Gift Ideas for Pilot Selects

Metalhead731

Hi everyone,

With the holidays coming up I thought it would be a good time to post this question for anyone who would like to buy a gift for a friend/family member that will soon be attending OTS/TFOT or UPT, or for themselves if they have friends/family asking what they would like for gifts this year and would like to suggest something that would be useful in their upcoming training.

So what are some good gift ideas or things that you wished you had while at OTS or UPT that would be useful for someone who will be attending sometime in the future?

Thanks, and happy holidays to all!

A digital watch with the ability to set multiple alarms and vibrates when the alarm goes off like this one:Timex Men's T49851 Expedition Vibrating Alarm Black Resin Strap Watch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GHLEMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_sHCSFbKDKZ7QS . It was great while at OTS as I could set it for a minute or two before they started banging on the doors at 0430 and I could be some what coherent while scrambling. I’ve had it for about 2 years now and still use it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Metalhead731 said:

Good suggestion. I'm looking into an Apple watch myself.

I would recommend Garmin for smart watches. GPS capability is nice and they are more durable than Apple if you are a active person. Depending where you go they are issued in some operational squadrons. 

Most the things you need for OTS and UPT are going to be issued to you or aren’t really the best gifts. 

Booze is always a good go to. Once your graduate UPT there are a lot of cool things out there for gifts. Custom airplane models, custom watches, squadron/airplane posters and gear etc. 

2 minutes ago, viper154 said:

I would recommend Garmin for smart watches. GPS capability is nice and they are more durable than Apple if you are a active person. Depending where you go they are issued in some operational squadrons. 

Most the things you need for OTS and UPT are going to be issued to you or aren’t really the best gifts. 

Booze is always a good go to. Once your graduate UPT there are a lot of cool things out there for gifts. Custom airplane models, custom watches, squadron/airplane posters and gear etc. 

Second the Garmins.  My Tactix Charlie is phenomenal...love it.
Also...booze is always welcome.

So this is probably not what you’re looking for, but a “beer of the month” club or some kind of subscription to a food delivery service would be great. You don’t have a ton of time in UPT and those things would’ve been amazing while I was a student.