with a PCSM of 72 (85 in the 201 and up column)

In my degree program I have a 4.0, however a previous college transcript I have quite a few W's that I think are going to lower my GPA, not 100% how that works. For flight hours I am getting ready for check ride for PPL and currently doing Aerobatic Training/Upset Recovery.

Anyone think I have a shot even with my AFOQT like that (for Active Duty) or do you think I will definitely have to retake the AFOQT? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

14 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

There are guys and gals that took 1.5yrs to make it from first recruiter appt to OTS. 

Only 1.5 years?  That's a good one.  Took almost 3 years for me.  

image.png.4b948f31773d644b870a159347a9ac66.png

But all joking aside and to echo what Kilo said get those scores up.  I had stellar scores (90+ across the board), great letters of rec, and was still non-select for pilot for an AD board (like you I'm a bit on the older side so that might have had something to do with it).  I'd try Guard/Reserve simultaneously and also consider the Navy.  The Navy recruiters seem to get folks before a board really quickly something I cannot say about any Air Force ones.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, tarheelaviator said:

Only 1.5 years?  That's a good one.  Took almost 3 years for me.  

image.png.4b948f31773d644b870a159347a9ac66.png

But all joking aside and to echo what Kilo said get those scores up.  I had stellar scores (90+ across the board), great letters of rec, and was still non-select for pilot for an AD board (like you I'm a bit on the older side so that might have had something to do with it).  I'd try Guard/Reserve simultaneously and also consider the Navy.  The Navy recruiters seem to get folks before a board really quickly something I cannot say about any Air Force ones.  

Yikes three years of trying! Kudos for your perseverance! What was you PCSM when selected? I am also trying to determine if I did well on the TBAS, if my pilot section was as low as it is, and my PCSM can be at 85 even with that, it seems I did pretty well yeah? Idk, any input on that part in particular?

Also I have taken the ASTB and scores are as follows:

OAR: 52

AQR: 7

PFAR: 9 

FOFAR: 8

Having a 9 in the PFAR made the Navy pretty confident in me getting selected. My concern is I want fighter, and there are less fighter roles, I'd rather not get stuck flying the hawkeye or greyhound, don't get me wrong I am grateful for any opportunity I get, but if I went Navy it would be pretty important to me to get F/A-18 or F-35. In the Air Force, I feel I would probably have a higher chance of getting a fighter role (more platforms available = more chance right?).  

26 minutes ago, RobertSP said:

Having a 9 in the PFAR made the Navy pretty confident in me getting selected. My concern is I want fighter, and there are less fighter roles, I'd rather not get stuck flying the hawkeye or greyhound, don't get me wrong I am grateful for any opportunity I get, but if I went Navy it would be pretty important to me to get F/A-18 or F-35. In the Air Force, I feel I would probably have a higher chance of getting a fighter role (more platforms available = more chance right?).  

PCSM 92/AFOQT Pilot 98.  I am exclusively doing the Reserve/Guard track now as the AD application process is just too slow.  I also took the ASTB and those are solid scores (DM me for details on the Navy track).  Also if you're interested at all in the Navy or Marines, Airwarriors is pretty much their version of this forum and there is better gouge there.  

I'll respectfully disagree that your chances for Strike Fighter would be lower than going the fighter/bomber track with the Air Force.  If you do the active duty process with either branch, no airframe is guaranteed.  It's still a combination of your performance in flight school and what's available during your drop.  The Navy still has a major strike fighter aviator shortage just like the AD Air Force has a fighter pilot shortage but there never is a shortage of people who want to do those jobs.  

If you want a guaranteed 100% fighter slot you have to secure a spot with a Guard/Reserve squadron that flies them.  Other than that it's always going to be a risk.  

Edited by tarheelaviator