Medical Screening after Break in Service

Whitman

I got out at ADSC after flying for 12 years and have been out completely for 1.5 years now (not in IRR).  I just got hired for a flying position at a ANG unit and have just begun the process with their recruiter.  I'm looking for advice on navigating the process smoothly, especially the medical part.  Since I have 10% VA Disability for Tinnitus and 10% for knee pain the recruiter asked me to get an independent evaluation by my current doctor.  I plan to submit those findings and hopefully will be approved to go to MEPS.  I'd appreciate any gotchas specific or general that come to mind with medical and navigating the break in service.  Thanks in advance!

Whitman,

I’m currently curious about the same topic. I got out of four years in the infantry with some disability and was curious on whether getting cleared of the disability and dropping the payments was preferable, or just having independent doctors clear you of it and carrying that paperwork is enough. 
    What did the recruiter say as a whole? That just having it reviewed by a doctor and paperwork saying it would be fine would work? 

8 hours ago, Whitman said:

I got out at ADSC after flying for 12 years and have been out completely for 1.5 years now (not in IRR).  I just got hired for a flying position at a ANG unit and have just begun the process with their recruiter.  I'm looking for advice on navigating the process smoothly, especially the medical part.  Since I have 10% VA Disability for Tinnitus and 10% for knee pain the recruiter asked me to get an independent evaluation by my current doctor.  I plan to submit those findings and hopefully will be approved to go to MEPS.  I'd appreciate any gotchas specific or general that come to mind with medical and navigating the break in service.  Thanks in advance!

If you are hired to fly an airplane that's similar to what you previously flew (i.e. fixed wing to fixed wing, fighter to fighter, heavy to heavy), then you should most likely be considered a Flying Class II (trained pilot), although sometimes the AF waffles on that so there's no guarantees.  But, I would expect they would treat you as a trained asset which means that your medical standards are MUCH less stringent than those who have never flown and have to attend UPT.  I've seen fellas with some major eye problems get out and then get rehired a few years later with no problems.  But, it's the AF and it's always a bit of a roll of the dice.

1 hour ago, stuckindayton said:

If you are hired to fly an airplane that's similar to what you previously flew (i.e. fixed wing to fixed wing, fighter to fighter, heavy to heavy), then you should most likely be considered a Flying Class II (trained pilot), although sometimes the AF waffles on that so there's no guarantees.  But, I would expect they would treat you as a trained asset which means that your medical standards are MUCH less stringent than those who have never flown and have to attend UPT.  I've seen fellas with some major eye problems get out and then get rehired a few years later with no problems.  But, it's the AF and it's always a bit of a roll of the dice.

That’s good to hear that I’d be treated as a trained asset most likely.  I’ll try to research this in the regs too and see what I come up with.  Thanks!

9 hours ago, Dadams09 said:

Whitman,

I’m currently curious about the same topic. I got out of four years in the infantry with some disability and was curious on whether getting cleared of the disability and dropping the payments was preferable, or just having independent doctors clear you of it and carrying that paperwork is enough. 
    What did the recruiter say as a whole? That just having it reviewed by a doctor and paperwork saying it would be fine would work? 

He didn’t guarantee anything, but said to do an independent evaluation and he would submit that along with my other mil documents to MEPS.  From there they make a decision on whether they will even see you.  If they say no, you have to go through an Accessions Waiver.  If they say Yes, but you fail MEPS, same process w the waiver.  That’s how I understood it at least.  He said it would be an uphill battle.  Not sure if we can just turn off the disability payments, I haven’t heard of that option.  

• 1 month later...

Quick update:  we submitted the independent knee evaluation and MEPS came back saying they wanted to see the exam that the VA ordered which resulted in 10% disability for my knee (C&P exam).

Has anyone gone through this and do you have any advice on getting this paperwork?  They wouldn't give it to me on the day of the exam and getting it through the VA seems like it could take forever through the Privacy Act.  

Thanks

On 12/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, Whitman said:

Quick update:  we submitted the independent knee evaluation and MEPS came back saying they wanted to see the exam that the VA ordered which resulted in 10% disability for my knee (C&P exam).

Has anyone gone through this and do you have any advice on getting this paperwork?  They wouldn't give it to me on the day of the exam and getting it through the VA seems like it could take forever through the Privacy Act.  

Thanks

Not sure how the VA works, but I needed some files from a surgery I had. I just had to file a information request at the surgeons office, and wait for them to get the paperwork. They legally had like 30 days I think to obtain it. I told them it was urgent, and the process went a little faster.