WALSH: A Woman Played In A College Football Game And Immediately Proved Why Women Don’t Belong In Men’s Sports

M2

Why couldn’t they have the SA to let her just kick it off normally instead of squibbing it down the side (which she did nicely)? To Joe Six Pack that doesn’t know football, that kick looked terrible and undercuts the coolness of the moment. 

• Like 1

Just read the article and a few thoughts:

1. You absolutely design kicks like that to keep the ball away from certain returners. If that’s what was called, well done. If not, then yikes.

2. She gave a halftime speech to fire up the team? Holy fuck. I played D1 football and nobody ever did that. If some girl that had been on the team for a week would’ve nagged us at halftime with what she was saying, I may have had a stroke and died on the spot.

3. That article was pretty damn funny and spot on.

If your football team can't sell tickets by winning games, maybe they'll sell tickets with absurd PR stunts.  The sad part is this doesn't play into the advancement of women's equality as they think it does.  I have no doubt the school used her simply because she is female.  In my mind, that is the opposite of equality.  If a guy just uses a girl, that guy is judged by women to be a bad person, but if a school uses a girl, apparently that's laudable and hailed as an achievement.

I wonder if it was actually called as a squib kick (prior to the kick).  If you're going to set a milestone by having the first woman kick a football in a D1 school, you know that it is going to make headlines, ESPN, and other highlight reels, and you would want it to look good.  A squib kick to the 35 does not look good.  A 15 year old JV kicker could do that.

• Upvote 1

What was the purpose of the media hyping this up in the first place? Its not like she was playing a critical role in the game. And at the end of the day...its a game...of teenagers and early 20-somethings playing one another. All this does is put extra pressure on a young kid who likely never asked for it.

There are plenty of real world examples of female military members, first responders, scientists, etc. kicking ass and doing the job without fanfare. The average American will never know their names or be able to hold them up as examples. I like to use Peggy Whitson as an example...a scientist, ISS commander, NASA chief astronaut, etc. But she'll never be a household name as recognizable as a Kardashian girl.

2 hours ago, Smokin said:

I wonder if it was actually called as a squib kick (prior to the kick).  If you're going to set a milestone by having the first woman kick a football in a D1 school, you know that it is going to make headlines, ESPN, and other highlight reels, and you would want it to look good.  A squib kick to the 35 does not look good.  A 15 year old JV kicker could do that.

Highly doubt that.  Agree with most of the points made here, but given her CV, she can kick a ball.  

Don’t get me wrong: she would have provided precisely zero help to the return coverage, but that probably was the point.  Put the ball exactly here, avoid the biggest return threats.  She did her job as asked, I’m guessing.

That’s probably the strategic blunder here: should have let her give it her best grunt, let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by BFM this

Is this the part where we pretend, regardless of the intentional or unintentional nature of the squib kick, that this makes sense.

Take the top male kickers and pit them against the top female kickers. There will be no surprises.

The fact they had to put a female into the weakest position on the weakest team does more damage to the cause. Absurd. There are plenty of sports where gender is irrelevant. Why pick one where it's most relevant?

Remember this gem?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

Edited by Lord Ratner
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lord Ratner said:

Is this the part where we pretend, regardless of the intentional or unintentional nature of the squib kick, that this makes sense.

Take the top male kickers and pit them against the top female kickers. There will be no surprises.

The fact they had to put a female into the weakest position on the weakest team does more damage to the cause. Absurd. There are plenty of sports where gender is irrelevant. Why pick one where it's most relevant?

Remember this gem?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/australian-womens-national-team-lose-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

Loved that story, and agree wholeheartedly with your points.

• Upvote 1

I get your point on over analyzing a single kick, but back to my first point, you can't tell me this was anything but a publicity stunt.  At the entire university, there wasn't a single guy who kicked in high school, but either wasn't good enough to kick in college or just didn't want to play for a team that lost as much as Vanderbilt?  I don't buy that for a minute.  Google says their student body is more than 12,000 students.  I'd bet there are more than two dozen previous high school kickers that could have stepped in.  So instead finding a student that already had experience kicking a football in an actual game, or finding a male soccer player, they went and trained up a female soccer player.  No way was their intent anything but playing a girl for the sake of playing a girl either for the publicity or to make a statement.  If I made a deliberate decision as public and as dumb as that, I would have no grounds to complain about others analyzing my decision.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Smokin said:

I get your point on over analyzing a single kick, but back to my first point, you can't tell me this was anything but a publicity stunt.  At the entire university, there wasn't a single guy who kicked in high school, but either wasn't good enough to kick in college or just didn't want to play for a team that lost as much as Vanderbilt?  I don't buy that for a minute.  Google says their student body is more than 12,000 students.  I'd bet there are more than two dozen previous high school kickers that could have stepped in. 

Well, it is Vanderbilt.....

• Upvote 1

Convince me this wasn't a publicity stunt!

Vanderbilt Players Cried When Sarah Fuller Kicked Football 30 Yards | The Daily Wire

“When is this nonsense going to end? This was nothing more than a PR stunt, which didn’t save Derek Mason’s job, and we’re now out here talking about players crying,” he wrote. “Are you kidding me? This can’t possibly be real. From the way people talk about Fuller’s kick, you’d think she was the first woman to walk on the moon.”

Best response in the comments...

I'm all women being empowered, but they treated her like a make a wish kid, the kick was horrid. It was actually embarrassing. At some point there has to be a line.

There are some other great ones so read them all!

Seriously, the entire thing is idiotic.  It proved nothing, and to celebrate it is ridiculous.  Does anyone actually believe this stunt moved the gender equality "ball" one foot closer to the goal line?!? 

And can I even use a "ball" metaphor here?!?